• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Intolerances/Allergies/Aversions

. . . people saying they are allergic to the MSG used in Chinese food is just a bunch of hooey. MSG doesnt seem to stop people from eating Doritos or eating McDonald's French Fries, but suddenly having Beef and Broccoli might kill you? No, I don't think so.

Most "Allergies" are just convenient excuses or hang ups about foods they don't like.

I should be so lucky to have it only be a bunch of hooey :blink: that everytime I eat more than a bite of food with MSG in it I get a migraine headache where I feel as if it's killing me!

No I haven't had skin or blood serum tests done to find out if I'm really allergic to MSG, but I've done a migraine trigger elimination diet (as directed by a neurologist) lo and behold MSG is one of my migraine triggers. If that weren't proof enough, there's been times when I've unknowingly eaten food with MSG, come downwith a migraine and discovered afterwards that something I ate had MSG.

MSG didn't always trigger migraines for me. I grew up in Hawaii where a dash of Aji (Ajinomoto - a brand of MSG) was added to most all food. It wasn't until I was in my 20s that MSG began to trigger migraines. Perhaps my body developed an intolerance for it?

I don't eat Doritos, McDonald's french fries or beef and broccoli unless I've verified it's been made without MSG. I read the labels on all canned, dried, frozen or pre-packaged foods. I politely ask to see the ingredient and nutritional information at fast food restaurants. I get a lot fewer migraines these days since the implementation of labeling laws.

Does it annoy me when folks obnoxiously use the "I'm allergic" excuse for boorish behavior around food? You bet. But that's seldom been my experience when I encounter folks who say "I'm allergic". Perhaps I'm more understanding than most folks due to my own circumstances.

LB Howes

• 3 years later...

Food allergies and intolerances are not funny, and should not be messed with, in my opinion. On the other hand, it is true that some people make up allergies to avoid foods they don't like.

However, I have sometimes got the feeling that certain eating establishments wouldn't give a toss about making sure something wasn't in your food unless you scared them with an allergy warning. Not all places, for sure, but there are a couple of places that I personally wouldn't eat at if I was really keen on avoiding a certain foodstuff.

I think the best thing to do is ring a restaurant ahead of going there and give them due warning. That makes everyone feel happier and better prepared. And if you're cooking for someone at home, as far as I'm concerned you should be making something that you think they will enjoy, not trying to trick them into eating things that might make them uncomfortable - either because you're testing to see if their intolerance is real or because you want to make them like something.

Unless it's your brother. And then you're allowed to put sweet potatoes in things and see if he eats it. And then yell "Ha, you do like it!"

• 10 years later...
On 10/29/2019 at 1:12 AM, Toliver said:

"American-Made Cheese Named World's Best for the First Time Ever"

The article goes on to say the French Press aren't very happy with the decision.

Well - the French can suck it, this year 😉 

I love cheese - I adore cheese - almost alllll varieties - Im almost not picky about it ... I miss cheese 😔 (recently developed dairy allergy - not lactose - i mean ALL DAIRY - one of the saddest days of my life - I’m still mourning 😢

Manager note: This post and the following four were split from American-Made Cheese Named World's Best, to maintain topic focus.

• Sad 3

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

25 minutes ago, CatIsHungry said:

I love cheese - I adore cheese - almost alllll varieties - Im almost not picky about it ... I miss cheese 😔 (recently developed dairy allergy - not lactose - i mean ALL DAIRY - one of the saddest days of my life - I’m still mourning 😢

I am so, so sorry!  A number of years ago, I participated in a research study that required eating a very low fat diet.  No cheese was allowed.  It was a major struggle in the beginning but by the end of it, I had some good ideas for substitutes. Plus, they provided all the food and paid me $1000 so there was that 🙃

You have all my best wishes in finding tasty foods that entertain your cheese taste buds and I hope that at some point there may be an opportunity to reintroduce an occasional morsel of cheese. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CatIsHungry said:

Oh, how sad! I've recently been diagnosed with celiac disease, and other than bidding farewell to good homemade bread, I'm coping OK with that. If I couldn't have any dairy, I guess I'd just die. I don't drink a lot of milk, but I do use it to cook with, and as my daddy used to contend, I'm like a rat when it comes to cheese. And we won't even talk about butter.

• Sad 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I am so, so sorry!  A number of years ago, I participated in a research study that required eating a very low fat diet.  No cheese was allowed.  It was a major struggle in the beginning but by the end of it, I had some good ideas for substitutes. Plus, they provided all the food and paid me $1000 so there was that 🙃

You have all my best wishes in finding tasty foods that entertain your cheese taste buds and I hope that at some point there may be an opportunity to reintroduce an occasional morsel of cheese. 

Now that is a research study I could’ve gotten behind for a grand 😉😁 ... wait - how long did you have to do it ? Now it would be incredibly easy for me - before all this - yeah not so much! 😂 You’re a better person than I and thank you for your contributions to medical science ... 

Thank you for your best wishes 😁 - it’s a little more complicated than just finding tasty substitutions (isn’t it always? 🤣) - at the same time as the dairy I also developed soy, corn, beef, and shellfish allergies so - *sigh* - and then had to have my gallbladder out and ended up being one of those who can tolerate very little fat (hoping that changes eventually) - not lots of fun in my diet but I love to cook and bake (I wear and go through A LOT of gloves) ... on the plus side - I have not been diagnosed as Celiac, so there’s that 👍🏻 ... 😂😂😂

• Sad 2

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

3 hours ago, kayb said:

Oh, how sad! I've recently been diagnosed with celiac disease, and other than bidding farewell to good homemade bread, I'm coping OK with that. If I couldn't have any dairy, I guess I'd just die. I don't drink a lot of milk, but I do use it to cook with, and as my daddy used to contend, I'm like a rat when it comes to cheese. And we won't even talk about butter.

@kayb ROFL I know I know! I thought I was going to die too when I found out! AHAHAHAHAHA I haven’t drank a glass of milk since I was probably 12 but - man! I got all of my dairy requirements through cheese - butter - butter - cheese - more cheese - more butter 😁 ... 

im sorry about your Celiac 😔 Gluten shows up in weird places you wouldn’t even dream of! There are one or two very good forums out there for celiacs with excellent information - Have you found any? (through the process of all of my stuff - elimination gluten was a thing with my Dr for a while - so blah blah blah ) ... I wish you the very best, never another attack, and an excellent Dr., Kayb 

10 hours ago, CatIsHungry said:

Now that is a research study I could’ve gotten behind for a grand 😉😁 ... wait - how long did you have to do it ? Now it would be incredibly easy for me - before all this - yeah not so much! 😂 You’re a better person than I and thank you for your contributions to medical science ... 

Thank you for your best wishes 😁 - it’s a little more complicated than just finding tasty substitutions (isn’t it always? 🤣) - at the same time as the dairy I also developed soy, corn, beef, and shellfish allergies so - *sigh* - and then had to have my gallbladder out and ended up being one of those who can tolerate very little fat (hoping that changes eventually) - not lots of fun in my diet but I love to cook and bake (I wear and go through A LOT of gloves) ... on the plus side - I have not been diagnosed as Celiac, so there’s that 👍🏻 ... 😂😂😂

A word of encouragement, fwiw...my GF had her gall bladder out several years ago, and like you was unable to tolerate fat for a while. She's thoroughly over it now, and can "keto" with aplomb and pretty much chug heavy cream right from the carton. As always YMMV, but there's hope.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

A word of encouragement, fwiw...my GF had her gall bladder out several years ago, and like you was unable to tolerate fat for a while. She's thoroughly over it now, and can "keto" with aplomb and pretty much chug heavy cream right from the carton. As always YMMV, but there's hope.

