• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas food trail: Houston -- try something new!

jscarbor

I like Komart but I don't know if you will get the korean bbq experince there? If you do go the 3rd stall from left has some really good spicy squid.

At Himalaya if you are going with a few people just have Kaiser suggest some dishes for you.;. He aways does a good job.

I hit Cafe Pita last week for Bosnian food. I split the HUGE pita with cheese. Its a pastry filled with beef, spinach, potatoes or cheese and served with a side of what seemed to be a sour cream cheese? The pastry was excellent. Also split the beef sandwich which was served with a bun that almost resembled a large english muffin. It was pretty good, I got the stuffed kind.

Its run by some very nice folks that seem very interested in pleasing the customer. Located on westheimer just west of beltway 8.

Man, I so want to try this place since I read about it in both the Chronicle and the Press. Seems like a true original and unique new joint. Problem is, it's so damn out of my way.

No problem, Elie! On your way out to Phoenicia Market, stop in for a quick taste.

Just got back from lunch at Cafe Pita!! So glad I managed to make it there with a couple of friends. We had the Mezze sampler plate (loved the Soujuk and the feta on it most). The eggplant dip was also very good, smoky and fresh. The one appetizer that exceeded my expectations was the fried anchovies. These beauties were awswome! Not a hint of fishiness on them. Just crispy fresh fish flavor.

For main dishes we got the lamb shank and the ground beef paties. Both very good and worht another visit, especially for the price. I'd love to try some more savory pastries next time. We also shared a rice pudding with caramel for dessert.

I'd like to also give props to the extremely friendly, knowlegable and efficient waitress (not to mention cute) Viviana. At a place like this sometimes service suffers. Not here though.

We all drank the Shockta soda. Pretty good, tasted like Lychee. Was it Lychee??

I did notice that the spicing is very mild. I would've loved a spicy pepper paste with those ground beef patties.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

If Vivian is the same girl we got then yes she is really a breath of fresh air in service. Its not contrived, its genuine. She will also really try to help out with the menu. The owner is also a nice host, it seems like the whole staff enjoys themselves.

You have to try the Pita next time, its really good.

On the heels of the Press review of Gerrardos Market I had to stop by for some grub at this nort side market/taqueria. It was a friday so not all the special dishes were available. We tried about a pound of carnitas and a half pound of sweetbreads. The carnitas were good, not a bunch or crispiness but they were tender. The side salsas added a great bit to the carnitas, one was a bright red jelepneo HOT sauce and the other was a green semi tart sauce. I added both. The sweetbreads weren't as good as Tacambaro but proved to be tasty enough. All this and some quac and cokes was like $15.

As I was leaving one of the guys that runs the place came out to the parking lot and gave me a sample(about a 1/4 pound) of the borrego, a steamed mixture of lamb and goat. It was awesome. I had inquired about the borrego earlier but it isn't "ready" until saturday. I had told the guy it would be hard to get by on sat for it so I guess he felt bad I hooked me up? I assume it was for saturday and not the previous weekends borrego but it was great nonetheless. I will certainly make a trip on weekend for the borrego again. If I were in town I wouldn't have a problem with stopping by for the other stuff but the borrego, that is why you go.

Gerrardo's is on Patton near Fulton.

I know this is probably stretch for most people to go to but a new Thai restaurant just opened in Greatwood a couple months ago. It occupies a spot that many other restaurants have, each as egually avg/bad as the next execpt....

I have had a few dishes here and feel that this might be the best Thai in the Sugar Land area. I know thats not saying much but it is saying something. So far I have had the chicken Laarb, another laarb like dish made with pork, penang curry and volcano chicken(fried chicken and peppers in a tamarind glaze. I struck up a conversation with the girl up fron and told her that I really think she is doing a great job. I told her I thought the food was better than it probably needed to be considering the clientele but she said why serve junk when serving good doesn't take much more effort. We talked little about what she does and it got to the fact that she shops for fish almost daily from a friend who has a fish place. If she runs out then the dish is not served. she told me I had to get fish next time which I will. Its calle Bangkock Cheg. The chefis the girls dad.

this discussion topic is a great idea.  after some careful thought, i compiled a list of of restaurants i have been meaning to try:

himalaya

polonia

chez georges

charivari

kanomwan

arirang

VIN

tacambero taco truck

i have himalaya tentatively scheduled for lunch next week.  i'll report back.

