• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sassafraz burned down

Jeebus

Not sure if anyone was paying attention to the news today but Sasafraz in Yorkville was completely gutted by a fire today. I was watching it on the news, I don't see them being reopened any time soon.

www.azurerestaurant.ca

ahh, I never had a chance to try it. I always had this impression of it being a celebrity hotspot (and only that), and didn't know anything about the food. Does anyone have a tale of a memorable (for whatever reason) meal there?

I had a pleasant-enough meal there a few years ago, late on a weeknight. We picked it because it was one of the few places that was still serving at that hour in that neighborhood. We'd been curious about it, but hadn't gone in for...decades. At that time and day, it wasn't much of a scene, but then, I might just be ignorant of Toronto celebs.

The food was fine, but not unique enough to lure me back. I'll be sad if they can't rebuild just because it seems as if it was always there, an icon of Yorkville if nothing else. Not much else has survived that long in that area.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Here is the story/video clip from City Pulse in case anyone is interested.

The last time I had a proper sit down meal there was about 6 years ago. I tried their "Signature Salmon" but was grossly underwhelmed. Since then, I believe they acquired a new chef, so perhaps someone else has a more recent review.

Aside: The most memorable part of that night was that my date experimented to see what would happen if he stuck his tongue to the ice sculptures outside the restaurant. Groan.

ahh, I never had a chance to try it.  I always had this impression of it being a celebrity hotspot (and only that), and didn't know anything about the food.  Does anyone have a tale of a memorable (for whatever reason) meal there?

Lots of memories, none of them good. Perfect watering hole on a Saturday for a burger or martini while shopping, sunday brunch, etc but wouldn't choose it over other places.

Still a shame though - don't like to see things like this happen around the holidays.

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

The food was completely hit and miss -- we had a great time once and the next time, we left before the mains arrived... But still, it is a landmark in Yorkville and so it is sad to see it go.................

Chantal

www.kawarthacuisine.ca

"Where there are vines, there is civilization"

from Mondovino

Their cheese selections were always nice, and they made some really interesting cocktails.

But all in all, WAY overpriced.

On a side note - I heard somewhere this fire was not an 'accident'

The caviar martini!

Not an accident? I officially dub The "the King of the unsubstantiated rumor(rumour)" LOL

Well, various media outlets have said there are some very shady circumstances which this fire 'broke out in the kitchen'...that along with some friends who work down in Yorkville have made similar remarks...but hey, you draw your own conclusions :)

Oh, and btw Gordon...rumors are unsubstantiated by definition...hence the term.

Edited by sadistick (log)

We were discussing the "not an accident" aspect as well yesterday. One of my cooks recently left there and he was the one who suggested it. The place was dodgy IMO and had some shaddy business practices.

www.azurerestaurant.ca

We were discussing the "not an accident" aspect as well yesterday. One of my cooks recently left there and he was the one who suggested it. The place was dodgy IMO and had some shaddy business practices.

If a place like Sassafraz had burned down in my hometown of Montreal - say, a supper club on St. Laurent or something - everyone of course would assume circumstances were dodgy.

Their cheese selections were always nice, and they made some really interesting cocktails.

But all in all, WAY overpriced.

On a side note - I heard somewhere this fire was not an 'accident'

Given the half page ad in this week's Now (pg 52) - I'm less likely to subscribe to that view. Uh, the non-accident bit, not the cheese or cocktails.

Also, I think the news reports indicated that customers had to flee. It's one thing to torch a place at four in the morning when nobody will be in the building, it's entirely another when the place is full of staff and customers. And, during a busy and presumably profitable time of year.

So, I'm guessing it really was an accident. Kitchen fires do happen, unfortunately. I feel sorry for the staff.

Geoff Ruby

Does anyone have a tale of a memorable (for whatever reason) meal there?

the food was, as others' described hit and miss -- sometimes good, somtimes terrible. I will never forget the one time I went with my husband though.

We had a tomato based soup, and the waiter, while removing the plates, spilled it down my husband's back. My husband didn't feel it at first, but later put his hand up to see what it was and discovered the evidence. The waiter denied spilling and blamed my husband for getting soup on the back of his collar and shirt?!

It's a running joke in our house. And, irony of ironies, my husband was in Stavros when the fire broke out at Sassafraz and saw the whole thing close up.

k!

• 2 weeks later...

I wish some of the street people would step forth and attach their names to their "insider information". The provincial fire investigators have declared the fire to be an accidental kitchen fire. The interior of the building is currently being demolished and restoration will follow. This is expected to take four or five months.

The interior of the building is currently being demolished and restoration will follow.  This is expected to take four or five months.

then is Sassafraz to be ressurected or is this just a question of the building?