• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bah humbug

Gary

Ouch. A beautiful Sunday ruined with a three-peat of candymaking disasters.

2pm: Peanut brittle.

Joy Of Cooking recipe (page 788). Cook to 295F for a "tender" brittle. Chewy. Sticky. Awful. Trash can.

3pm: Chocolate-covered crunchy hazelhut cookies.

Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Herme (pg. 87). Heat to 140F. Cool to room temp. Slice & bake for 22min @ 275F until dry & dull. Result: Flaky, fell apart, won't hold together. Awful.

5pm: Chocolate and Lemon caramels.

Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Herme (pg. 169). Cook to 243F. Result: Undercooked "squishy" caramel. Current status: Sitting out on the countertop... destined for the trash if it doesn't firm up overnight.

Today was lots of wasted nuts, sugar and enthusiasm. I even went so far as to boil some water to make sure my instant-read thermometer was accurate (it is right on the money!!). The boiled water was the lone success in today's culinary adventure.

I was hoping to walk into the office Monday morning with an impressive plate of goodies. Now I feel in quite a "bah humbug" mood.

Any similar sad tales out there?

Gary

:laugh: ouch gary! what a day...

well, i had some similar baking fun ( :blink: ) today....i was invited to a holiday cookie exchange. there was some pressure because i'm in the biz and everyone there would be in the biz.

i made a batch of cookies, forgot to add the butter! didn't matter too much because it is a chocolate "decadence" type cookie and they still came out okay. but just in case, i made another batch...

the second batch did not come out attractively at all. looked like little piles of puppy poo :hmmm: , so i made sure to wrap the cookies in cello and placed the rather large recipe card right in front...hiding the cookies!

to add insult to injury one of the guests was none other than Flo Braker (author of "The Simple art of Perfect Baking).

another guest was pastry chef Janet Rikala (very well known in San Francisco) :huh:

you can imagine the performance anxiety (can women have that?!) i was going through today...

glad to see it wasn't just me. :laugh:

Thanks for starting this thread... I had some bad results this weekend too. Trying the Korova cookies from Pierre Herme (hmm.... notice a trend here?) and they were too crumbly, so I nuked the batter to soften it and finally was able to form the batter into a roll that would hold together, sliced and baked.... and the cookies didn't move in the oven! They came out exactly as I had cut them... which is not the prettiest appearance... I was expecting them to spread a bit and come out, well, more cookie like.. these were a test run for this years cookie exchange.. and of course I've already made all the dough and froze it, so I have to figure out how to process it to get a decent result. I don't know which is worse, to have to present less than perfect items to other professionals like alanamoana had to do or to present them to a bunch of regular folks like at my regular job, where they all expect me to pull off something fancy!

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

Thanks for starting this thread... I had some bad results this weekend too. Trying the Korova cookies from Pierre Herme (hmm.... notice a trend here?) and they were too crumbly, so I nuked the batter to soften it and finally was able to form the batter into a roll that would hold together, sliced and baked.... and the cookies didn't move in the oven! They came out exactly as I had cut them... which is not the prettiest appearance... I was expecting them to spread a bit and come out, well, more cookie like.. these were a test run for this years cookie exchange.. and of course I've already made all the dough and froze it, so I have to figure out how to process it to get a decent result. I don't know which is worse, to have to present less than perfect items to other professionals like alanamoana had to do or to present them to a bunch of regular folks like at my regular job, where they all expect me to pull off something fancy!

Dip half of each cookie in tempered chocolate, they'll think you meant to make them look like little discs.

Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Herme (pg. 169).  Cook to 243F.  Result:  Undercooked "squishy" caramel.  Current status: Sitting out on the countertop... destined for the trash if it doesn't firm up overnight.

If I were you, I'd recook the caramel to a higher temperature, maybe 250 or so. Or I'd cut it into small pieces and coat them in chocolate.

Sorry you had such a bad weekend, Gary!

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same cookies...are they the ones with two layers of pate sablee and then chocolate dough with hazelnuts in the middle? Because if so mine came out fine, and stuck together very nicely. But I feel like these may not be the same cookies you're referring to.

