• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foolproof method for "unmolding" bundt cake?

SusanGiff

Bundt cakes have become my favorite cake and I never have a problem getting them out of the pan. Here's what works for me...

I never use a spray coating. They contain lecithin which eventually will build up over time and cause your cakes to stick in the pan. I'll bet that old pan has seen a lot of Pam or similar.

For light cakes, I butter the inside and dust with flour. For chocolate, I use half vegetable shortening and half cocoa and then dust with cocoa. The shortening/butter should be room temp, so it will spread evenly and get into the design.

I grease the inside of the bundt with a pastry brush and make sure all the nooks and cranies are greased. I sift the flour or cocoa into the bundt using a small sifter. Some of my bundts have intricate patterns which get obscured by too much flour/cocoa. I have the worst time with the Bavarian style bundt, ugh! Bang out the excess dry coating onto some parchment or a flexible cutting board to recyle it or just to control the mess.

I wait about 5-10 minutes after removing the bundt from the oven to unmold. The worst issue I've encountered that makes me crazy is overbaking. I don't wait until the tester comes out completely clean to take it out of the oven, by then it is overbaked and likely to be dry.

HTH

However, after passing the night it came to me...don't toss the cake and don't give it to your neighbors who get your disasters (happily too).

You can also make a trifle with the cake disaster. Break it up into chunks, mix with whipped cream/pudding/lemon curd and/or fresh fruit.

Then just say "I meant to do that." :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

You can also make a trifle with the cake disaster. Break it up into chunks, mix with whipped cream/pudding/lemon curd and/or fresh fruit.

Then just say "I meant to do that." :wink:

Thank you for that one. What a good idea. And when one is dismayed and unhinged...it seems that all good ideas flee.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.