I don't know if this was just a bad day but I was at Farmers Mrkt today and Tacambaro was not there! Lets hope it is a vacation thing.

Jarro's on Gessner has some great tacos as well. No Sweetbread ones though.

Himalaya is great, I had it twice in 4 days recently. My waistline already shows it.

I had someTacambaro friday so its still open!

• 4 weeks later...

Went to the Tacambero Taco Truck for lunch today with a friend of mine. We had the sweetbread tacos which were delicious. Also thought the market itself was awesome. I like that its only 10 minutes from my office. Thanks for the suggestion!

M

Edited by Morgan_Weber (log)

On Saturday my wife and I were planning on going to Cafe Pita. Since this was the last time we'll be able to go out till after the new year, she talked me into going to Mark's. We haven't been there in almost two years--the last time was semi memorable, but some friends had gone there a couple of weeks ago and raved about the food.

We didn't have a reservation and ended up sitting at the bar tables. We started with some butternut squash flan, which was one of the better single dishes that I've ever had at a fine dining restaurant in Houston. For entrees, she ordered duck breast & duck confit with a raspberry glaze, and I had veal medallions (I hate that name...medallions...is it supposed to make me feel fancy?) and also a braised veal shortrib. More or less, the entrees were good. If I were to be picky, I'd say that my wife's duck could have been better. I love duck confit and really enjoy it with a sweet-ish sauce, but the raspberry glaze that accompanied it, was mostly just a raspberry reduction--sweet and syrupy. I felt that the dish needed some more savory and acidic compenents to balance it out. Desserts were forgetable. I had eggnog creme brulee, which was what one would expect from such a dessert--nothing to complain about. My wife had some lemon pound cake with cranberry compote and cranberry ice cream. It sounded good, but ended up being something that one would order at say, Houston's...not Mark's.

All in all, it was one of the best fine-dining experiences that I have had in Houston. It probably wouldn't be a destination place for someone vacationing in our city, but it sadly might be among the best fine-dining we have available.

Also to note, although the house drinks are mostly vodka based (a lot of Charbay infusions) they have a nice selection of spirits & liqueurs (also fresh juices) and if you know what you like, chances are that you can order a well made drink. YMMV.

Edited by Morgan_Weber (log)

On a place I went to a couple of weeks ago. It was sooo memorable that I forgot to post about it. The joint looked like it had a lot of potential.

Lucky Burger on Richmond near Maria Selma's.

Possibly one of the worst burgers I have ever had. Tiny, thin, dry patty. Crappy frozen fries. Just awful.

• 4 weeks later...

I have recently been stopping by Guadalahara Bakery for tacos due to the proximity to my office and the fact there aren't long lines like at Taquaria Laredo. I had always thought this place was closed until I read that the Ultimate(chron) breakfast taco was to be had here. I haven't made it for breakfast but the lunch tacos are very good. You walkup to a steam table counter and a lady eventually comes out and asks ,"How many", meaning how many tacos are you having. You reply and she disappears only to return with fresh flour tortillas in hand. There are usually 5 choices at the table including, barbacoa, pork in red sauce, chicharrone, picadillo, desebrada one time, chicken mole and usually one egg dish still hanging around at lunch. If I had to choose a favorite it would have to go to the pork in red chile, but I also like the barbacoa...I like them all really.

Its a simple place that is destined to succomb to higher taxes. It usually looks closed from the outside. Its on Washington near Waugh.

Lucky has been there forever, really cool building. This place could be an icon if a little TLC was given and great food served.

On a place I went to a couple of weeks ago.  It was sooo memorable that I forgot to post about it.  The joint looked like it had a lot of potential.

Possibly one of the worst burgers I have ever had.  Tiny, thin, dry patty.  Crappy frozen fries.  Just awful.

Edited by jscarbor (log)

Lucky has been there forever, really cool building. This place could be an icon if a little TLC was given and great food served.
On a place I went to a couple of weeks ago.  It was sooo memorable that I forgot to post about it.  The joint looked like it had a lot of potential.

