• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Swiss Wine

Tom G

My friends and I are making fondue for New Years, as we often do...and I usually do a last minute search for Swiss wine, feeling like I need to imbibe the wine that is made side-by-side with the cheese.

And invariably any stores that have Swiss wine are sold out of anything decent by the time I get there, since everybody else has the same idea...and good swiss wine seems to be hard to come by in NYC.

So...

1) Any recommendations on great Swiss wine? Both red and white?

2) Any recommendations of stores in NY-area that have good depth and breadth of selection of good Swiss wine?

I am the importer... beware. See a complete list here: http://www.dreyfusashby.com/

Robert Gilliard makes good Red and White is and a very good producer.

No a lot of Red is Switzerland. The house red is a blend called Dole. A blend of Gamay and Pinot Noir. Lighter and fruiot in style. In the Italian speaking area you will find some pretty good Merlot but it is harder to find in the USA.

Several white wines are producers but 95% of the white production is made from the Chasselas grape. Quality vairies a lot.

Superstar White producers are:

Henri Badoux & J. & P. TESTUZ SA

Some wines available in NY are:

Sterling Cellars NY: New York. Delivery charges apply. Gilliard 2003 Fendant Du Valais, 2003 $18.99

Bottle

18-Dec-2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Main Street Wines & Spirits NY: Nyack. No minimum order. 20% case discount available. Delivery charges apply, free local area delivery. Gilliard Fendant Les Murettes 2005 (750 ml bottle) , Valais, 2005 $19.99

Bottle

18-Dec-2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rochambeau Wines & Liquors NY: Dobbs Ferry. No minimum order. Delivery charges apply. Fendant Les Murettes Blanc Robert Gilliard Robert Gilliard, 2004 $21.99

Bottle

18-Dec-2006

Raeders Wines & Liquors NY: Albertson. No minimum order. Case discounts apply. Delivery charges apply. Gilliard Fendant Les Murettes $21.99

Bottle

18-Dec-2006

Astor Wines NY: New York. No minimum order. Free delivery within NY state for orders over $150. Fendant du Valais "Les Murettes", Gilliard 2005, 2005 $23.99

Bottle

18-Dec-2006

Rochambeau Wines & Liquors NY: Dobbs Ferry. No minimum order. Delivery charges apply. Dol Des Monts Robert Gilliard 2003 Robert Gilliard, 2003 $24.99

Bottle

18-Dec-2006

Main Street Wines & Spirits NY: Nyack. No minimum order. 20% case discount available. Delivery charges apply, free local area delivery. Badoux Aigle Les Murailles 2004 (750 ml bottle) , Switzerland, 2004 $31.99

Bottle

18-Dec-2006

Sherry-Lehmann NY: New York. No minimum order. Delivery charges apply. Badoux, Aigle Les Murailles (Switzerland), 2004, 2004 $35.95

Bottle

18-Dec-2006

Main Street Wines & Spirits NY: Nyack. No minimum order. 20% case discount available. Delivery charges apply, free local area delivery. Testuz Dezaley L'Arbalette 2004 (750 ml bottle) , Vaud, 2004 $40.99

Bottle

18-Dec-2006

Astor Wines NY: New York. No minimum order. Free delivery within NY state for orders over $150. Dézaley "L'ArbalEte", Testuz 2003, 2003 $43.99

Bottle

18-Dec-2006

Viscount Wines & Liquor NY: Wappingers Falls. No minimum order. Delivery charges apply. CH. D'AUVERNIER, NEUCHATEL '03, 2003 $18.69

Bottle

18-Dec-2006

Main Street Wines & Spirits NY: Nyack. No minimum order. 20% case discount available. Delivery charges apply, free local area delivery. D'Auvernier Neuchatel 2005 (750 ml bottle) , Neuchatel, 2005 $19.99

Bottle

18-Dec-2006

Soho Wines and Spirits NY: New York. Minimum order must be over $85. Delivery charges apply. 2002 Neuchatel (Ch. du Auvernier)), 2002 $20.99

Bottle

18-Dec-2006

Raeders Wines & Liquors NY: Albertson. No minimum order. Case discounts apply. Delivery charges apply. Chateau d'Auvernier Neuchatel, 2002 $20.99

Miniature

18-Dec-2006

Beacon Wines & Spirits NY: New York. 10% discount per case of wine. Free delivery in Manhattan (minimum order $20) or $20 shipping charge. Chateau d'Auvernier"(2003 Swiss White), 2003 $21.99

Bottle

18-Dec-2006

Raeders Wines & Liquors NY: Albertson. No minimum order. Case discounts apply. Delivery charges apply. Chateau d'Auvernier Neuchatel $21.99

_

18-Dec-2006

Zachys NY: Scarsdale. Minimum order of $100. Case discounts available. Delivery charges apply. Neuchatel D´Auvernier Switzerland (750ML) Limited Quantity $22.99

Bottle

18-Dec-2006

Beacon Wines & Spirits NY: New York. 10% discount per case of wine. Free delivery in Manhattan (minimum order $20) or $20 shipping charge. Chateau d'Auvernier (2005 Neuchatel White: Switzerland), 2005 $24.99

Bottle

18-Dec-2006

Union Square Wine & Spirits NY: New York. No minimum order. Delivery charges apply. Chateau d'Auvernier Pinot Gris 2000, 2000 $26.99

Bottle

18-Dec-2006

RAF

Chasselas is the classic "fondue wine". Not easy to find, but very well matched.

When all else fails, drink what the locals drink. There's always logic behind the pairings of local food specialties and local wine. They developed together and go together perfectly.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

"Chasselas is the classic "fondue wine". Not easy to find, but very well matched."

But they can be found....

all of the wines listed below are Chasselas

Gilliard Fendant Les Murettes

Fendant du Valais

Badoux, Aigle Les Murailles

Testuz Dezaley L'Arbalette

CH. D'AUVERNIER, NEUCHATEL

RAF

• 2 weeks later...

People warned me...but i didn't listen and maybe i should have...

I bought two bottles of Chateau D'Auvernier Pinot Gris (i love the grape in many other guises from many other countries) and two bottles of Domaine Tissot Cotes du Jura Pinot Noir (ditto...and although it's not from Switzerland, it's from right next door).

Neither was terribly interesting...especially the swiss pinot gris...dull...and it cost me $26.99 per bottle.

The pinot noir was a little better...at least more interesting...but was really very "country"...had no finesse...and was a young 2004...

Next time I think I'll match my wines by what i know...rather than trying to match the terroir which was my silly snobby idea!

But i thank the respondents for their informative opinions...they were most helpful.