• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bahn Mi 88 hours

What are the hours of Bahn Mi 88? I went yesterday around 6:00-6:15 and it was all shut down.

I had to settle for a lesser bahn mi sandwich...doh!

On a fun note, I got to check out Viet Wah for the first time. I picked up a basil seed and honey drink...has anyone seen this thing? It is wild, it looks like somebody bottled up a leopard. I dont want to drink it, it looks so cool.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Laurie and I tried to go for lunch today, but they were closed. I'm hoping they're on vacation, although there was no sign to that effect.

I think they're usually open 9-6. We ended up at Buu Dien for lunch, and it has more atmosphere and better drinks, but with the exception of the roast chicken, none of the sandwiches lived up to 88 quality in my view.

Seattle Deli, it appears, has moved into snazzy new digs on the west side of 12th. We were afraid of missing the bus so we didn't stop in. Also, there are lights on and people at work inside the Malay Satay Hut, but it's still coming soon.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Name of Establishment 88 Deli

Address 1043 S. Jackson St, Seattle, WA 98104

Date/Time Closed August 13, 2002, 3:30 PM

Reason Operating without approved Food Service Establishment Plan

Status CLOSED

Date/Time Reopened ... (as yet unknown)

That's a bummer, because those 88 folks are really nice. Mamster, take this opportunity to procure some Seattle Deli bahn mi.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I've been going to Seattle Deli. How do you like their new location, MsR? I still think 88's BBQ pork is the best, but SD has some other goodies, like coconut bubble tea and steam table food, including a pork-stuffed bitter melon dish that looks good (I was going to try it last time but they didn't have it).

Anyone tried the egg rolls at Seattle Deli? They're a bargain at 50 cents and crisp and tasty.

Seattle Deli used to be tucked away, but its new location should be easy to spot. Stand at the door of Bahn Mi 88, looking mournfully at the "Closed" sign. (Note: Wear rubber tongue guard.) Then turn around and look due north. See Asian Plaza across the street. Look a bit beyond that, and you will see Seattle Deli straight ahead, on 12th, on the west side of the street. New building, I believe somewhat beige-ish.

I haven't had the steam table fare yet, but I'd like to try it. LainerX mentioned that she had a very tasty tofu/mushroom dish there. I was surprised that the new store isn't much bigger than the old one.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I was in the I.D. earlier today. Bahn Mi 88 was open.

Kathy

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Finally FINALLY I had a sammy from Bahn Mi 88 today for lunch. The guy told me that they'll soon be having hot foods available too, once their little kitchen is all finished.

I had the combo with chicken and pork. For some reason I was thinking these were hot sandwiches. ?? Nonetheless, it was quite tasty, and jeez, what a bargain!! I can't believe they can sell them for that cheap!

So.. did I have the right thing? What else should I try? Maybe I'll dig through those old bahn mi posts...

Born Free, Now Expensive

sweet sweet bbq pork. I ordered four of them yesterday.

Note: He takes cash or check, no cards. I had to go to viet wah and get some cash back to feed my addiction.

Also Note: Viet Wah only lets you take cash back if you buy more than $20 of stuff. They were nice and let me do it with $10. I ended up with a huge tin of cookies. yay!

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

• 2 weeks later...

Something funny happened yesterday. I had a meeting in Pioneer Square yesterday at 5, and I need a snack, so I stopped in at 88 for a BBQ pork, which I ate while walking down to the meeting. I finished it just as I arrived, and when I got there, one of the other people at the meeting said, "Hey, I just read your thing about banh mi!" And I'm thinking, "You read about me eating a banh mi just now? What the hell is going on?"

Then I remembered that my review of Seattle Deli was in the paper that day.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I lost our bahn mi innocence today at 88. The barbeque pork, as advertised, was excellent. Frankly, I was astonished at how good the bread is that they use. For the price I wasn't expecting much. Thanks for clueing us in.

The owner said that the kitchen is finished and that they'll start having hot food in about 10 days. Not sure if anything could drag me away from the sandwiches though.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Check out this huge, giant ripoff.

I just read in a review of food served at Seahawks Stadium that a place called Saigon Stand is selling bahn mi for $7 a sandwich inside the stadium!! The reviewer, Bart Ripp of the Tacoma News Tribune, described the sandwiches as "Vietnamese sandwiches" with "beef, chicken or pork with lettuce, carrots, cilantro, radish and jalepenos."

I wonder if those football fans know they can get the same sancwich (probably better) for $1.50 about 5 blocks from the stadium. I feel like going down there and setting up a sign or something..."for cheap, good food, head 5 blocks East people!!" :raz:

The rest of the review talks about how expensive and crappy the food at the stadium is. Probabaly not a shocker for most sports fans, but still an entertaining read.

When Bahn Mi 88 starts selling hot food, will someone please post here? Many thanks!

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

The rest of the review talks about how expensive and crappy the food at the stadium is. Probabaly not a shocker for most sports fans, but still an entertaining read.

As bad as the food situation can be at our stadiums (which I can't say first hand since I have not been in years), Steven Shaw has told us in another thread that things are much worse where he is in NY (I think he was complaining about Shea stadium). He's envious of our stadium food as I recall. :blink:

gc - $7 for a bahn mi at the stadium? Yikes!

tighe - glad to hear you and your wife got to try a banh mi! Now, are there any PNW egulleteers who still have not had one?? :hmmm:

• 1 month later...
When Bahn Mi 88 starts selling hot food, will someone please post here? Many thanks!

Made the trek to 88 for lunch today and they now have hot food. About half a dozen entree options in chafing (sp?) dishes. Looked good, but not good enough to tear me away from the the BBQ pork sandwich option. In the ongoing tradition of gouging their customers, the price for the hot food is $3 for your choice of two entrees with rice.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

A (vegetarian) friend of mine who occasionally posts on eGullet noted that while they mostly talk about expensive restaurants on New York, here on PNW "all they talk about is Vietnamese pork sandwiches."

Sounds like an 88 lunch on Saturday.

• 4 months later...

Bahn Mi 88 also has a full service Vietnamese restaurant in White Center, 9418 Delridge Way SW. It's run by the wife of the fellow who has Bahn Mi 88 up on 12th and Jackson. She is delightful. I was there for lunch yesterday. In addition to bahn mi's, they offer a number of appetizers, pho's, other meat/seafood/poultry w/ noodle dishes, rice dishes, assorted vegetarian dishes and a large selection of Thai dishes as well. Prices are cheap. I opted for a combination pho, with rare beef, flank, tendon, tripe & meatballs. It was a little more rustic and the noodles skinnier than other pho's I've had, but it was delicious. Her noodles are fresh as opposed to dried & reconstituted, and I thought the flavor of the broth was better than the one I had at Pho Bac last week. White Center has an amazing number of Pho places. I must have seen about 5-6 places within a few blocks. It's an interesting ethnic restaurant area in general, I think.