• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eat's after Forrest Theatre

doc slaughter

I'm taking my sisters and nieces to the Forrest on the 17th for the 2pm Phantom show and they want to go out after and eat.I've been to the Caribou Cafe and was wondering if anything else real, real close by that's good (nothing real fancy or upscale necessary) The tickets came with an ad for Moriarty's but I don't know anything about it. I really need to stay within a block or 2 at most especially if weathers and issue. Katie L i could really use your input here, also Sandy don't be shy either.

I can tell you that Moriarty's wings are as good as they claim they are -- and they're also large and meaty. The rest of the fare there isn't quite up to the level of the wings, but it's good enough and competently prepared, and they have a good selection of beers to go with their food. You and your clan won't be disappointed dining there.

Also good and close by is More Than Just Ice Cream in the 1100 block of Locust, which offers what I'd call "upscale comfort food" at reasonable prices. And they have good ice cream, too. No liquor license, though.

I've not eaten at La Boheme on 11th below Locust, but it seems to have established a reputation as a good, not terribly expensive place to eat. Menu is French Mediterranean. BYOB, but license pending.

That's about it for the really good, really close to the Forrest places.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I haven't been in Moriarty's in a million years, but I have a hard time picturing that it could be wheelchair accessible. I think it's up several steps, or am I remembering it incorrectly?

For what it's worth, La Boheme has been taken over by Olivier de Saint Martin from the Caribou Cafe, supposedly focusing on seafood. Haven't heard anything about the food.

Seems like Caribou might be your best bet, given the proximity.

If you want something different, Pastorale on 13th, just half a block south of Walnut, is pretty good Korean. Can't remember the floorplan, but I think it's on one level.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I've also heard good things about the wings at Moriarty's, but it gets really busy before and after shows... and, unless they have a back entrance, I don't think it's accessible. I ate there once and when they say they can put blue cheese on something, they really mean a thin blue cheese dressing, not actual blue cheese and that's one of my biggest pet peeves of tchotzke-type places.

If you are willing to go two blocks, and your fam likes sushi, there's a great little place near the intersection of 10th and Locust called Shinju.

There's also an Italian place on the 11th block of Walnut, Portofino? I've never been but I walk by everyday. And, the pizza place, Top Tomato? Hmm... you'd think after three years of walking down this block I'd do a better job at remembering what's there. Irish Pub is also on that block. Um, food is not their forte. Around the corner, on 11th Street, is Sante Fe Burrito that is pretty casual, but tasty. They have a couple of steps, but they may have a a ramp for them. Other than that... Subway? Wendy's? probably not what you're looking for.

It's too bad that 13th Street is probably a stretch, since you could hit Lolita or El Vez. It's rough with Jefferson right there, I wish they'd made more of an attempt to fill the ground floors of their buildings with retail and restaurants. There is a Marathon Grill in the works for 10th and Walnut, but that doesn't help you at all!

I'm a fan of Caribou if you end up there again... I would call to make a reservation for a table, though. That will ensure that they have a seat on the ground floor and not in the mezzanine level.

I didn't see anything about accessibility in the original post, or I might have made some different recommendations. No, Moriarty's is not accessible at all.

The restaurants on the north side of the 1100 block of Walnut, from east to west, are:

Wendy's (fast food burgers etc., accessible)

Top Tomato Pizza Kitchen (specialty pies a la California Pizza Kitchen, accessible; however, if you're going to a pizzeria just for the pizza, NYPD behind Wendy's on 11th is much better and fully accessible, but it might not be able to accommodate your party in its seating area if it's a large one)

Pompeii (haute Italian, accessible, pricey)

New Heaven (Chinese and sushi, sushi counter accessible but not main seating area)

The Irish Pub (nobody goes there for the food, one step into the main bar and dining area)

Portofino is in the 1200 block of Walnut, as is Aoi (Japanese with all-you-can-eat sushi special; food nothing to write home about). Portofino is pricey but excellent; traditional and Northern Italian dishes prepared with a light touch. Both Portofino and Aoi are accessible.

