• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Local oysters

• 7 months later...

Totten Virginicas are quite popular and I have to say I really like them. I'm also partial to the tiny Olympias and Kumamotos.

I can't really remember having a great cooked oyster here, but I so rarely eat them any way other than on the half shell that there are probably some good ones I have missed.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I like oysters and kumamotos raw and Pacifics (which are often called something else, such as the place that they are grown) briefly grilled. Pacifics can be really big and strong, which is why they aren't my favorite raw.

A dozen Kumomotos, a lemon, and I'm a happy camper.

ditto but give me double that please and I don't need a lemon! :smile:

Man, I've eaten over 30 in a sitting a couple times and every time I've done it I feel like I'm on drugs or something. Totally savage. It usually at work though so it works out perfectly.

Man, I've eaten over 30 in a sitting a couple times and every time I've done it I feel like I'm on drugs or something. Totally savage. It usually at work though so it works out perfectly.

LOL it is easy to get mentally and physically lost in a pile of oyster shells!!!

I dont know that I have ever eaten my fill of oysters or clams...

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

LOL it is easy to get mentally and physically lost in a pile of oyster shells!!!

I dont know that I have ever eaten my fill of oysters or clams...

During sunday brunch a couple hundred oysters will get shucked and there is usually about 40 left afterwards. This is were I come in.

During sunday brunch a couple hundred oysters will get shucked and there is usually about 40 left afterwards. This is were I come in.

and you would leave all those to go to NY!!!

I am jealous!!! I can not imagine just having 40 oysters to myself ever!!!

Piglet 

Did I mention they were free? :laugh:

Did I mention they were free? :laugh:

oh just go to NY would you please!!! LOL :raz:

seriously I have eaten oysters on the east coast and on the west coast ...I loved them in Fla and Lousiana ..but the fresh oysters here are so wonderful!!! the tiny Olympias ...omg

Piglet