• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tiffin - Indian on Girard

TarteTatin

Ordered some Tiffin for lunch yesterday with a few coworkers and had it delivered. Lamb Vindaloo, Chicken Tikka Masala and Navrattan Korma, a mixed veggie dish. Everything was delicious. I ordered a garlic Naan for the first time and really enjoyed it. It was a little soft due to being steamed in the foil it was wrapped in, but was still excellent. Really garlicky! I'd caution others to make sure their dining companions eat some too, so as not to be the only offensive party at the table.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 4 weeks later...

I had a really excellent lunch today at Tiffin - it was my first time, so I tried a bunch of the standards - veggie samosas, saag paneer, chicken korma, and the amazing lamb chops. We got to meet Munish Narula, the owner, and after talking for a little bit, we found out that he is opening the entire second floor up for dining starting next week. While there's nothing wrong with the downstairs dining room, Munish said that it can get pretty crowded with takeout customers and those eating in. Also, he was having trouble accommodating groups of 6 or more during the busy hours. Anyway, the upstairs solves all of those problems - oh yeah, and its also a beautiful space, complete with an antique (although non-functioning) elevator - trust me, its cooler than it sounds - and stunning photos of India by Munish's neighbor. I for one am excited - lunch was better than expected (and I went in with high expectations) and I can't wait to get back for dinner!

Exceptional food + wine tours of Sicily & Puglia.

Export manager: regional Italian foods

Blogging at: Getting Lost in Sicily

"At the table, you forget your troubles."

- Sicilian proverb

• 1 month later...

I visited Tiffin for dinner last week and the upstairs is open, and nice! My main problem with Tiffin in the past has been that I can't get it: they don't deliver to where I live and their downstairs dining area is so puny that getting a table was iffy. No longer! The food was better than any of my past visits. They have also added specials to the dining room menu. I had a lamb dish I've never seen before, delicious.

• 7 months later...

Has anyone been there recently?

I wanted to go next week, but friends said it was not really hot weather cuisine?

Seems to me that India gets hot, and hot, spicy food is especially good in this type of weather.

Philly Francophiles

Perhaps delivery to your well air conditioned pied-a-terre might be the answer?

I don't belive that there's such a thing as hot weather and cold weather cuisine when we artificially create our own environments. I'll still eat hot soup in the comfort of my air conditioned abode in the dead of summer.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Has anyone been there recently?

I wanted to go next week, but friends said it was not really hot weather cuisine?

Seems to me that India gets hot, and hot, spicy food is especially good in this type of weather.

Your friends are locos en la cabeza. In Indian, obviously.

It's as good as it's been: I've been twice in the last few weeks, and my only complaint is that I'm running out of new deliciousness to try.

• 4 weeks later...

New location for Tiffin!! See their online announcement:

Breaking News:

TIFFIN TO OPEN NEW LOCATION!

Philadelphia, PA, July 6, 2008 - Tiffin.com is pleased to the announce plans to open its second location in Mt. Airy area of Philadelphia. Located on 7105 Emlen Street (space previously occupied by the Hamlet Bistro), our second location would provide delivery and carry out services as well as a 28 seat dining room. Delivery services would initially be limited to select areas of Mt. Airy and Chestnut Hill and would expand quickly to other neighborhoods. “We are very excited about the Mt. Airy location as it would allow us to properly serve a market where we have provided limited services for past six months,” said Munish Narula, President of Tiffin.Com Inc. “Both Tiffin.Com and Tiffinstore.com web sites are being updated so customers in Mt. Airy and Chestnut Hill can also enjoy the convenience of online ordering as well utilize other valuable resources available on our sites”.

The new location would provide the now famous daily tiffin packages, starting at $7.50, and regular all day menu all made with fresh and highest quality ingredients. Tentative opening date is set for Friday, July 18, 2008.

• 3 years later...

Is it just me, or has Tiffin been slippin' over the last few months? They've always been inconsistent with delivery, often forgetting an item (last night, none of the chutneys came with the meal.) But the food quality is seemingly going downhill too. Two of our standbys, dal makhani and baigan bharta, were disappointingly bland. I think it's time to find another Indian delivery option...

Ekta.

Thank me later...the chef is a former Tiffin guy but the food seems less tamed by overproduction and dumbing down for the masses.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I haven't checked out the new incarnation of Minar Palace, but I loved it back when it still lived on Sansom Street. Can't imagine it being different. If you do check it out, report back as I'm always looking for good Indian too.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

way late to this but:

1. tiffin has been slipping majorly. i don't bother anymore.

2. ekta is significantly better; whether or not you should bother is up to you. they still do cvery good stuff though.

3. minar palace came back in full force as exactly what it was: inexpensive (though not as cheap as it was) curry house. it's a different kind of thing than the other two.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)