• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

About David Hawksworth and the Q&A

We're pleased to welcome David Hawksworth, chef of Ouest Restaurant in Vancouver, to eGullet.com for a Q&A session August 21 and 22, Wednesday and Thursday, 2002. You may begin asking questions at any time, and Chef Hawksworth will be here to answer them on the arranged dates.

From his official bio:

David Hawksworth, a native Vancouverite, got his first taste of cooking apprenticing in some of the city’s top kitchens. Barely out of his teens, fuelled with ambition and anticipation, he left Vancouver for London, England to join the brigade of Marco Pierre White’s new restaurant The Canteen, in Chelsea Harbor. Inspired by White and with a mission to learn as much as he could, he followed in his mentor’s footsteps when he went on to join the internationally acclaimed, Le Manior aux Quait’ Saisons, in Oxford, where White himself had trained. At Le Manior, Hawksworth was under the direction of renowned chef Raymond Blanc for almost four years, rising through the ranks to become Blanc’s sous chef and then his head chef at a new location; Le Petit Blanc, also in Oxford.

Lured back to London by White in 1996, he joined L’Escargot in Soho, assuming the position of Head Chef, during his eighteen months at the helm he successfully retained the restaurant’s one Michelin star rating. Before leaving London, Hawksworth also worked with Philip Howard at The Square, and with acclaimed chef Bruno Loubet opening Isola in Knightsbridge. Hawksworth has travelled extensively in Europe, always observing and learning about new techniques and products. He has completed stages, the Roux Brother’s Waterside Inn (Michelin three star) in England, at La Belle Otero (Michelin two star) and Le Crocodile (Michelin three star) in France as well as at Tribeca in New York.

When he turned 30, Hawksworth decided to return to his beloved Vancouver and just two years ago was appointed to open a small 70-seat dining room in the city’s South Granville area.

At Ouest, his menu brings together a deep respect for the traditional techniques he learned in Europe, with an emphasis on flavours from local ingredients and a flair for innovative combinations. He maintains a relentless drive for perfection together with an insistence on seasonal variety. Since opening in December 2000, Ouest has collected numerous awards for its cuisine, service and wine list. Hawksworth himself has received significant media attention appearing on national television as a guest on CTV’s Gaberau Show, as well as on Urban Rush, Friday Food, Saturday Chefs, Gas Light Gourmet and Carefree Cooking. His talent has also been recognized in international publications such as Bon Apetit, Wine Spectator, Eat Magazine and Food Arts.

In May 2002, Hawksworth joined chefs from sibling restaurants Araxi in Whistler, and CinCin and Blue Water in Vancouver, to cook a BC regional themed dinner at the prestigious James Beard House in New York city. The dinner was a sell out success and whilst there, he also managed to spend a day in the ‘Rolls Royce’ of kitchens at Alain Ducuasse New York, an experience he describes as ‘second to none.’ He is a keen golfer and fisherman, an avid skier and loves the outdoor active life style that Vancouver offers.

On account of his very busy schedule, we ask that each user ask a maximum of two questions with a limit of one follow-up each.

OUEST

2881 GRANVILLE STREET, VANCOUVER, BC, V6H 3J4. TEL: 604 738 8938

Please visit the Ouest Web site for menus and additional information.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Oh, great, I forgot to disable replies on this one. :raz:

Perhaps this will teach Cabby the importance of enlisting confederates. I fully expect to see questions from Nina and Wilfrid that begin "If you have the time . . ." and "If you feel comfortable discussing it . . ." :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Steven -- No, it'll be something more obvious, like "Eggs; Humor", which I hope some member (Wilfrid -- was that an implicit offer!) will be willing to soon put forth on the board so I won't have to use up a question. :blink: (It can be copied from the Blue Hill or other Q&As)

Be sure you assign it to someone, though. Otherwise it'll be like "I'm Spartacus" around here.