• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

gift ideas?

Tkrup

I've got a good friend who is the head brewer at a brewpub, and I'm looking for gift ideas from folks who probably know better. I'm looking for neat gadget ideas or esoteric ingredients for brews, but any ideas will help since I'm kinda stumped here.

Thanks!!!

I've got a good friend who is the head brewer at a brewpub, and I'm looking for gift ideas from folks who probably know better.  I'm looking for neat gadget ideas or esoteric ingredients for brews, but any ideas will help since I'm kinda stumped here. 

Thanks!!!

Does your friend homebrew?

Do they have a home kegorator?

Do they enjoy going to beer tasting events?

Do you know their favorite brand/style of beer?

Twitter: Audiofan2

www.sacramentocook.com

I've got a good friend who is the head brewer at a brewpub, and I'm looking for gift ideas from folks who probably know better.  I'm looking for neat gadget ideas or esoteric ingredients for brews, but any ideas will help since I'm kinda stumped here. 

Thanks!!!

Does your friend homebrew?

Do they have a home kegorator?

Do they enjoy going to beer tasting events?

Do you know their favorite brand/style of beer?

He used to homebrew...and in really large batches, however nowadays he's so busy with brewing at work that its pretty much fallen by the wayside

He built a large kegorator complete with four taps and a handpump...so that's kind of out of the running for gifts as well.

He likes tasting events, but hosts brewers dinners (he's won multiple awards, so he's a little jaded)

He's really into Belgians and uber-hoppy Northwestern style ales, but he has no problem appreciating pretty much any style of beer.

I hope you're beginning to see the depth of my problem here.

Thanks!!!

...A classic "What to buy for the man who has everything" dilemna! My first thought was some beer that he can't get in the state/region where he lives -- maybe by mail order if he isn't inclined to do that for himself, or have some friends visiting from other areas bring something unique from where they live. Most brewers and all-around beer lovers I know welcome the opportunity to taste something different.

There's also the idea of beer merchandise ordered online... like t-shirts with witty sayings or whatever. ...Don't know what your friend already has along those lines. I love my t-shirt that says Fizzy Yellow Beer is for Wussies.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I went to this site: Mr. GoodBeer.com

to order gifts for a couple of my friends who are very difficult to buy for because they have so much already.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Just a quick update for the few who posted ideas. First of all, thanks!! I wound up buying him a T-Shirt from a place here in Hawaii called Crazyshirts. It's dyed with beer, and carries the Kona Brewing Company Firerock Ale logo and art. It's pretty cool. I'll probably bring him some Kona Brewing Company beers as well so he can try what's been sustaining me since I moved to the island.

Happy Holidays everyone!!