• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ice cubes in the oven

mamagotcha

Please help save my marriage!

My husband is an amateur pastry chef, and I want to encourage him in this pursuit. Once in a while, he is instructed to put ice cubes into the oven with whatever he's baking. A Pyrex pie pan and 13x9 pan were quickly destroyed.

Last week, he used one of my cast iron skillets. I discovered it a few days later, quietly rusting away in there. He is now clear on my policy concerning this piece of cookware.

Last night, I smelled something odd, hot, chemicalish... he was baking and said some butter dripped and smoked, but it didn't smell like butter. Today, I find a well-toasted nonstick pizza pan in there. If I remember correctly, we're not supposed to let nonstick things get really hot due to offgassing nasty toxics.

I'm running out of things he can use. Should I just go to the thrift store and find some old stainless steel pot and remove the handle? What do you folks use?

Thank you!

Come visit my virtual kitchen.

I mean, it really depends on what you are making. There is an individual solution to many different things.

But if I had to give a vague opinion. A will pile on to the notion of chucking 'em on the floor.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

I toss them on a baking sheet that is on the lowest rack in the oven. I use the same baking sheet all the time as they warp easily at high temp - even the expensive ones!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I too used to throw them on the oven floor, then discovered that the water was dripping out of the front corner of the wall oven into the drawer underneath, staining and wrecking some stuff. Now I use a baking sheet or cake pan. I just take it out and clean and dry it after each use to prevent rust.