• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seeing the Tree

peanutgirl

The kids want to go see the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center. We've never done that, so it sounds like a nice thing to do. I'm not familiar at all with Manhattan, but will gladly take any suggestions into consideration.

We're not looking for upscale or touristy places. There are no dietary restrictions other than one child is a vegetarian (though we've never found that to be an issue while eating out).

What we are looking for is family casual dining in the general area of the tree. Ethnic is fine, even preferred.

One great idea (to me anyway!) is Wu Liang Ye, a terrific Szechuan place on 48th between 5th and 6th just to the south of Rockefeller Center...and across from the Nintendo store (you have been warned!). The nice thing is, there's a variety so there's sure to be something for everyone, even the vegetarian(s). And the food is -- wow! Get the Dan Dan Noodles appetizer.

True, though when we go with our two (older) kids we have no trouble finding something everyone likes. Our two love their dumplings...I think most kids do. I'm heading their next week, meeting our son who's going to college in CT (and who is a vegetarian).

A note: don't be put off by the very ordinary exterior. There are a lot of surprises waiting inside!

Thanks for the suggestions. The whole family loves Chinese... so that sounds great. Also the kids do have a fairly high spice tolerance (compared to their friends anyway). The dishes could be ordered less spicy as well though, couldn't they?

Thanks for the suggestions. The whole family loves Chinese... so that sounds great. Also the kids do have a fairly high spice tolerance (compared to their friends anyway). The dishes could be ordered less spicy as well though, couldn't they?

The problem with sichuan food -- especially good sichuan food, as they serve at Wu Liang Ye -- is that if you ask them to tone down the spice, the food gets unbalanced and can be, frankly, not that good. It'll often seem like it's just very oily.

The tea-smoked duck there is excellent, and not too spicy. But watch out for the rest -- even the dumplings can be spicy!

If you do go to Wu Liang Ye, I have to disrecommend the Tangerine Chicken and Beef. I went there with my brother and cousin a couple of months ago. None of us were impressed with them, unlike many who have posted on these boards. Neither dish had enough hot pepper, the sauce for the beef was a bit gloppy, from what I remember, the slices of beef were too way bigger than bite-size, and the chicken had too much breading. Both of them should have had more tangerine peel, and I seem to remember that the beef also included marmalade?

Michael aka "Pan"

• 1 year later...

BUMP :smile:

Thanks for the suggestions last year. We ended up at Wu Liang Ye and had a great meal.

Need new, and or updated suggestions please. Yep... we're heading into the city again to look @ the tree :wacko: and walk around. We'll be in that general area. Is that considered Midtown? Anything in the area is fine... not limited not Rock Center area.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated as always. Basic same guidelines apply. Kids, not upscale, not touristy. Ethnic is fine , if not preferred :rolleyes: .

Edited by peanutgirl (log)

the tree is better this year than last, which was the worst i can remember.

we went with the kids to 9th ave, chanpen thai (and 51st). i know that it's a little walk, but as long as you don't mind that, 9th avenue is great for food places to eat at, there's usually enough space in most of the restaurants, and there are plenty of choices.

also, if you need a quick snack, dean and deluca is there for pastries.

btw, i prefer chanpen to pam's real and the other one whose name escapes me.