• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any good chocolatiers in Laguna Hills/long beach?

sote23

I'm heading down to laguna hills/long beach area and was wondering if anyone knew of  any good chocolatiers or good chocolate shops in the area.

thanks

hey sote23,

i was just down there...i don't think there's too much going on, but i'll let the locals chime in. that's a bit of a spread from long beach down to laguna hills so there may be something i don't know about. i usually just go for good asian food!

Well as alamoana said, there's many mile from LB and LH. We do have a Teuscher (I believe that's how you spell it but don't hold me to it) that's located in Fashion Island in Newport Beach, same company that's also located in New York and elsewhere. I'm not to crazy about their stuff though. At the Irvine Spectrum you have Chuao Chocolatier which they seem to do a bunch of flavored caramels which have grown on me. If you go a little north of Long Beach you will find Jin Patisserie in Venice Beach. I like their chocolates, plus they have many pastries and a tea house. Unfortunately there's not much to choose from and to be honest with you, I have seen other chocolatiers come and go over the last few years, but don't seem to do well here. It's strange because in the Irvine Spectrum you have both Chuao and Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. You can go into Chuao and it will be very slow, then you can walk down to Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory and it's packed. I know it's not Chuao fault because before Chuao there was another chocolatier in there before Chuao and it went under with in a year or so.

There is at least one chocolate shop that has opened here in Laguna Hills within the past year. Unfortunately, I can't remember the names/locations nor have I been to them. I'll keep my eyes open and ask around.

Sorry I can't be more helpful--I'm trying to lose weight, thus avoid these places.

Deb

Liberty, MO

I was thinking there's a chocolatier in Belmont Shore (adjacent to Long Beach) but looking on the web it's not leaping out at me by name, anyway.

I did notice on their website under 'events' they have a chocolate festival in February, so you might contact them and ask.

I was trying to remember the name of the place in Seal Beach and stumbled onto this website covering all of the OC.

We spend a lot of time in Surfside so I see a lot of places but not being an afficionado, I rarely stop in them. If some of the locals don't chime in I can ping the friends we stay with - surely one of them will confess to having a sweet tooth.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I was trying to remember the name of the place in Seal Beach and stumbled onto this website covering all of the OC.

Unfortunately almost all of these places are just candy stores :( or a Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory replica. But there was one that I saw that has been said to have a good reputation and that is Le Chocolatier in Laguna. I did try to find it one day, but I didn't have the correct address and wasn't able to give it a try. Now that I have the correct address (thanks to moonsnsqrl) I'm probably pay them a visit in the next few days.

I did a search and brought this place up in laguna hills? anyone know anything about them?

http://www.cfcchocolate.com/

They're not in CA, they're located in Tulsa, OK.

I came up with them in a search, too. They must have some sort of facility here, as they've got an address/phone. Next time I'm over that way, I'll drive by and check it out.

Deb

Liberty, MO

I did a search and brought this place up in laguna hills? anyone know anything about them?

http://www.cfcchocolate.com/

They're not in CA, they're located in Tulsa, OK.

I came up with them in a search, too. They must have some sort of facility here, as they've got an address/phone. Next time I'm over that way, I'll drive by and check it out.

What's their address here in CA? It's not listed on their site and I wouldn't mind driving by and checking it out.

I was thinking there's a chocolatier in Belmont Shore (adjacent to Long Beach) but looking on the web it's not leaping out at me by name, anyway.

I did notice on their website under 'events' they have a chocolate festival in February, so you might contact them and ask.   

We spend a lot of time in Surfside so I see a lot of places but not being an afficionado, I rarely stop in them.  If some of the locals don't chime in I can ping the friends we stay with - surely one of them will confess to having a sweet tooth.

thanks that site is helpful.

Belmont Shore is a neighborhood, located in the east part of Long Beach. And that is on the Pacific Ocean and Alamitos (sp?) Bay. Even Naples is part of Long Beach...but I don't know about chocolate there...

Unfortunately in between Long Beach and Laguna Hills you are looking at the great chocolate wasteland, heck the entire southern Cal is with two exceptions

1-Chua is decent , try the bonbons, you will also find El Rey bars there

2-Jin Patisserie in Venice is probably the best around here, she also makes yummy pastries. try the chocolate inspiration, it is very good

The weather is beautiful today, and probably tomorrow, rain is expected Saturday and Sunday

Have a good trip

Tarek