• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Advice: Dinner at a steakhouse (Berns)

jsmeeker

I made a post like this back in October. I got some great advice and things worked out very nicely.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...0entry1324104

So well, that I am back to get some more advice.

I'm going to Berns in Tampa Saturday night. Flying all the way from Dallas for this. I'lll meet up with some good friends and we are all going to enjoy an awesome meal. There will lots of steaks on the table, so the wine drinkers (there are several of us) will want some nice wine. Since there is beef a plenty, I think red wine is in order (I'll ask about wines for other courses in a little bit).

I know the wine list is massive. Probably overwhelming, especially to a guy like me that knows so little about wine. Do we go with something "Big" to go with the meat? I'm thinking "yes". What to go with? I'd really like to try something "new". As in, new to me, maybe new to the other people. Usually when ordering wine, I'm thinking varietels like Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot Noir. But I never know what's really "good" for a steak. Also, I will say I'm very interested in trying to wrap my head around old world wines and the way they are named/described. For example, French wine. Should I be thinking Bordeaux or something from the Rhone region? I dunno, really. The choices are endless and there are probably hundreds of right answers to this question. What I guess I want is the ability to have a somewhat intelligent discussion with the other diners along with the waiter/sommelier that will help me navigate the wine list. I'm really open to suggestions here, so fire away.

For other courses, I think I have decent handle on basic pairings. Some people are interested in a caviar service. I think champagne (or some other sparkling wine) is an obvious choice here. Maybe they can get it by the glass. Or, if there are enough people doing caviar (or just wanting champagne as an aperitif), it may be better to go for a bottle(s). I'm open to suggestions here. I'll probably order foie gras. Some sort of riesling would work well, right? I can handle asking for a suggestion from a waiter/sommelier, but again, I'm open to suggestions and guidance here as well.

I would be too surprised if there was some seafood on the table. Suggestions there would be good. ANd maybe, for the people who aren't really into wine, is it possible to suggest an "easy drinking" wine to carry them through a whole meal at Berns?

Anyway... I know I'm asking for a lot here. But I think this group at eGullet is great and will give me some good advice. I look forward to hearing it.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I went to their website. As you indicated, it is an extensive wine list of over 6,900 wines. It IS a very impressive wine list and there are chances to taste some very rare wines (older Inglenooks, etc). Unfortunately, they don't list prices online...

I guess the next question is price range. Seeing as you are flying there, I'm assuming you are willing to spend a little on wine without going overboard. The other question is, How many people are at the table? That can determine if you want a white as a starter (possibly with first courses) and several reds with the steaks.

The obvious choice with steak is a Cabernet Sauvignon, although I am getting to enjoy Syrahs more and more. Generally, with steaks, I find Pinots to be too light.

You could have great fun ordering several vintages of the same wine (Dunn Howell Mountain, for example -- which I can attest to being a great steak wine), or experimenting on entirely something new.

Tough call, my friend... can't wait to hear what others think.

I think we have 10 total people at the table. Not everyone is a "into" wine, though. But I think for the people who are, we will need a couple of bottles for the main course. I can ask the group to get a better idea. Maybe it may make sense to get a larger bottle (magnum) of something. Could be "neat". Big things go over well with this group. :)

One other thought is to have a few different ones for the main course, like I did previously when I asked for advice. That worked out well.

I checked their website again - it is a pity they don't list their magnums, although I'm sure with a list like that, they must have some.

I would suggest giving the restaurant a call and asking their sommelier for a list of their available magnums. With 10 people, it would be easy enough to finish a magnum of red with additional whites for starters.

This is a no brainer, and you've pretty much exhausted it. With a Bern's steak, order a California Cabernet Sauvignon, especially if the entire group is not "into wine." Don't mess with anything that you have to explain to anyone. And a magnum would be a cool touch. 25 ounces in a bottle makes for five 5-ounce pours.

With a caviar service, bubbly. Surprisingly, the Champagne selection does nothing for me. It's almost all big houses (but with easily recognizeable names). They do list a couple of small producers, including Egly-Ouriet -- but their wines are big on pinot noir, and I'd like something more chardonnay-based for caviar. But aside from the Blanc de Blancs on the list (which will all be priced very high given the producers), the "regular" list is full of wines that are generally more pinot-based than chardonnay-based. Go with the Delamotte NV.

I didn't see any "traditional" foie gras wines (sweet whites), but I'm sure they have some.

Overall, the wine list is full of wines meant to make an impression on a dining partner or party (and paid for by an expense account or someone who doesn't care about cost).

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I like the magnum idea, but I also like the idea of trying some different things with the steaks. A classic comparison would be to have a good California Cab and a Cabernet based Bordeaux to compare. I usually prefer the Bordeaux because I like the effect that blending in a little softer wine (merlot, cab franc) has on the varietal Cabernet.

Don't think you can go wrong. Have fun.

I like the magnum idea, but I also like the idea of trying some different things with the steaks.  A classic comparison would be to have a good California Cab and a Cabernet based Bordeaux to compare.  I usually prefer the Bordeaux because I like the effect that blending in a little softer wine (merlot, cab franc) has on the varietal Cabernet.

Don't think you can go wrong.  Have fun.

Yeah.. I'm sort of torn between a large bottle and multiple smaller bottles.

I dunno. A magnum is just two standard bottles, right? So, a magnum, plus a standard bottle something else, is three bottles. The last time people from this group go together for a meal (the meal at TexasDeBrazil), five of us had no issues killing the two bottles of wine I ordered. A group of ten people? Three bottles of wine isn't too much, is it? Even for the people who really aren't too into wine, they would probably enjoy one glass.

I like your idea of comparing two different wines that use the same grape (like the new world vs. old world). I know some people would be down with that.

Anyway, I do appreciate the suggestions. It will probably come down to a "last minute" decision based on what everyone is in the mood for at dinner time Saturday night.

Edit: I'm happy to see they have Delamotte on the list. I actually had that at a restaurant in Las Vegas (Emeril's Fish House). It was very nice. I always look for it, and never see it. I typically only see the big name producers everyone knows and that many loathe (although I'm not one that really loathes them). I think that might be my leading candidate for the champagne.

Edited by jsmeeker (log)

So how was the wine?

What did you have?

For the champagne, we went with the Delamotte Brut NV. I really enjoy this and it's a little less money than all the big name producers. IMHO, decent value..

For the red wine for the main course, we went in a different direction than I had originally planned after discussing it with some of the other diners. But that's OK. One person expressed a like for wines from the Rhone region of France, so we selected a 1998 (I think that was the year) Châteauneuf du Pape and got two bottles of the same thing. can't recall the producer, but someone took a picture of the bottle. I'll eventually get that pic and I'll report back.

Anyway, it worked out well. Everyone walked away very happy and very full after being at the restaurant for about five hours. (the wine cellar in that place is something else.)

Edited by jsmeeker (log)