However, I definitely can say I've had success with the caramels...although maybe I like my caramels squishy? But I made them, following the reciepe, for a dinner party favor once and everyone raved about how they melted in your mouth.

I'm sorry you had such a frustrating day!! That's kind of what happened to me the other day with an apple pie...and normally pies are my specialty...

Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Herme (pg. 169).  Cook to 243F.  Result:  Undercooked "squishy" caramel.  Current status: Sitting out on the countertop... destined for the trash if it doesn't firm up overnight.

If I were you, I'd recook the caramel to a higher temperature, maybe 250 or so. Or I'd cut it into small pieces and coat them in chocolate.

Patrick,

Can I chop up the squishy caramel, put it back in the pot, cook to 250, then pour it out again? Will this work? Will I get less-squishy caramel?

Gary

Patrick,

Can I chop up the squishy caramel, put it back in the pot, cook to 250, then pour it out again? Will this work? Will I get less-squishy caramel?

Gary

I've done this a couple of times, and it worked, though one of those times I went too far and the some of the caramel actually got too hard.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Those are Dorie Greenspan's World Peace cookies..I think she got the recipe from him (or was that the lemon curd?) or vice versa. I've made them from her new cookbook and understood that they were supposed to be that way, crumbly dough, and that they baked up into little disc. I rather like the little disc shapes, they look as though they'd been cut w/cookie cutters. A little dipping chocolate on the bottom sure wouldn't hurt things though...or just half of the cookie. When you look at the picture of the sables' in "from my home to yours" you'll see they come out of the oven perfectly flat and round..as you say, just as you cut them. These are just a chocolate form of a sable'. You made them perfectly. Don't forget the salt.

edit: these cookies look beautiful to me, I love the uniform shape and size. They are much easier to 'present' for gift giving or on a tray this way. They are also one of the best tasting cookies I've ever eaten, much less made!

Edited by highchef (log)

Ouch.  A beautiful Sunday ruined with a three-peat of candymaking disasters. 

2pm:  Peanut brittle. 

Joy Of Cooking recipe (page 788).  Cook to 295F for a "tender" brittle.  Chewy.  Sticky.  Awful.  Trash can.

3pm:  Chocolate-covered crunchy hazelhut cookies. 

Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Herme (pg. 87).  Heat to 140F. Cool to room temp.  Slice & bake for 22min @ 275F until dry & dull.  Result:  Flaky, fell apart, won't hold together.  Awful.

Today was lots of wasted nuts, sugar and enthusiasm.  I even went so far as to boil some water to make sure my instant-read thermometer was accurate (it is right on the money!!).  The boiled water was the lone success in today's culinary adventure.

I was hoping to walk into the office Monday morning with an impressive plate of goodies.  Now I feel in quite a "bah humbug" mood.

Gary

My day wasn't AS bad as yours. I was making pralines and the nuts wern't warm enough when they hit the syrup and everything seized...that was ok, although not what I intended. I just made praline paste for my truffles with the mass. It's one less step I have to do next week.

I also followed a spice pecan recipe that I have used with great success a hundred times...and burned 20 bucks worth of pecan halves. I had the timers on and everything..stirred, etc. All I can think of is the oven temp went off since last time I made them, so when I did the next batch I ignored the recipe and dropped the temp and time and just watched and stirred. They were ok. I wish I could think of something to do with 'somewhat too brown sugar spiced pecans'. Just 5 minutes less in the oven would have saved them.

I dipped some cinnamon marshmallows in chocolate and they made the day worthwhile in the end. If I eat any more of the things, I will look like a marshmallow.

Could it be a weekend of bad baking karma? In addition to the ruined bundt I mentioned on another thread, I just took my latest Minimalist No-Knead Bread out of the oven. It's foccacia-flat. Probably the 12th loaf I've made. It tastes okay, but I won't be making any sandwiches on it today, unless I decide to slice it horizontally and try for a muffaletta.

The suggested way of shaping these cookies didn't work for me either, and also they could look better.