Possibly one of the worst burgers I have ever had.  Tiny, thin, dry patty.  Crappy frozen fries.  Just awful.

Wow. I guess I'll have to give them another shot. Maybe they were having an off-day when I was there. Hope your holidays were well.

Wow. I guess I'll have to give them another shot. Maybe they were having an off-day when I was there. Hope your holidays were well.

I meant they could be an icon because of the great building IF they served good food.

I tried Tornado Burger on the recommendation of the Houston Press. Great burger & fries but service leaves a lot to be desired. I had the spicy double meat, no lettuce no tomato w/grilled onions. I got a hot burger with a generous helping of grilled onions & spicy sauce. It was alittle greasy but what the hell, it was a tasty burger. The fries were thin cut, some crispy & some soft with just a hint of the spice they use in their sauce. I'm going back for the cheesesteak tomorrow. The place is just south of 90 on Murphy Road on the left.

I ate there awhile ago and must have hit them on a bad day. I appluad them for doing the hand cut fries but they weren't fried correctly IMO. And the spicey burger was decent but the regular burger was not good at all. choc shake was one of the worst I have eveer had. Robb Walsh and Allisson Cook both love the place though? I could name 20 places I would rather have a burger.

I meant they could be an icon because of the great building IF they served good food.

AAAH...ok. The building IS awesome.

Its been years since visiting the Sacred Heart thursday spaghetti lunch but my dad and I decided to give it a shot yesterday with good results. You can get a plateof spaghetti for $4.75 and add an italian sausage link for less than a buck and a meatballs at $.50 each.Personally I like the link, its excellent. You can also get a baked chicken that looks fried which is good or the pork chop. You dine in a little mess hall with a couple hundred people. Its a great houston tradition.

Been a long time since I went to Reggae Hut. Good place.

I noticed that the bbq joint on W Grey near Post apartments and Front Porch has a sign that says Luling BBQ coming soon? I wonder if this is the Richmond Ave Luling?

Been a long time since I went to Reggae Hut. Good place.

I noticed that the bbq joint on W Grey near Post apartments and Front Porch has a sign that says Luling BBQ coming soon? I wonder if this is the Richmond Ave Luling?

yeah, I saw that too earlier this week. I don't know the scoop on it, but it is really close to my office. Gotta say, I'm looking forward to it.

Sugarbabies on shepherd for cupcakes. I went the other day for a cupcake. Store is very cute decked out on black, white and pink. Cupcakes are all about $3.25 each. I had the tofee one and it was very good. A little on the sweet side and there might be a little to much frosting but hey, who worries about too much frosting?

Edited by jscarbor (log)

Sugarbabies on shepherd for cupcakes. I went the other day for a cupcake. Store is very cute decked out on black, white and pink. Cupcakes are all about $325 each. I had the tofee one and it was very good. A little on the sweet side and there might be a little to much frosting but hey, who worries about too much frosting?

After my wife's begging, we stopped in there a couple of weeks ago, right before closing. We ordered a couple of cupcakes--gingerbread and carot cake. They ended up sending us home with about a half-dozen cupcakes and didn't charge us. They were all really good and everyone was extremely friendly.

They've done a great job with the interior, like you said. I really wish them the best. According to the manager, the concept seems to be catching on.

I saw that Tortas Angel got a write up in the chronicle today. I have been just once and want to reiterate that the bread is the best I have had for a torta. Its a good solid place for lunch in the heights.

The guy up front said it was somehow connected to Maria Selmas ownership?

Edited by jscarbor (log)

I saw that Tortas Angel got a write up in the chronicle today. I have been just once and want to reiterate that the bread is the best I have had for a torta. Its a good solid place for lunch in the heights.

Really? didn't know about the Selma's relationship. I haven't been here but have had a strong hankerin for an awesome torta lately.

• 2 weeks later...

Really? didn't know about the Selma's relationship. I haven't been here but have had a strong hankerin for an awesome torta lately.

Went there on Monday and had a torta Cubano. It was delicious. The bread was amazing--will definitely be back.