• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Banana Cream Pie?

sandercohan

My girlfriend has requested a banana cream pie this weekend for a dinner party we're throwing (that's the way it works around here...I'm just the catering staff -- I'm no good at the "front of the house" stuff). Any favorite recipes?

s

As I'm origionally from the south, I could give you the grocery store version, which is good, but really for a higher end one, I would recommend a pastry cream with creme de banana, and/or banana puree added, then whipped cream folded in (a la chibouste), in a pate sucre crust. Whipped cream topping.

This is a variation of Banana Cream Pie called Banoffee Pie but it is AMAZING!!!! And it doesn't take long to make once you've got the sweetened condensed milk turned into toffee.

BTW, it says to boil your cans for 5 hours but 3 is plenty. As it states at the bottom of the recipe you have to make sure the cans are covered in water the whole time. I usually have the pot mostly covered with a lid to help keep the water level up to avoid an accident.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden