• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

salsa di pomodoro

begpie

wich is the best way to make a good tomatoe allround sauce for an italian restaurant kitchen,now we use peeled mutti tomatoes mixed with olive oil,basilico and sea salt without boiling it. any suggestions?

and yes mario batali uses canned mutti tomatos

I also use canned tomatoes, just like every Italian I ever observed in a kitchen during my years there. An exception is in summer, for certain recipes, when toms are at their very best.

My method; saute some onions in a good slosh of olive oil until nearly translucent, add chopped garlic if you like a couple of minutes before the onions are ready for liquid. Depending on what I need the sauce for, I often add chilli along with the garlic.

Tip in your canned tomatoes and squish well with a potato masher or have that pre done. I add a good squeeze of tomato paste, some sugar, and here is my secret ingredient...stock cube. I know, it is not traditional but it adds a great depth to the sauce. My favourites are Knorr and Star. I always come home from Europe with a kilo or so of those cubes!! Stock powder just doesn't cut it IMO. Taste and adjust seasoning 15 minutes into cooking. The stock cube, if you use it, would have contributed some salt.

I never cook the sauce with herbs added. They are thrown in toward the end and/or at serving time.

Simmer for an hour or so or until you get a slick of oil on top of your sauce. It needs to reduce by at least a 1/4 to get the desired intense flavour. That again is what I like and as my suocera Piera taught me so.... :smile:

I use the above ingredients and method for an Amatriciana, Puttanesca for eg.

Just add black olives, capers, and anchovies to a chilli based sauce for the Puttanesca and fry off some bacon with extra chilli for the Amatriciana. Some flatleaf parsley in the sauces and you are set.

May I ask why you dont boil your sauce?

I also use canned tomatoes, just like every Italian I ever observed in a kitchen during my years there. An exception is in summer, for certain recipes, when toms are at their very best.

My method; saute some onions in a good slosh of olive oil until nearly translucent, add chopped garlic if you like a couple of minutes before the onions are ready for liquid. Depending on what I need the sauce for, I often add chilli along with the garlic.

Tip in your canned tomatoes and squish well with a potato masher or have that pre done. I add a good squeeze of tomato paste, some sugar, and here is my secret ingredient...stock cube. I know, it is not traditional but it adds a great depth to the sauce. My favourites are Knorr and Star. I always come home from Europe with a kilo or so of those cubes!! Stock powder just doesn't cut it IMO. Taste and adjust seasoning 15 minutes into cooking. The stock cube, if you use it, would have contributed some salt.

I never cook the sauce with herbs added. They are thrown in toward the end and/or at serving time.

Simmer for an hour or so or until you get a slick of oil on top of your sauce. It needs to reduce by at least a 1/4 to get the desired intense flavour. That again is what I like and as my suocera Piera taught me so.... :smile:

I use the above ingredients and method for an Amatriciana, Puttanesca for eg.

Just add black olives, capers, and anchovies to a chilli based sauce for the Puttanesca and fry off some bacon with extra chilli for the Amatriciana. Some flatleaf parsley in the sauces and you are set.

May I ask why you dont boil your sauce?

i boil the sauce with the other ingredients a la minute,thats just a base sauce,then u add stock,wine,oliveoil,fresh tomatos and other ingredienrs depends on wich plate you are preparing.

If I may contribute my two cents, then I'd like to point out that - whichever is your favorite salsa - try to make it as simple as possible, if you want to have a real italian taste to it. Make an effort to use excellent ingredients: not just the tomatoes, but also the olive oil, the garlic or onion that you use, the salt. BTW, in Italy garlic and onion are very SELDOM used together. Either use the one or the other.

Also, basil and oregano are NOT a winning combination.

In vino veritas