• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Authentic vindaloo

g.johnson

So i always get vindaloo at restaurants and it's my favourite curry. I love the sourness of it. But I have tried about 8 different recipes all very different from eachother and i can never replicate it like i get it from a restaurant. Does anyone know the secret or great recipes? I have tried different amounts of vinegar or tamarind but nothing ever comes out like the pro jobs.

That is because restaurants ( 99%) make ' basic' chicken and lamb curries then 'doctor' them to produce diferent dishes on the menu.

For Vindaloo they will heat the curry in a pan with some cubed fried potaoes, cayenne powder, garam masalla and some vinegar. Some restaurants will even add a drop of red food color.

I'm afraid BBhasin is correct, vindaloo it aint. But if you want that 'pro' taste, just chuck anything in, and taste, it is what the 'pros' do.

cheers

Waaza

• 15 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I have spent at least 20 years perfecting what I want in a Vindaloo (Lamb). I cannot comment on how it compares to authentic vindaloo, but the recipe was originally derived from VahRehVah chef. https://youtu.be/5E3kulJRzGY

What I can say is the quality of the chilli powder is key to this dish - so much so I grow my own chillies and use them in this recipe. 

Whole Masala (add to oil prior to onions)

1. cinnamon - 1 - stick 10cm
  2. Black cardamom x 3
  3. cloves x 6
  4. Green cardamom x 6
  5. Bay Leaves dried x 3

Masala Paste:

1. coconut cream - 1 can
  2. cumin powder -  1 tsp
  3. Black pepper power - 1 tsp
  4. Coriander powder - 2 tsp
  5. Mustard powder - 1 tsp
  6. Garlic - 6 to 7 - number
  7. ginger - 1 piece about 25mm long
  8. Long Hot Chilli Powder - 5 Tablespoons (depends on heat)
  9. Cinnamon powder - 1/2 tsp
  10. Turmeric - 1 tsp
  11. Garam Marsala - 1 tsp
  12. Apple cider vinegar- 3/4 - cup

Main ingredients:

1. Lamb Round Chops on Bone - 1kg
  2. ghee - 1/2 cup
  3. onions - 4 - sliced
  4. salt - 0 - as needed
  5. Jaggery - 2 - tsp
  6. water - 0 - as needed

Instructions:

1. Wash lamb, apply salt and tumeric powder in water, cover and keep it a side for 1 hr.
  2. Add all items in Masala paste to Blender and blend until fine. Mixture will look curdled, which is OK.
  3. After one hour in brine,  drain the lamb add all the spice mixture mix well - marinate for 4 hours if possible
  4. After 4 hours take a pan add ghee, whole masala, onions and cook until onions soft.
  5. Add lamb and masala cook for 5min then add water (about 1 cup) and cook in a low flame.
  6. Towards end (1 hour) add jaggary

JoesLong-ChilliPowder (Medium).jpg

chillies-long-hot (Medium).JPEG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luke said:

I have spent at least 20 years perfecting what I want in a Vindaloo (Lamb). I cannot comment on how it compares to authentic vindaloo, but the recipe was originally derived from VahRehVah chef. https://youtu.be/5E3kulJRzGY

What I can say is the quality of the chilli powder is key to this dish - so much so I grow my own chillies and use them in this recipe. 

Whole Masala (add to oil prior to onions)

1. cinnamon - 1 - stick 10cm
  2. Black cardamom x 3
  3. cloves x 6
  4. Green cardamom x 6
  5. Bay Leaves dried x 3

Masala Paste:

1. coconut cream - 1 can
  2. cumin powder -  1 tsp
  3. Black pepper power - 1 tsp
  4. Coriander powder - 2 tsp
  5. Mustard powder - 1 tsp
  6. Garlic - 6 to 7 - number
  7. ginger - 1 piece about 25mm long
  8. Long Hot Chilli Powder - 5 Tablespoons (depends on heat)
  9. Cinnamon powder - 1/2 tsp
  10. Turmeric - 1 tsp
  11. Garam Marsala - 1 tsp
  12. Apple cider vinegar- 3/4 - cup

Main ingredients:

1. Lamb Round Chops on Bone - 1kg
  2. ghee - 1/2 cup
  3. onions - 4 - sliced
  4. salt - 0 - as needed
  5. Jaggery - 2 - tsp
  6. water - 0 - as needed

Instructions:

1. Wash lamb, apply salt and tumeric powder in water, cover and keep it a side for 1 hr.
  2. Add all items in Masala paste to Blender and blend until fine. Mixture will look curdled, which is OK.
  3. After one hour in brine,  drain the lamb add all the spice mixture mix well - marinate for 4 hours if possible
  4. After 4 hours take a pan add ghee, whole masala, onions and cook until onions soft.
  5. Add lamb and masala cook for 5min then add water (about 1 cup) and cook in a low flame.
  6. Towards end (1 hour) add jaggary

JoesLong-ChilliPowder (Medium).jpg

chillies-long-hot (Medium).JPEG

Do you know the cultivar name of the chillies you grow?  I was looking to grow something like them.

• 3 months later...

Kashmiri chillies are the type usually used here in the U.K. to give a red colour to the food without imparting too much heat to the final dish. Problem we have here is, as the Kashmiri chilli has become popular, a lot of chillies are being sold as Kashmiri when they are not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashmiri_red_chilli

https://www.nutrixia.in/products/kashmiri-chilli#:~:text=Botanical NameCapsicum annum L.%2C Capsicum frutescens L.

I tend to use pork whenever I have cooked Vindaloo, but a while back I saw a recipe from Meera Sodah that uses pig cheeks. It so happened our local “Quality” butcher had some on display so I bought a couple of kilos and experimented with the recipe. It turned out really well and made a subsequent appearance at one of our curry-fests where it was devoured by our guests.

The recipe can be found here https://meerasodha.com/recipes/pig-cheek-vindaloo/

I have it on my database but not sure if I can post it due to copyright issues.

• Like 1