• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant(s) of the Year 2006

Service of the year was at Matfen Hall Hotel in NOrthumbria--helpful, friendly, and with good memories. INteresting cooking too--the sort of young chef who Ramsay would spend an hour swearing at to simplify what he does, but who has some gorgeous local ingredients (mostly as it seemed to be, off their own estate).

Meal of the year was probably at Northcote Manor. But that were a private do. And the service and food for everything but the wedding was shocking.

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

None whatsoever, of course. Nevertheless, relatively speaking, it is far more surprising that new London operations are cited as best restaurants of the year than it is surprising that someone should have had a meal of the year in an iconic three star such as Bocuse. Indeed, it's only not surprising if one factors in the 'buzz' of novelty, which at any rate is strictly superficial, hence the 'fashionable' comment.

Given that this is the UK and Ireland thread, it's perhaps not *that* surprising that people are talking about meals in London....

I'm sure there'll be a thread somewhere on the site for people who want to catalogue their travels/restaurants outside of the UK.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Given that this is the UK and Ireland thread, it's perhaps not *that* surprising that people are talking about meals in London....

I'm sure there'll be a thread somewhere on the site for people who want to catalogue their travels/restaurants outside of the UK.

You are right - it is not surprising that people talk about meals in London. But it's also worth remarking how many talked about meals from the UK and Ireland are eaten in London.

None whatsoever, of course. Nevertheless, relatively speaking, it is far more surprising that new London operations are cited as best restaurants of the year than it is surprising that someone should have had a meal of the year in an iconic three star such as Bocuse. Indeed, it's only not surprising if one factors in the 'buzz' of novelty, which at any rate is strictly superficial, hence the 'fashionable' comment.

I shan't be responding to this directly since your comments are aimed at a straw man of your own creation. If you're looking for a scrap I'm sure you could provoke one far more easily somewhere else.

I shan't be responding to this directly since your comments are aimed at a straw man of your own creation. If you're looking for a scrap I'm sure you could provoke one far more easily somewhere else.

Touchy. Some people just don't like to be told...

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum