• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas food trail: Houston -- try something new!

jscarbor

Wouldn't it be great if we all made an effort to try a restaurant we have never been to and report back here about it? It can be a taco truck, cafe or fancy schmancy.

Lets also try and get someone that we know, who is interested in food to log on and start writing. The Texas forum has been rather boring lately.

I hit a decent taco stand at Bealle and 20t in the shady acres area. A tractor guy told me about this place a few weeks ago so I decided to try it. Verdict: its a solid taco stand with very food barbacoa and good fajita and "al pastor" meats. I had the fajita as a quesadilla and the al pastor as a gordita.

If I found myself in this area I would certainly eat again but my favorite taco stands would be

1. Taconazo for beef fajita

2. Tacombaro at the farmers market for tripas, astor, fajita and sweetbreads

3. Matamoros Meat Mrkt on Washington for carnitas

I hit a decent taco stand at Bealle and 20t in the shady acres area. A tractor guy told me about this place a few weeks ago so I decided to try it. Verdict: its a solid taco stand with very food barbacoa and good fajita and "al pastor" meats. I had the fajita as a quesadilla and the al pastor as a gordita.

If I found myself in this area I would certainly eat again but my favorite taco stands would be

Do you know of any that serve a good langua taco?

Gotta try the sweetbread taco though.

Not very exciting but I did try Potbelly today for a quick sandwich. It was pretty tasty. I already forgot the name of the sandwich but it had a hot pepper spread, roast beef, ham, swiss and other accompaniments. The bread is a step above the other chains and they offer a really cool looking ice cream shake selection like the pineapple cocunut?

• 2 weeks later...

Tried Bistro Tolouse yesterday for lunch and found it to be a overall good dining experiece with relatively good value. Started off with some goat cheese fritters with a fig marmalaid. for lnch entree I had the creole seared tune with wasabi aioli and choice of soup, salad. I chose the onion soup and expected a tiny little bowl of it but got a nice size instead. The tuna was cooked rare and had a nice crust formed, I might do the crust a little different, looking ofr a little less sweet I guess, but the wasabi aioli cut the sweetness I guess? The onion soup was great. The lunch item was $12 and the fritters were $7.

I don't think they have lingua?

After reading Robb Walsh's blog awhile back on the Venenzuelan Truck stand I finally decided to go. The truck is located in a car repair shop parking lot at the corner of Westheimer and Fondren. I tried the Patacon which is a sandwich of sorts. Instead of bread plantains are smashed and fried then lettuce, avacado, crema, tomato and ropa veja beef are added. Great sandwich!

I had a decent empenada but didn't find the kind made of "Pan" corn meal that I have come to know as Venenzuel type of empenada?

There was another sandwich that I saw a picture of that was more traditional that I want to try next called Pepitan? I'll let you know.

If you are in Navasota try LaCasita--great Tex-Mex--Carne Guisada is as good as any and great fajitas. Also Cafe M Bloomers is a tea room serving great soups, salads and sandwiches-both are on the Hwy 6 bypass. Top notch garden store at Martha's Bloomers too.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think they have lingua?

I was early for a lunch appointment at Triple A on Airline so I could not keep myself from hitting Tacombaro and eating the Sweetbreads! Really good taco.

Did North Main BBQ for lunch in Euless, it's amazing that they are not taking credit cards.  The BBQ is always good and all you can eat for $12 your choice of tea or tea...

I have not made it there yet. When are they open? As I recall it's limited days, right?

• 4 weeks later...

I made it to North Main BBQ on Saturday. They were accepting credit cards. I went at an off hour (3pm) which can sometimes be a little dicey, but they were more than accomodating to putting fresh stuff out for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hit Las Gallitos on Murphy Rd last week and have to say it was the worse Mexican food I have had in a LONG time. Just aweful. I had the carnitas los cucus. the los cucos part is some gloopy concoction of onion pepper cheese and other crap. My wife had the enchiladas verdes and had about 4 bites b4 deciding to give up and save the calories.

• 4 weeks later...

Its not something new to me but it is worth mentioning. Old Place Cafe in Sugar Land/Mo City has the best dumplings in town. The place really reminds me of the old santong snacks on Bellaire but a little nicer. Its not oppulent but if you ate at Santong Snacks you know what I mean.

I keep telling myself that I need to get the lamb noodle soup but never do. Next time!

Its not something new to me but it is worth mentioning. Old Place Cafe in Sugar Land/Mo City has the best dumplings in town. The place really reminds me of the old santong snacks on Bellaire but a little nicer. Its not oppulent but if you ate at Santong Snacks you know what I mean.

I keep telling myself that I need to get the lamb noodle soup but never do. Next time!

That place is great...I pick up food there for a quick weekday dinner all the time. BTW, they are another branch of the Xiong's Cafe on Bellaire.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

That place is great...I pick up food there for a quick weekday dinner all the time. BTW, they are another branch of the Xiong's Cafe on Bellaire.

Xiongs is the same menu right?

What else have you had at Old Place?

Edited by jscarbor (log)

It is identical.

I've had the in order of preference:

- Pork and cilantro dumplings (best dumplings I've ever had anywhere)

- Szechuan dumplings

- Scallion pancakes

- Spicy szechuan noodles

- Spicy beef noodle soup with dark broth

- dan dan noodles

- Pan fried pork dumplings

- pork and leek

- Pork noodle soup with cabbage (this was very salty and barely edible and I never ordered it again)

I forget if I've had anything else or not. Although a Chinese friend of mine highly recommends their dumplings with the broth in them...forgot the proper name for them but I've never tried them.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

It is identical.

I've had the in order of preference:

- Pork and cilantro dumplings (best dumplings I've ever had anywhere)

- Szechuan dumplings

- Scallion pancakes

- Spicy szechuan noodles

- Spicy beef noodle soup with dark broth

- dan dan noodles

- Pan fried pork dumplings

- pork and leek

- Pork noodle soup with cabbage (this was very salty and barely edible and I never ordered it again)

I forget if I've had anything else or not. Although a Chinese friend of mine highly recommends their dumplings with the broth in them...forgot the proper name for them but I've never tried them.

Scallion pancake is good. Whats the difference in the Dan Dan and the spicy szechuan noodles? The pork and cucumber noodles are pretty good as well.

Sweetbread tacos are riteous and the tripe ones are the only tripas in town that I have had that I liked.

Yeah..I've had those cucumber prok ones too. I agree they are good. I think the only difference bewteen the Dan Dan and the Szechuan is that the first one uses sesame paste and the other peanut paste...or is it the other way round.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog