• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

41 minutes ago, Darienne said:

but glad to read of your terrific attempt to make that mate's eating experience as good as possible. 

I've had quite a few years of learning to cope with this. Carlos lived with us for several years when my husband was alive and I would prepare a dish up to a point and then separate a portion out for him before I added the onions and garlic. When he rented a room for me after my husband died, I decided that I just was not going to make two meals, one with and one without, and I would learn to eat what he could eat. I just found that it was not going to be Bland and that I would learn to compensate with other seasonings and textures. Thank goodness, he is an adventurous eater which isn't common in Latin American people. I've had a few pretty colossal failures and he doesn't bat an eye.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

33 minutes ago, Darienne said:

but glad to read of your terrific attempt to make that mate's eating experience as good as possible. 

I've had quite a few years of learning to cope with this. Carlos lived with us for several years when my husband was alive and I would prepare a dish up to a point and then separate a portion out for him before I added the onions and garlic. When he rented a room for me after my husband died, I decided that I just was not going to make two meals and I would learn to eat what he could eat. I just found that it was not going to be Bland and that I would learn to compensate with other seasonings and textures. Thank goodness, he is an adventurous eater which isn't common in Latin American people. I've had a few pretty colossal failures and he doesn't bat an eye.