• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Masa

JBN

In search of fresh masa. Haven't been able to find it in Manhattan. Willing to travel, but need to be able to get there by public transportation.

And if you know of a place, do you know if they carry it regularly or only on certain days of the week. I've heard of markets in the west, for example, that only have fresh masa available on Suday.

but is that fresh?

If you're referring to the masa harinas on that site, no, it's not. That's the dried form available in a number of places in Manhattan. I'm hoping to find freshly made masa.

This is a request that circulates on the net from time to time, but usually without result. There was a taco place on 117th street (I think) that sold fresh masa on the side, but they stopped as demand didn't justfiy it. I know of no other place. That said, the Mexican community continues to grow, so there is hope.

• 4 months later...

*sigh* I was hoping to find an answer on here, but alas there was none. Anyone know any recent developments on the fresh masa front?

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

A few years ago I went on a quest to find fresh masa in NYC, without success. I was teaching myself Mexican cooking from Diana Kennedy's early books, and was determined to do everything the hard way, except make masa.

I seriously doubt you'd find anyone making fresh masa commercially in nyc. It may be worth inquiring at some Mexican restaurants. La Palapa may be a good place to start, because the two women who opened that restaurant always claimed to be devotees of Kennedy, and her strict adherence to starting from scratch.