I am remaining hopeful! 😃 Seriously, Thanks, @chromedome - I kept reading stories of it happening to people - and I suppose that’s what I’m doing now, but, - still - it gives me more hope 🤞🏻 even a touch more fat than a handful of Premium Mini Crackers or a handful of cashews (those are the only nuts I am able to eat) maybe I could put on some weight !!!

1 hour ago, CatIsHungry said:

I am remaining hopeful! 😃 Seriously, Thanks, @chromedome - I kept reading stories of it happening to people - and I suppose that’s what I’m doing now, but, - still - it gives me more hope 🤞🏻 even a touch more fat than a handful of Premium Mini Crackers or a handful of cashews (those are the only nuts I am able to eat) maybe I could put on some weight !!!

Yeah, trying to keep weight on is a thankless thing (in large part because you sure as heck will struggle to get any sympathy).

When my ex was having major health issues, 20-odd years ago, her metabolism was super-quick, and she needed to eat six real meals/day (minimum) or she would just fall to the floor. To complicate matters her gall bladder was acting up so we couldn't resort to high-fat, calorie-dense foods either, and (the kicker) we were also terribly broke in those days. It forced me to be creative in the kitchen, that's for sure.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7 hours ago, chromedome said:

Yeah, trying to keep weight on is a thankless thing (in large part because you sure as heck will struggle to get any sympathy).

When my ex was having major health issues, 20-odd years ago, her metabolism was super-quick, and she needed to eat six real meals/day (minimum) or she would just fall to the floor. To complicate matters her gall bladder was acting up so we couldn't resort to high-fat, calorie-dense foods either, and (the kicker) we were also terribly broke in those days. It forced me to be creative in the kitchen, that's for sure.

Yeah - compound the problem with multiple food allergies and it’s - difficult to say the least 😕 ... I’m not short (not ‘real’ tall but def not short and whenever i started having problems - I weighed my normal 110lbs (always weighed that) ... through it all i lost 40lbs 😱 ... I’ve only managed to gain back 17 and it’s taken me a long time to do it ... so far, I seem to be maintaining that so - yay! I’m not losing anything! Whoop whoop LOL 😂 

Im just trying hard (very hard) to be patient and follow doc orders and hope with time things change 🤞🏻... uhh - for the record - change for the better 😂

• 2 years later...
13 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Seems like a good place to share this: The USDA has added sesame as the 9th major allergen that must be declared on food labels, effective 2023.

https://www.fda.gov/food/food-labeling-nutrition/food-allergies

That is really interesting.  Recently I saw a Naturopath who gave me this food allergen/intolerance/whatever test and I was stunned to find sesame on my list of foods not to eat.  I use a lot of Tahini in Hummus which we eat constantly and also in a cookie strip.  I've subbed nut butter in the cookies and so I guess it would make sense to do so with the Hummus also.  I have to say that I was really disappointed to learn of this food intolerance...but who knows?...after a few months off these noted foods, my life might be just all that much better...or not.  😏

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

On 12/15/2021 at 7:02 AM, Darienne said:

That is really interesting.  Recently I saw a Naturopath who gave me this food allergen/intolerance/whatever test and I was stunned to find sesame on my list of foods not to eat.  I use a lot of Tahini in Hummus which we eat constantly and also in a cookie strip.  I've subbed nut butter in the cookies and so I guess it would make sense to do so with the Hummus also.  I have to say that I was really disappointed to learn of this food intolerance...but who knows?...after a few months off these noted foods, my life might be just all that much better...or not.  😏

Tests aren't always that reliable. I'm allergic, as in anaphylaxis, to shellfish. A skin allergy test didn't pick up on that and instead said I was allergic to green beans, which I eat without a problem.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Orbit said:

Tests aren't always that reliable. I'm allergic, as in anaphylaxis, to shellfish. A skin allergy test didn't pick up on that and instead said I was allergic to green beans, which I eat without a problem.

I think my sister has seen every decent allergist , naturopath, alternative medicine, etc person in Sydney. Always manifests in skin. Gets much better when she returns to visit in US. Tricky and often contradictory business. 

Stepmother shriekingly voiced a phobia the other day when there was a blood spot in the egg she cracked for breakfast and again 2 days later. She threw the eggs in the trash. I did not even try to get her to see reason. Yes brown eggs which she does not usually buy - harder to see in grading process.

47 minutes ago, Orbit said:

As far as I knew...I wasn't allergic to anything.  Not any thing at all.  So I am taking it all with a grain of sand.  However, seeing as I am currently locked in a battle with Lyme Disease, I have decided to err on the side of caution.   Sesame wasn't my only 'do not eat' this.  All the usual culprits were there.  I have to admit that although I can pretty much work my way around most of the so-called problem food...it's not really all that much fun.  And I like my coffee (decaf, please) with cream and that's that.  Oat cream just doesn't cut it.

Sorry to read of your allergy to shellfish.  That is scary.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 1 year later...
15 hours ago, Darienne said:

Life without onions does not bear consideration

A few years ago I would have agreed with you completely. But my housemate has a deathly allergy to onions, garlic, scallions, or anything in the onion family. He is also allergic to any type of raw pepper. I have learned to compensate through seasonings and things like celery and daikon radish to give the texture of onion in things but I still miss onion and garlic. One of my favorite things to do is to try recipes from around the world and so many cultures rely so heavily on onions and garlic that you just have to give them a pass. Believe it or not, I can make a damn good chili without them.

Reading through this topic just about makes me cry.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

A few years ago I would have agreed with you completely. But my housemate has a deathly allergy to onions, garlic, scallions, or anything in the onion family. He is also allergic to any type of raw pepper. I have learned to compensate through seasonings and things like celery and daikon radish to give the texture of onion in things but I still miss onion and garlic. One of my favorite things to do is to try recipes from around the world and so many cultures rely so heavily on onions and garlic that you just have to give them a pass. Believe it or not, I can make a damn good chili without them.

Sorry to read about your mate's allergy but glad to read of your terrific attempt to make that mate's eating experience as good as possible.  I have a very close friend with the same problems...no onion, no garlic, no capsicum of any kind...any kind...just the basis of most of our cooking.  She has other allergies also so when she comes to lunch...it's grilled cheese sandwiches.  This is pretty funny now that I am no longer eating gluten or dairy so I have a scrambled type egg sandwich on gluten free bread. 

• Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

17 hours ago, Darienne said:

Life without onions does not bear consideration. 

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Your comments remind me of a friend and former co-worker of mine.  She was from India and her in-laws didn't eat alliums for religious reasons - too passionate. When they would come here to visit for a month or longer, my friend, of course, couldn't use any onions or garlic in her cooking but also had to banish much of her cookware and kitchen utensils and storage containers to the garage as they were "tainted" and the in-laws could detect a whiff of the forbidden stuff.  She also had to avoid eating anything with onion or garlic if we went out for lunch as the in-laws claimed they could smell it when she came home. She got pretty adept at using a judicious pinch of asafoetida here and there but there was always much rejoicing when the in-laws left and alliums returned to the house. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Darienne said:

but glad to read of your terrific attempt to make that mate's eating experience as good as possible. 

I've had quite a few years of learning to cope with this. Carlos lived with us for several years when my husband was alive and I would prepare a dish up to a point and then separate a portion out for him before I added the onions and garlic. When he rented a room for me after my husband died, I decided that I just was not going to make two meals, one with and one without, and I would learn to eat what he could eat. I just found that it was not going to be Bland and that I would learn to compensate with other seasonings and textures. Thank goodness, he is an adventurous eater which isn't common in Latin American people. I've had a few pretty colossal failures and he doesn't bat an eye.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 3