Pastoral, on 13th opposite Woody's, is not accessible -- the main dining area is a few steps up from the street-level entrance, and I don't think there's enough seating in the small street-level portion of the restaurant for your party. If you're going to consider someplace this far from the Forrest, you might as well put El Vez, Lolita and Raw--all at or near 13th and Sansom--on your list. All are accessible; Lolita is BYOB. There's also Fergie's Pub -- a local dive with a lot of character and okay food -- in the 1200 block of Sansom.

Santa Fe Burrito is accessible, but I don't know how well they're equipped to handle large parties. Word is that Doc Watson's Pub -- a Jefferson med-student hangout on 11th just down from Santa Fe Burrito that became a nuisance bar under its previous owners -- will reopen soon under the original management with a new chef who is serious about producing really good pub fare. I don't think it's slated to open by the time you and your relatives are going to the Forrest, though.

Edited to add: Oops! Ignored the subtitle completely.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Hi Doc:

I'm thinking you'll have to stick to the corporate chain type places, since they're likelier to be worried about lawsuits and such for non-compliance with the Disabilities Act. Sadly, that doesn't leave too much room for really good eats.

That's Sandy's 'hood, so he knows what's there far better than I do. I think Caribou is a good option. I also enjoy the Middle Eastern place that's at 13th & Walnut, but that might be too far. Irish Pub for a burger, maybe? I dunno. It isn't exactly the epicenter of cuisine around there.

Naked Chocolate Cafe at Juniper & Walnut is marvelous for a light snack, some pastries and hot chocolate that's to die for. It's at street level.

If I think of anything else between now and then I'll let you know.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

if you're going as far as 13th street, vintage is handicapped accessible and has good food, although the service leaves a lot to be desired.

the middle eastern place katie is referring to is sahara grill; last time we went there things weren't so great. well, the side dishes and all were pretty good, but the main meat courses seemed like they'd been cooked before and reheated on the grill--really well done, tough, dried out. stick to the stew-type of things and side dishes, and avoid kebabs, and you'll be fine. it's also inexpensive and byob and accessible.

Thanks all for such fast replies. I didn't expect my options to be to great with the wheelchair requirement but it's surprising that they are so very very few, I think that until something like this showes up in our lives and affects us in a personel way we dont think of how much it limits the people that have to deal with such matters on a daily basis. Just the condition of the sidewalks on most streets in the city are probably enough to discourage wheelchair use. Think about it when you enter any space and even if it's just one step it's going to be very difficult if your in a wheelchair. Any thanks for all the help I'm guessing it's back to the Caribou and I'll be sure to follow the advise about the reservations. Thanks and Happy Holidays , HO HO HO.

you got that right, doc--we were in a similar position relatively recently with family staying at the marriott and trying to figure out where we could walk to with a wheelchair. the screwed up curb cuts alone are depressing enough to make you want to stay inside if you're in a wheelchair.

it's weird though, thinking of all the places i know right in that area, how many of them have even just a step or two up.

Thanks all for such fast replies. I didn't expect my options to be to great with the wheelchair requirement but it's surprising that they are so very very few, I think that until something like this showes up in our lives and affects us in a personel way we dont think of how much it limits the people that have to deal with such matters on a daily basis. Just the condition of the sidewalks on most streets in the city are probably enough to discourage wheelchair use. Think about it when you enter any space and even if it's just one step it's going to be very difficult  if your in a wheelchair. Any thanks for  all the help I'm guessing it's back to the Caribou and I'll be sure to follow the advise about the reservations. Thanks and Happy Holidays , HO HO HO.

Actually, it sounds to me like it's the "real, real close by" requirement that's more restrictive than the "wheelchair accessible" requirement. I'm guessing from this post that it's not practical for you and your party to venture off the 1100 block of Walnut. Most of the establishments off this block I and others have mentioned are accessible; only Pastoral isn't, IIRC.

Edited to add: And a Happy Christmahanukwanzakah to you too.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)