• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

He's got it all

phlawless

I need some help finding a great gift for a dear friend who is a fantastic cook, and literally has everything one could possibly need in the kitchen. Cookware? He went to France and bought a gigantic set of copper pans. Glassware/wine? He has a small cellar and a cabinet dedicated to his Riedel. Books/Magazines? I wish my public library had his selection.

In the past I have given him cheese and other perishables, and he lives in an area where he has access to any food he might want.

HELP!!

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

How about a regional themed basket with consumable goods (ie. a New Orleans theme with coffee, beignets, etc or a carribean rum theme)? If you poke through back issues of Saveur they do regional articles frequently and you could find unusual items through their sources. Then compile a small group of recipes to include. I really appreciate food related items that can be consumed because I don't have to store them forever and I can share them with others.

Happy hunting!

I've found that usually when a person has one particular passion they appreciate a gift in an entirely different category. Your friend would appear to be in this camp?

Get him something like hockey tickets, or a gift card for dvd rentals?

SB :wink:

Agreed, get him something that is not stored in a cupboard, drawer, our countertop. Get him something consumable like theatre tickets, sports tickets, etc. If he likes potato chips, get him a membership to the chip-of-the-month club. I had that and always looked forward to the day the box arrived full of 6 bags of various flavored chips from around the country. Get him something fun. A lava Lamp is fun. Something that would not expect. Have fun looking.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Definitely something that you have made...a homemade spice blend with some recipes to go with it. You could also include a homemade cd with cool music to cook by....some candles to burn while he's cooking...a unique print for the wall...a menu from a favorite restaurant mounted and framed...

Have fun!

Lefty Ruggiero to Donnie Brasco: "Anywhere you go, all around the world, all the best cooks are men."

I do truly believe it is the Thought that Counts, and you must have a lot of thoughts about your friend.

Most food-lovers only really want food-related things at Christmas! (dont we?).

To make the food/gift basket idea even more special and personal, how about "theming" one to his particular favourite thing?. I made an ice-cream themed basket for my brother in law one year - tall sundae glasses, long spoons, various toppings (get creative here) wafers etc etc. Or if he likes lemons - all things lemon (some home-made of course) - lemon shortbread, lemon butter, limoncello, - you get the idea. All wrapped up in lemon paper. Or a 'breakfast in bed' tray of goodies, all done up nicely (dont forget the mini champagne).

And whatever else you all do, perhaps you could consider buying a virtual raffle ticket in the <a href = "http://chezpim.typepad.com/blogs/2006/12/menu_for_hope_i.html">Menu for Hope</a> fundraiser being hosted by pim, to add to your very creative baskets. Even if he has a massive library, I bet your friend doesn't have four signed editions by Tony Bourdain, or would love an evening at Alinea.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday