• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC Hosts/Hostesses: Eater.com GATEKEEPERS series

harlanturk

This is a cool series covering an area that in today's restaurant marketplace gets very little consideration - maybe because they tend to not wear tuxedos or other formal attire. It is a fascinating view behind those seldom noticed scenes. What was your inspiration for undertaking this series?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

It was partially commissioned from the guys over at Eater.com, but as you know of my work, I priorly looked to illuminate the people behind the scenes in the "BACK OF THE HOUSE" project, and in this case, we see that the "front of the house" is just as often over-looked.

Michael Harlan Turkell, PHOTOGRAPHER

"BACK OF THE HOUSE" Project, www.harlanturk.com , PLOG: harlanturk.blogspot.com

How about Keith Fergel of per se? As for other positions in restaurant establishments, I'd be particularly interested in seeing profiles of specialty purveyors and how they interface with the restaurants they serve. I would expect, however, that it would be difficult for these purveyors to be completely candid and dish the dirt on their famous clientele.

Wasn't he sommelier at French Laundry. Is he the maitre 'd or GM? What do you see as the biggest difference between a maitre 'd and host/hostess?

MD gets tipped, hostess/host does not.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Wasn't he sommelier at French Laundry. Is he the maitre 'd or GM? What do you see as the biggest difference between a maitre 'd and host/hostess?

I almost never get tipped :wink::raz: Seriously, what is the difference functionally or is there one? If there isn't why does a maitre 'd get tipped and a host/hostess not?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I almost never get tipped :wink::raz: Seriously, what is the difference functionally or is there one? If there isn't why does a maitre 'd get tipped and a host/hostess not?

Never got tipped Doc? Wow, if there's any group I want to keep happy it's my doctors. I always tip them - of course some of the horses don't win.

A MD is dressed in a suit and tie or tux (I love women in tuxes.) The MD shows you to your table, makes sure your drink order is taken (perhaps by them) and comes back from time to time to check on things.

A host/hostess is really an actor/actress between jobs, is wearing jeans and a jacket from from the local thrift shop that doesn't fit (definitely no socks or stockings), gets someone else to take you to your table and spends the rest of the night on his/her cell phone.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I think you should feature Rich's maitre d' at Gallaghers.  :wink:

Yeah, and don't forget the bouncer - they would mage a great tag-team entry.

Rich Schulhoff