• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to buy almond paste

Sararwelch

I have taken to making almond paste based macaroons. All I've been able to find in my local stores is the 7 oz tube by Odense, which is very pricey, and doesn't even supply me with the 8 ounces I need for the recipe.

I've done a search online and found almond paste in cans, but never more than 10 ounces to a pound per can. Is there a place you'd recommend where I can buy a few pounds of almond paste for a decent price?

I have taken to making almond paste based macaroons. All I've been able to find in my local stores is the 7 oz tube by Odense, which is very pricey, and doesn't even supply me with the 8 ounces I need for the recipe.

I've done a search online and found almond paste in cans, but never more than 10 ounces to a pound per can. Is there a place you'd recommend where I can buy a few pounds of almond paste for a decent price?

Try this:

http://pastrychef.com/Catalog/almond_paste_3754154.htm

Hope it helps!

It's easy to make--I use the recipe in Joy of Cooking. An advantage of making it yourself is that you can use rose water or orange blossom water instead of almond extract if, like me, you don't really like strong almond extract taste.

I have gotten mine from the King Arthur catalog. Just google King Arthur baking and the URl should come up. It's in a can and it's much better than Odense! I'm a believer!

yes, but it only comes in 10 oz cans.

edited to add: chefs' warehouse has large cans

probably, if you look at links in threads about high quality chocolate, you'll find sources for almond paste as well.

Edited by alanamoana (log)

have gotten mine from the King Arthur catalog. Just google King Arthur baking and the URl should come up. It's in a can and it's much better than Odense! I'm a believer!

The KA stuff is great, but their shipping costs seem to have gotten outrageous over the past year or so. I've always ordered from them but will be looking for another source.

Hi!

I got mine here. Price is more than reasonable (better than the links above as far as I can tell) and service is incredible. Ordered it in the afternoon and it arrived (NJ to NY) the very next day.

Hope this helps.

Alex

Thank you for that link. I needed a source for unsalted pistachios (sp?) for some nougat, and this looks like the place! I'm going to order today.

Ditto the thanks on posting that link! I just ordered a boatload of stuff. Good price on montgomerency cherries. I needed some hazelnuts and pistachios (I can't spell it either) in addition to the almond paste to complete my holiday baking. It should all be here on Monday. How excellent!

Edited to remove my unneccessary capitalizations.

Edited by KatieM (log)

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

L'epicerie (L'epicerie) sells almond paste, both in one-pound and 3-kilo quantities.  The price for the one-pound container is $8.85; the 3-kilo container is priced at $49.60 (approximately $7.50 per pound).  They have a large selection of ingredients for pastry and savory cooking.

I'll add a vote for l'epicerie. Excellent customer service and I find their prices very reasonable.