• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Columbia, Missouri

ulterior epicure

I'm curious; where do you all grocery shop?

Usually HyVee for their selection of organic and relatively reasonable prices. However, I like Schnucks better for produce selection and quality. I buy pork from Patchwork Family Farms. I buy cheese and other "foreign" products such as olive oil and balsamic from World Harvest. I buy bread from Uprise. I also frequent the farmer's market when possible.

Edited by A Patric (log)

Hoss's Market in south Columbia carries specialty foods and prime meat at very reasonable prices.

This article was in today's Missourian. I'm wondering if anyone's been yet. It's on my "Columbia-To-Eat-2007 List" which looks like so far:

Taqueria El Rodeo

Bangkok Gardens (I can't believe I've never been!)

Cherry Street Wine Cellar

Natasha's Euro Market

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Hoss's Market in south Columbia carries specialty foods and prime meat at very reasonable prices.

This article was in today's Missourian. I'm wondering if anyone's been yet. It's on my "Columbia-To-Eat-2007 List" which looks like so far:

Taqueria El Rodeo

Bangkok Gardens (I can't believe I've never been!)

Cherry Street Wine Cellar

Natasha's Euro Market

I've been there (Natasha's) a few times, though not for about a year. The last time I was there it was simply a grocery. Are they doing sandwiches and such now?

Edited by A Patric (log)

I'm heading to Taqueria El Rodeo tonight.  I'll keep you all posted on the results.

Prices were reasonable and service was excellent. We had at least three different people making sure that everything was fine throughout the meal, including the owner who clearly was concerned about whether we were enjoying the food.

Overall everything was very good. My dish (Jalisco-style enchiladas) had a bit too much cheese for my taste, but I can't say that this was a flaw necessarily as I think that many people would like it. I had some potatoes with my meal that were absolutely excellent. The salsa was clearly made in-house and was flavorful and spicy. The guacamole was okay, if a little bit too pureed for my taste. My wife had a shrimp dish that she absolutely loved. It was quite spicy, but also very complex in flavor, and is probably the best Mexican shrimp dish that I've ever tried (though I haven't tried many). The refried beans were much better than anything at other Columbia restaurants, as was the rice. Lastly, and importantly for me, Don Julio tequila was available.

I would certainly go back and try some different dishes, but I'll wait a bit as they still haven't started doing the home-made tortillas, though they still say they are planning to.

Anyway, this place has a lot of potential, so we'll have to see what becomes of them.

I got to thinking about pizza this morning. :blink:

Anyway, there are a few places in Columbia that have pizza that I haven't seen in other cities. Gumby's does apparently exist in other college towns, but I've yet to see another one. So, here is my list so far of pizza places:

Gumby's

Wise Guy's

Italian Village

Shakespeare's

Tony's Pizza Palace

Flatbranch

Sophia's

I think that most of these place's are okay, but I haven't been blown away. Usually I make my own pizza with home-made dough on a pizza stone, fresh buffalo mozzarella, a nice spicy evoo, garlic, fresh tomatoes, etc. It is hard to beat that, but if I'm missing another pizza place, it'd be nice to know. So my questions are: Are there any other pizza places that I am missing (aside from chains), and what is your favorite pizza place (and why)?

Gumby's... (u.e.'s mind drifts away to the land of football field-sized pizza...)...

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I got to thinking about pizza this morning.  :blink:

Anyway, there are a few places in Columbia that have pizza that I haven't seen in other cities.  Gumby's does apparently exist in other college towns, but I've yet to see another one.  So, here is my list so far of pizza places:

Gumby's

Wise Guy's

Italian Village

Shakespeare's

Tony's Pizza Palace

Flatbranch

Sophia's

Have you tried the pizza at Crossroads G&D? It is thin crust and pretty decent.

Have you tried the pizza at Crossroads G&D?  It is thin crust and pretty decent.

I forgot about G&D. I have tried it, but as I recall, I didn't find it to be special really. Maybe I'll have to try it again to see if that was just bad luck.

Thanks

Have you tried the pizza at Crossroads G&D?  It is thin crust and pretty decent.

I forgot about G&D. I have tried it, but as I recall, I didn't find it to be special really. Maybe I'll have to try it again to see if that was just bad luck.

Thanks

You are right-I would not call it special either but I had the serious misfortune of having to eat some Dominoes Pizza recently. I guess when I said decent, I was comparing it to something like that!! After successfully avoiding Dominoes for years, I had forgotten how vile they are.

I'm heading to Taqueria El Rodeo tonight.  I'll keep you all posted on the results.

The refried beans were much better than anything at other Columbia restaurants...

You are right-his refried beans are amazing. I wonder how he cooks them? I guess I'm an American who has been raised in fear of lard and I'm sort of curious if he uses lard in them. On the other hand, I really don't want to know. I just want to continue eating them in relative ignorance because these are the first refried beans I have eaten in a long time that actually have flavor. Much different than the abomination they used to serve at Los Bandidos years ago that they called refried beans.