I often make Korova cookies (my favorite name for them) but shape them differently. They are always a big hit, so try them again and maybe you can try the way I do it:

I follow the recipe exactly as far as ingredients and mixing.

I divide the crumbly dough into 2-3 blobs and place each on a piece of plastic wrap.

With my hands on the outside of the wrap I bring the dough together so it sticks and is not crumbly and then pat it out to the 1/2 inch thickness suggested. No need to bring out the rolling pin.

Then I cut them out with a sturdy round cookie cutter (I think it's 1 1/4 inch diameter).

I moisten the tops with a little water and dip the tops in a mixture of sanding sugar and a some fleur de sal (actually, Maldon salt), about 3/4 sugar and 1/4 salt.

Then I bake as directed. They end up with a sparkly top and look a lot better.

I also freeze the discs for baking later. In that case, sugar the tops before you bake them.

I ruined a large batch of cookie dough myself yesterday -- forgot the baking powder until the end. I tried adding it then and test-baked one cookie which was hard. So into the trash it went. Mis en place, mis en place, mis en place!

Made caramels this weekend too. First time cooking this recipe here in Florida. I did not account for the drop in elevation (moved here from Colorado a few months ago) so they are a bit soft, but still coated well.

Also got the first layer of my peppermint bark down but lost the enthusiasm ti finish that off. Will do that tonight.

Patrick Sikes

www.MyChocolateJournal.com

A new chocolate review community

PS I Love You Fine Chocolates

me too with the to soft caramels... I reheated to 250...still to soft. I am going to try again..should I do 255 or 260 to be sure? The come out of the pan to re-heat pretty well.

Luckily my cookies for our swap today did come out pretty well- it was a pecan recipe from Martha Stewarts Every Day Food Cookie Book. However, I needed 36 cookies..and I was able to eke out 36 cookies of nice uniform size...

but I spent all weekend wishing I had been able to get at least 37- I wanted to eat one so bad. :sad:

...Luckily my cookies for our swap today did come out pretty well...

...but I spent all weekend wishing I had been able to get at least 37- I wanted to eat one so bad.  :sad:

Oh go ahead, eat one! Or at least cut one bite out of one cookie and put it on top!!

nibble nibble

:raz:

I wish I could think of something to do with 'somewhat too brown sugar spiced pecans'.

Make DUKKAH

I've used all sorts of nuts and all sorts of spices............dip your bread in olive oil and then the dukkah, or coat chicken, fish etc before baking. Great stuff !

Ah hah! Now I know what happened to me yesterday! Bad baking karma!

I have had some samples of cake mix from my distributor who has been bugging me every week to try it. So yesterday I decided I would. What a mistake. At first I thought I did something wrong with the chocolate variety - they looked like hockey pucks. So I made some yellow ... hockey pucks. Then just to keep them all company, I made some white ones. I can't wait to see him again and tell him that this isn't going to work :hmmm: but I think I must have weighed the water/oil wrong (I won't tell him that though!!) - I mean people use this stuff all the time and they aren't selling hockey pucks. But I feel better knowing that others had problems too.

Alanamoana - loved the performance anxiety quip! :laugh::laugh:

Okay, I'll make you feel better. This was MY Sunday!

1. Caramel filled truffles. I had some pre-formed truffle shells, but I think I screwed up the caramel filling because by the time it was cool enough to pipe into the shells, it was too hard to pipe into the shells. Finally bit the dust and figured it HAD to be cool enough and piped away. When I tempered my chocolate and went to plug the shells, they had..... well, let's just say the caramel was NOT cool enough to fill the shells. One tray of truffle shells and one recipe caramel in the trash.

2. Successfully (thank GOD) lined one bon-bon tray with milk chocolate. Filled with cashew butter ganache. Sealed bottoms. Whoo. Started on nougatine. Heated almonds on half-sheet tray and re-weighed almonds on scale. Set half-sheet aside. Brought sugar/glucose to 248. Didn't look right. Shouldn't it be darker? Sugar starting to burn. Eek. Poured almonds in. Added butter. Stirred madly. Grabbed half sheet with bare hands to line with silpat to pour in nougatine. Forgot half sheet was hot. Dropped half sheet on top of setting bon bon mold. Grabbed half sheet with towel, but not before half of the bon bon bottoms had melted onto bottom of hot half sheet. Burned nougatine AND right hand.

