• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite vodkas

Bill Poster

Wild Turkey 101

Rittenhouse Bonded

Old Forester Bonded

Booker's

Ancient Ancient Age

Sorry...couldn't resist the drive-by snark. And the Luksusowa is quite good, in my opinion.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

Wild Turkey 101

Rittenhouse Bonded

Old Forester Bonded

Booker's

Ancient Ancient Age

Sorry...couldn't resist the drive-by snark. And the Luksusowa is quite good, in my opinion.

Bless you, Dave. I agree. and I also agree about Luksusowa. Especially when price is considered, I've never found a reason to keep any other vodka around.

--

I have a bottle of Luksusowa at home along with a bottle of the blood orange charbay which is pretty good.

I have a huge bottle of absolute that someone gave me that I just use for making tinctures and bloody marys.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I very rarely use and even more rarely drink vodka chez Bricktop, so I looked at what I had.

Absolut

Absolut Mandrin

Teton Glacier Potato Vodka (for gluten intolerant friend, but that may be another thread)

But just yesterday, the vodka thread inspired me to pick up bottles of each of the Hangar One infused vodkas. I had little sips of each, and the mandarin blossom was my initial favorite. I hadn't seen them under $30 each (usually $32-34) so I went for it. I'll find uses for them I'm sure. :smile:

I've got a bottle of key lime charbay (it was on sale), a bottle of Rain (don't care much for), and a bottle of Luksusowa in the freezer (still have yet to crack the seal).

Actually, I don't have it in the house right now; but, my favorite is Finlandia. Clean taste that reminds me a bit of grappa and not much of the rubbing alcohol smell common in some vodkas.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Jewel of Russia Ultra

Jewel od Russia Classic

Chopin

Belvedere

Goose

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

But just yesterday, the vodka thread inspired me to pick up bottles of each of the Hangar One infused vodkas.  I had little sips of each, and the mandarin blossom was my initial favorite.  I hadn't seen them under $30 each (usually $32-34) so I went for it.  I'll find uses for them I'm sure. :smile:

I'm not a vodka drinker, but I have to say that the Mandarin Blossom Hangar One mixed about 4 to 1 with Lillet Blonde (shaken and served up) makes a really great drink.

Belvedere

Ketel One

Ciroc

Effen

Shakers

i have a potentially dumb question here - if ciroc vodka is famous for being made with grapes, isn't it technically a grappa or a marc?

Grappa and marc are both brandies made by distilling crushed grape residue. I think Ciroc is made by distilling grape juice, not grape residue. But that's going to be about as far as I can explain it.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I would suggest that what makes vodka "vodka" is not the raw materials that are used, but rather the degree to which distinctive and characteristic flavor/aroma/etc. are removed by the extremely high distillation proof, filtration, etc.

This is to say that a spirit made of fermented molasses that was distilled to an azeotropic solution of alcohol and water at 192 proof, rectified through several subsequent distillations, filtered through quartz and/or activated charcoal, and then diluted with water to a bottle proof of 40% alcohol would not be "rum" due to the fact that the raw material was molasses. It would be "vodka" due to the process used in making it and the end result.

--

I don't really have a favorites list (I'm more of a scotch/whiskey guy) but I recently discovered (through a tasting at my local wine store) a new brand called 42Below. I tried the Honey infused. Let me just say to you vodka lovers that this was the best flavored vodka I've ever tasted. I bought a bottle and have enjoyed it neat or with a couple cubes. I highly recommend it (if you can find it).

That wasn't chicken

1. Moskovaya (probably spelt wrong, despite my 1/2 ukrainian blood)

2. Stoli

3. Iceberg

4. Grey Goose

5. Belvedere

We're quite limited in the vodkas we can get up here in New Brunswick, so I haven't had a chance to sample a lot of the rarer brands...

(and the whisky snarkiness post damn near inspired me to sneak Talisker into the list :)

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."