• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Just A Quick Laugh

Colgate

From the Philadelphia Inquirer Dining Home Page:

Gifts for the foodie

"Here's our guide to what to buy for the home cook

GRASS-FED BEEF, truffle butters, rocket-fast grills and wild-game injectors. What will they think of next? This year, holiday food gifts target the serious at-home cook who's in the kitchen more than a couple of times a week and entertains regularly."

Is Grass-Fed Beef really classified under the "what will they think of next" category? Hopefully, this was added out of context, but saw this and thought everyone would like a little chuckle...

Gifts for the foodie

GRASS-FED BEEF, truffle butters, rocket-fast grills and wild-game injectors. What will they think of next? This year, holiday food gifts target the serious at-home cook who's in the kitchen more than a couple of times a week and entertains regularly."

Is Grass-Fed Beef really classified under the "what will they think of next" category?  Hopefully, this was added out of context, but saw this and thought everyone would like a little chuckle...

what percentage of the population, or the readership, would you think has any idea what grass-fed beef is. i'm guessing a very small one. this should come as no surprise.

Gifts for the foodie

Is Grass-Fed Beef really classified under the "what will they think of next" category?  Hopefully, this was added out of context, but saw this and thought everyone would like a little chuckle...

what percentage of the population, or the readership, would you think has any idea what grass-fed beef is. i'm guessing a very small one. this should come as no surprise.

Probably no less a percentage than those who have any idea what beef even eat or are fed at all.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Gifts for the foodie

Probably no less a percentage than those who have any idea what beef even eat or are fed at all.

you're probably right. i've noticed that people are equally impressed with the phrase "grain-fed beef" as they are with "grass-fed beef." either way the readership is no doubt impressed and thinks these fancy truffles and grain-fed beefs are very novel ideas, and i'm not surprised, or amused, by their ignorance, which is what i was trying to convey, unsuccessfuly i'd think.

we, however, all know that cows have been eating grass since they could chew.

Edited by tommy (log)

I remember commercials on the Rush Limbaugh show talking about Ruths Chris, and how their 1800 degree broilers "lock in that corn-fed taste". Back then, I didn't realize that nearly all cows spend the end of their lives on grain.

Of course, that was a long, long time ago. Heck, I was listening to Rush Limbaugh... :biggrin:

edited to correct the fact that COWS eat grain, not BEEF.

Edited by adegiulio (log)

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

edited to correct the fact that COWS eat grain, not BEEF.

Unless it's fed to them.

As BSE brought to our attention, cows do eat beef, and mutton.

And as BSE also brought to our attention, they shouldn't.

Left to their own devices, however, they wouldn't.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I'm still chuckling about all the possiblities of a "wild game injector"...

They're endless.....close your eyes and let your mind wander...are you laughing yet!!

:laugh:

Lefty Ruggiero to Donnie Brasco: "Anywhere you go, all around the world, all the best cooks are men."

I immediately thought of the flavored ammo (there was another thread about it on here a month or so ago) when I read "wild game injector."

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 2 weeks later...