3. I won't go into my white chocolate-raspberry ganache. Let's just say: 1-1/2 pounds of white callebaut... bye bye!!!

It was HORRIBLE! I finally made a batch of fleur de sel caramels. I was amazed, but I did not screw those up. At least SOMETHING turned out okay. It was a cursed Sunday.

Ouch.  A beautiful Sunday ruined with a three-peat of candymaking disasters. 

2pm:  Peanut brittle. 

Joy Of Cooking recipe (page 788).  Cook to 295F for a "tender" brittle.  Chewy.  Sticky.  Awful.  Trash can.

3pm:  Chocolate-covered crunchy hazelhut cookies. 

Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Herme (pg. 87).  Heat to 140F. Cool to room temp.  Slice & bake for 22min @ 275F until dry & dull.  Result:  Flaky, fell apart, won't hold together.  Awful.

Today was lots of wasted nuts, sugar and enthusiasm.  I even went so far as to boil some water to make sure my instant-read thermometer was accurate (it is right on the money!!).  The boiled water was the lone success in today's culinary adventure.

I was hoping to walk into the office Monday morning with an impressive plate of goodies.  Now I feel in quite a "bah humbug" mood.

Gary

Well, I deffinately feel better now... thanks for the advice guys.. :biggrin: I think I'm going to go with achevres' version. I actually even have Maldon salt, so it might be a sign...

Dipping in chocolate would be good, but I'm just so disenheartened with this batch that I just want to get it over with... but I will keep that in mind for the next time I make them. They really taste great though... that's their saving grace.

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

I wish I could think of something to do with 'somewhat too brown sugar spiced pecans'.

Make DUKKAH

I've used all sorts of nuts and all sorts of spices............dip your bread in olive oil and then the dukkah, or coat chicken, fish etc before baking. Great stuff !

maybe with some lamb? I mean, they've got cinammon on them too. If they didn't have that and allspice, I'd try some sort of dense fish.

Great Idea, Dockhl. I'll try some sprinkled on a moussaka!

Takomabaker..How much do you figure that bit of nasty karma cost you? At least some of my screw ups were salvageable. I'd have been tempted to try to save that carmel/chocolate meltdown somehow. I am scared to death to try to make something like that, just for that reason. I was thinking of reheating my caramel, pouring it out thin, then cutting it to fit around the marshmallows when cool. right now I have to strech pieces around to fit, and it's not looking too pretty. The 'ugly' ones will have to be covered in chocolate...poor dears!

Yeah, I think yesterday really was a cursed day for baking. I spent all day trying to make some greek feta cheese filled turnovers for a party. I made the dough and the filling (3 batches) on saturday. On sunday I was trying to fill them, only to find that the turnovers would not seal. I tried egg wash, I tried crimping with a fork, but they wouldn't stay closed. Eventually I made them in mini tart pans, and that worked out ok, but to top it all off, I didn't even think they tasted that good. It was a recipe from The Greek Cook by Rena Salaman, which is one of my favorite cook books. I won't be making them again.

Takomabaker ouch, I almost felt the pain while I was reading , gosh I am sorry, I know how it feels ( other than the burnt hand wich happens to me often :wacko: )when everything goes horribily wrong.

I have to say that reading this thread made me think , what did I do yesterday?Ohh yes yesterday I said to my husband that was my NO day you know one of those days , where you drop everyhting I mean a cused day , this is funny because I didnt think much of it , then I read this and u,mmm whats up?Gotta watch out that Karma huh?Or was the egullet planet not alligned?! :laugh:

Vanessa

I have tried hard to do candy making this weekend..It was impossible, but not just in Louisiana. All over the south, humidity is 60, temp is 70,... No pralines, no divinity, nothing to do with sugar at all.

the weekend? duh, looks like the week to me.