Someone mentioned Mackenzie's upthread, and I'd never heard of it, nor had I heard of Jason's Frozen Custard that is supposed to be right next to it. So, yesterday, on my way to work, I went and drove down Range Line. I realized that I'd never driven down past the Humane Society before, and I couldn't believe all the development out there. Not only did I find Mackenzie's and Jason's, but there are a number of fast food places there too and a new Commerce Bank going in. Also, one of the things that really made me happy is that I finally found out where the Old 63 Diner is. I'd heard of it, but I guess that I just kept forgetting about it's existence. I hear that while the food is not amazing, the ambiance is worth the trip, and that the food is decent for diner fare.

Anyone have any thoughts on the place?

The Upper Crust Bakery in Green Meadows used to have great cakes, tarts, etc. Is this still the case?

There was also a great gelateria on the south side of town--a couple of vacant lots south of Osaka, and of Joe's Custard.

Answered my own question by having lunch there today.

It's not worth the trip, not for the food or ambiance.

Sorry A Patric. I maybe could have saved you a trip out there. It sort of used to be a novelty to eat there when it first opened but it has definitely seen better days. The original owner sold it a couple of years ago and that has been the nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned. The prices have risen steadily since then while the food quality has declined and the service the last time we were in was downright surly. I think it was a labor of love for Mary (I think that is her name) who opened it originally but sadly, that is not the case any longer.

The Upper Crust Bakery in Green Meadows used to have great cakes, tarts, etc. Is this still the case?

There was also a great gelateria on the south side of town--a couple of vacant lots south of Osaka, and of Joe's Custard.

Are you maybe thinking of Cafe Gelato next to Q's Chinese Restaurant?

Answered my own question by having lunch there today.

It's not worth the trip, not for the food or ambiance.

Sorry A Patric. I maybe could have saved you a trip out there. It sort of used to be a novelty to eat there when it first opened but it has definitely seen better days. The original owner sold it a couple of years ago and that has been the nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned. The prices have risen steadily since then while the food quality has declined and the service the last time we were in was downright surly. I think it was a labor of love for Mary (I think that is her name) who opened it originally but sadly, that is not the case any longer.

Oh well,

Live and learn. I won't go back, that's for sure.

Upper Crust is still great. Caef Gelato closed down last summer, but W.G. Grinders downtown carries a few of their flavors sometimes.

Someone mentioned Mackenzie's upthread, and I'd never heard of it, nor had I heard of Jason's Frozen Custard that is supposed to be right next to it.  So, yesterday, on my way to work, I went and drove down Range Line.  I realized that I'd never driven down past the Humane Society before, and I couldn't believe all the development out there.  Not only did I find Mackenzie's and Jason's, but there are a number of fast food places there too and a new Commerce Bank going in.  Also, one of the things that really made me happy is that I finally found out where the Old 63 Diner is.  I'd heard of it, but I guess that I just kept forgetting about it's existence.  I hear that while the food is not amazing, the ambiance is worth the trip, and that the food is decent for diner fare.

My uncle really likes McKenzies, especially their steaks. I haven't been there yet, but will soon, I think. I like Jason's and generally go there rather than other places in town just b/c it's near where I work and how i usually drive in and out of town, bu I don't have a go-to custard place in CoMo. I'm more used to Milwaukee-style vs. St. Louis-style custard. What do you guys like? (I ask, sick of all this damn snow and ready for spring! :cool: )

I like Jason's and generally go there rather than other places in town just b/c it's near where I work and how i usually drive in and out of town, bu I don't have a go-to custard place in CoMo. I'm more used to Milwaukee-style vs. St. Louis-style custard. What do you guys like? (I ask, sick of all this damn snow and ready for spring! :cool: )

Well, I haven't been to Jason's so I can't compare, but I can say that Scoop's is excellent! Just stick with the custard and don't try their sandwiches. :laugh:

It used to be near the Cherry Hill Brasserie, but now it is way down Broadway near Hollywood Video. They share building space with the gas station right there. In fact, they were doing a lot of remodelling over the past few months, so I'm not even sure if they are currently open.

Regarding Milwaukee-style custard, what sets it apart from St. Louis-style? Also, have you had Ted Drewes; especially the chocolate? They carry it at Schnucks and Walgreens.

After reading over the recent Indiana thread that mentions pork tenderloin sandwiches-- one of my favorite sandwiches--it got me to thinking about what places in Columbia sell them. So far I can only think of three:

The Heidelberg

63 Diner

Murry's

Any others that anyone knows of?

I just tried "House of Chow" for the first time.

I never was interested in trying it due to its name, but actually, it is now my favorite Chinese restaurant in Columbia, with others falling far behind. I've tried Q's and Okii Mama's, as well as a few others, and didn't find any of them good. House of Chow on the other hand had great ambiance, great service, and everything that we ordered (all off of the "authentic Chinese dishes" section) was excellent.

I like Chinese Wok Express quite a bit too, but only eat the Vietnamese menu items, and so am not considering it a Chinese restaurant for that reason.

Also, on an unrelated note, has anyone eaten at Nikai Grill? Is it middle-eastern? How does it compare to the International Cafe and Casablanca?

Edited by A Patric (log)