• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Antonio - Merged topics

Rosie

Pamjsa, I would imagine they are going to be close to downtown, as my dad is going to a conference. I plan on driving down and taking my mom to the outlet malls in San Marcos, and then bringing her back to San Antonio for dinner with my dad. I may come back the next day depending on work. Thanks for the recommendations; the restaurants I've been to on the Riverwalk have been mediocre at best. :smile:

Also, is there any good barbeque in San Antonio? My mom likes good ribs.

Edited by erin360 (log)

Oddly enough, I can't think of any barbecue options downtown. There is a Rudy's on I-35 as you're heading north out of San Antonio, toward the outlet mall--nothing fancy, of course, but decent ribs. I'm actually a big fan of their peppered turkey.

Also in that vicinity--in the Forum Shopping Center--is an excellent Thai restaurant, Thai Spice. I'd definitely recommend it, if you're in the mood for something of that sort. They have a terrific lunch deal, $7.50 for soup, entree and spring roll.

Rudy's might do the trick for my mom on the way to shop. Has anyone tried Biga on the Banks? I read reasonably good things about it elsewhere. I also heard Liberty Bar was worth checking out for a casual experience. Any details would be appreciated. :wink:

Edited by erin360 (log)

• 7 months later...

I'll be in San Antonio for dinner tomorrow night. Usually when I travel for work I've done a ton of research and have a clearly defined plan a week or more in advance. Not so, this time. Anyone have a recommendation for me? I'll be staying by the airport, but will have a rental car, and with a free afternoon was thinking about checking out the Riverwalk et al. So something around there would be convenient, but since I have a car, I could go elsewhere.

I like all kinds of food, from great ethnic to haute cuisine.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by tammylc (log)

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Hope my message is in time. Check out the Liberty Bar. Any cabby will know.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

• 2 months later...

Anything new since these posts? We will be spending a week in San Antonio for a conference, staying by the Riverwalk. Some of the travel info they sent about Riverwalk seems to indicate that there are a number of the usual chain suspects, likely to be avoided. Any further Riverwalk recommendations (Tex-Mex or otherwise)? We won't have transportation, but are sure willing to take a taxi or public transportation to find some decent places-at any end of the spectrum. Thanks.

Mark A. Bauman

If you are in SA you have to check out Liberty Bar. Worth the trip for nothing else -- only a mile or two from downtown.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

• 2 months later...

I'd recommend Budro's on the RW. You should also venture out of the downtown area for some great Tex-Mex at Blanco Cafe, and a visit to Blue Star Brewing near town. That part of town(S. Alamo St.) is very walkable, and has many great restaurants. Guajillos' is also very good. The Mercado is always worth a visit, and the Broadway Central Market is my favorite of all of the Central Markets.

FM

Frank in Austin

Neither MX, MX-TX, or TX-MX, but The Silo (on Broadway, but far enough north that the street is called something else I can't remember) and The Liberty Bar on Josephine. Liberty Bar is an institution with an ecelctic and wonderful menu.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

• 1 month later...

Did a quick search of the forum and didn't find anything that really helped. What are the top, most interesting restaurants in the area? Do any of these restaurants have good wine lists with REASONABLY priced wines? It seems like San Antonio is a culinary desert. Please prove me wrong.

Thanks in advance.

OOOOhhhh! Liberty Bar on Josephine St. ... for lunch. Refreshingly wonderful and eclectic. Biga on the Banks, Chez Ardid, The Silo (really excellent) would be fun for dinner. Zenaida's Patio for local, historic color, And, of course, Mi Tierra in the Mercado, for breakfast in the wee hours.

I know that there are many more great places, but these are some of my fave go-back-to's.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

OOOOhhhh!  Liberty Bar on Josephine St. ... for lunch.  Refreshingly wonderful and eclectic.  Biga on the Banks, Chez Ardid, The Silo (really excellent) would be fun for dinner.  Zenaida's Patio for local, historic color, And, of course, Mi Tierra in the Mercado, for breakfast in the wee hours. 

I know that there are many more great places, but these are some of my fave go-back-to's.

Theabroma

Thank you - I'll check them out. Do they have good wine lists?

http://www.restaurantlereve.com/

not cheap. but excellent. terms of pricing on wines i doubt it is what one would call reasonable, but i really do not know since on the two occassions i have been i had the wine pairings....

rankings being subjective and all take this as you will, i believe Gourmet ranked them as the Fifth best restaurant in the country....

OOOOhhhh!  Liberty Bar on Josephine St. ... for lunch.  Refreshingly wonderful and eclectic.  Biga on the Banks, Chez Ardid, The Silo (really excellent) would be fun for dinner.  Zenaida's Patio for local, historic color, And, of course, Mi Tierra in the Mercado, for breakfast in the wee hours. 

Theabroma

Thank you - I'll check them out. Do they have good wine lists?

Le Reve is one of the great resteraunts in America, NYC, San Francisco, New Orleans, Las Vegas, or-----no kidding, pure class.

Edited by Bill Miller (log)

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

• 1 month later...

Last Thursday, we stopped with some friends for lunch at The Lodge in San Antonio. The restaurant is in an historic house that was the "castle" in what's now the Castle Hills neighborhood. The dining spaces are in various rooms throughout the house which has been maintained pretty much in its original configuration.

