• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seen this kind of neck on a liquor bottle before?

jlo mein

The other day I picked up a bottle of Havana Club Anejo Reserva from the local liquor store. When I opened it, I found that it has an odd plastic device wedged into the neck of the bottle. From what I am able to tell, it prevents liquid from coming out when trying to pour in a normal fashion (tilting the bottle sideways). The only way liquid will come out is if the bottle is turned completely upside down, and then it comes out much too quickly.

Has anyone seen this before? Is there some sort of trick to operating it? I have included pictures with and without flash.

havanaclubanejo.jpg

necknoflash.jpg

neckflash.jpg

Don't! You'll mess it up. It can't be removed without completely destroying it. Many rum companies deploy the plastic whatchamacallit to prevent tampering and counterfeiting. The framus prevents the bottle from being refilled with inferior product and when intact indicates to the buyer that it's indeed the real McCoy.

myers

I also noticed the HC "pourer" thingy was one of the more annoying ones.

I think it's partly a result of the shape of the bottle making it difficult for air to get in when it is full.

But, it's really only irritating for the first quarter (or so) of the bottle. After that it's easier for air to get in on one side and rum out the other.

So, really, your problem is, you haven't drunk enough rum!

Get to work on that!

:wink:

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Don't! You'll mess it up. It can't be removed without completely destroying it. Many rum companies deploy the plastic whatchamacallit to prevent tampering and counterfeiting. The framus prevents the bottle from being refilled with inferior product and when intact indicates to the buyer that it's indeed the real McCoy.

Indeed!

Brought back some Rum from Colombia with just such a device.