• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whence Ngiam Tong Boon?

ThinkingBartender

Where/ when did the name "Ngiam Tong Boon" first get mentioned as the creator of the Raffles Hotel Singapore Sling?

The earliest I have been about to find is 1977, all other references seem to stem from this one mention; any ideas?

Press Telegram, 18th November 1977

"His name was Ngian [sic] Tong Boon and he invented the Sling in 1915, concocting it from Tanqueray gin, cherry brandy, fruit juices, bene- dictine and Cointreau."

Cheers!

George

It seems so "Baker-esque" to name drop the bartender, that I thought it would be in the description of the "Immortal Singapore Raffles Gin Sling" in his "Gentleman's Companion".

But, no. While we are treated to an English rendering of the greetings of the much esteemed Filipino serving boys, no mention of the drink's creator.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

It seems so "Baker-esque" to name drop the bartender, that I thought it would be in the description of the "Immortal Singapore Raffles Gin Sling" in his "Gentleman's Companion".

But, no.  While we are treated to an English rendering of the greetings of the much esteemed Filipino serving boys, no mention of the drink's creator.

I take it that "Immortal Singapore Raffles Gin Sling" is an exaggeration.

As well as the origins of the Singapore Sling, I am taking an interest in the names it was called by:

Raffles Hotel Sling (Trader Vic - 1948).

Raffles Bar Sling (Trader Vic Advert - 1939)

Singapore Sling.

Singapore Gin Sling.

Straits Sling.

Hotel Raffles Gin Sling.

Cheers!

George

Edited by ThinkingBartender (log)