• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai Food Supplies

HD73

both hung vuong at 11th & washington and 1st oriental at 6th & washington carry galangal. for that matter, so does whole foods at 10th & south, usually.

lime leaves i haven't seen in either place (but i don't look that closely that often), but sue's produce at 18th & sansom has had a sign in their window for the last several days saying they have them for a limited time only.

The big store at 6th and Wahsington has the Kaffir lime leaves frozen. I've bought them several times and they are just fine.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

both hung vuong at 11th & washington and 1st oriental at 6th & washington carry galangal.  for that matter, so does whole foods at 10th & south, usually.

Glad you got what you needed ... just to second 1st oriental, they seem to have galangal fresh all the time ... I've not seen kaffir lime leaves, either fresh or frozen there.

Regards,

Jasonz

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

Glad you got what you needed ... just to second 1st oriental, they seem to have galangal fresh all the time ... I've not seen kaffir lime leaves, either fresh or frozen there.

i haven't either, but i haven't looked real closely--they do have a ton of frozen stuff in those chest freezers over on the left side of the store. screwpine leaves, for instance, i saw there not that long ago. there were some other things that caught me off guard in that 'oh, i didn't know you could get that here!' kind of way, but i don't remember what they were off the top of my head.