Everything about our lunch was outstanding - the food, the service and the setting. They offer an incredible lunch deal from a set menu - 2 courses for $12 or 3 courses for $16. And any bottle of wine from their excellent list is %25 off. There are also a number of wines offered by the glass. Among our party of 4 we tried 2 first courses - a lovely roasted pepper soup garnished with some herbed ricotta and (maybe) basil oil, and risotto with bits of roasted baby eggplant, arugula, other vegetables and cheese - pecorino Romano, I think. Both delicious! Three of us had one of their signature dishes for mains - "Grilled Texas Bobwhite Quail with Point Reyes Blue Cheese "Farrotto," Butter Baked Apple and Grilled Pear Salsa." The quail is mostly boned, so it's easy to eat, and the combination of flavors and textures was just wonderful. For dessert we tried another signature dish - "Soufflé" Inspired Chocolate Nutella Cake with Hazelnut Ganache and Berries, and something else that was buttery and caramelly. Guess what? Both were great!

I can't imagine how they are able to offer food of this quality at this price. The dinner menu is quite a bit more expensive, but still good value, considering the lovely setting and exceptional food. If you find yourself in San Antonio, seek this place out. http://www.thelodgerestaurant.com/

Last Thursday, we stopped with some friends for lunch at The Lodge in San Antonio.  The restaurant is in an historic house that was the "castle" in what's now the Castle Hills neighborhood.  The dining spaces are in various rooms throughout the house which has been maintained pretty much in its original configuration. 

Everything about our lunch was outstanding - the food, the service and the setting.  They offer an incredible lunch deal from a set menu - 2 courses for $12 or 3 courses for $16.  And any bottle of wine from their excellent list is %25 off.  There are also a number of wines offered by the glass.  Among our party of 4 we tried 2 first courses - a lovely roasted pepper soup garnished with some herbed ricotta and (maybe) basil oil, and risotto with bits of roasted baby eggplant, arugula, other vegetables and cheese - pecorino Romano, I think.  Both delicious!  Three of us had  one of their signature dishes for mains - "Grilled Texas Bobwhite Quail with Point Reyes Blue Cheese "Farrotto," Butter Baked Apple and Grilled Pear Salsa."  The quail is mostly boned, so it's easy to eat, and the combination of flavors and textures was just wonderful.  For dessert we tried another signature dish -  "Soufflé" Inspired Chocolate Nutella Cake with Hazelnut Ganache and Berries, and something else that was buttery and caramelly.  Guess what?  Both were great!

I can't imagine how they are able to offer food of this quality at this price.  The dinner menu is quite a bit more expensive, but still good value, considering the lovely setting and exceptional food.  If you find yourself in San Antonio, seek this place out.    http://www.thelodgerestaurant.com/

I've yet to make it up to The Lodge, but I competed against their chef de cuisine at the young chef's competition the last three years. great, great cook (and a nice guy too), so I'm not surprised by your experience. I've really gotta make it up there.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this and setting tighter parameters . . . lunch on a Saturday, Sunday breakfast, lunch on a Monday, early dinner on a Monday.

If the restos there don't typically close Sundays and Mondays someone can just tell me that and answer accordingly. I really wanted to try La Reve but we won't be there anytime they are service, apparently. Good food at any price point - we're neither snobby nor frugal - just want good food, whether it's upscale or funky.

Thanks in advance.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 2 weeks later...

As it happened, The Lodge did a special four-course dinner on the Sunday of the Final Four weekend, so we were able to partake of their goodness. What a meal! From amuse (simple blackberry and raspberry, with a dab of TX goat cheese, fennel pollen and honey from Italy) to gazpacho w/crab and avocado, duck confit orrichieti, fabulous filet and a deconstructed blueberry cheesecake for dessert - all was incredible and ridiculously low-priced. As someone said upthread . . . how can they DO it?

The setting is beautiful, too, and the service polished. It was truly an oasis is a sea of over-crowded insanity.

Thanks for the suggestion and, if you haven't been, go!

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 5 months later...
I saw the recommendation for Mi Tierra. Any other places for a good Tex-Mex breakfast, e.g. huevos rancheros, etc.?

I cannot recommned Le Reve highly enough for fine dining. As for Mi Tierra, well to each their own, but IMHO it absolutly SUCKS. Worst dining experience in SA, ever. Click here if you care for more details.

Do yourself a favor and head to any taqueria for a better meal.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 1 month later...

Quick report: we did get to Mi Tierra for breakfast; was adequate; wouldn't have returned for any other meals. Didn't get to La Reve, but had excellent food/wine/service at Las Canarias, Citrus at the Valencia Hotel with a group, Pesca for some excellent fish/shellfish. For Tex-Mex, think our favorite was Rosario's. El Mirador, La Fogata were decent. Went to La Paloma Blanca, which was highly recommended, but were disappointed and I'm not sure it was worth the long taxi ride from the RiverWalk area where we were staying. Went with a group on a river dinner cruise, which I think was a mistake. We could have taken a boat cruise (which we did during the day and was excellent), had a dinner on the RiverWalk and spent a lot less money for much better food. I won't mention the name of the restaurant that catered, but I'm sure the food served at the restaurant itself was superior to that served on the boat. Can anyone recommend some favorite taquerias for our next trip? Someone did recommend El 7 Mares for seafood, but didn't have time to get there.

Mark A. Bauman

Can anyone recommend some favorite taquerias for our next trip?

Thanks for sharing the report, Mark. Next time for tacos, you might check out:

Patty's Taco House

Rolando's Super Taco

El Milagrito

Taco Taco Cafe

Henry's Puffy Taco

To leave San Antonio without trying a puffy taco would be a shame, I think.