• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish stock

chappie

I live about two blocks from a great seafood market which is willing to give me fresh fishheads for free. I want to learn the best technique and recipe for turning them into stock and/or soup. Some sources say to only simmer a fish stock for an hour, others contradict.

Any seafood experts out there willing to share your secrets?

White fleshed fish such as bass, sole, cod, snapper make good stocks. In using heads, you will need to trim out the gills, the eyes, and anything dark and bloody. I would suggest any of the bodies of the before mentioned fish that they have fileted. Less work and cleaner stocks. I was taught(during my apprenticeship in Japan) a short simmer time. They even poached the bodies in a covered rondeau in a low oven. Another key was the mirepoix, leeks insted of onions, less carrot and celery because of the carotine and the strength of the celery to overpower the fish. Good luck!

I agree with Timh, use what some would call a "white mirepoix": leeks, not so much celery, turnips insteas of carrots if availabe, some fennel makes great fish stock, maybe even some mushrooms....

I'm not a fan of long simmer times, either. In cooking school, we did a tasting once: fish stock simmered for 45 minutes and one simmered for 2 hours. The first one was a bit clearer and we could perceive no change of flavor. That said, shorter time = less cloudy, but the flavor will not change if left too long. It's just a waste of firepower you could be using somewhere else.

Amother thing I like to do when doing fish stock is to sweat the mirepoix (no color) with very little oil (half and half olive oil and butter, actually), deglaze with dry white wine, reduce "au sec" add heads (clean), water and aromatics (I like crushed peppercorns, garlic, thyme, parsley, bay leaf and sometimes ginger and/or fennel leaves)

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

If you have stuff like the leaves from the celery, some onion that works too. Celery leaves are still flavorful, just maybe not as powerful as the celery itself. I did that along with peppercorns and some other aromatics when I got some shrimp and lobster shells and it made really nice stock with some good flavor.

Edited by kristin_71 (log)

If you have stuff like the leaves from the celery, some onion that works too. Celery leaves are still flavorful, just maybe not as powerful as the celery itself. I did that along with peppercorns and some other aromatics when I got some shrimp and lobster shells and it made really nice stock with some good flavor.

Use sole or turbot bones if you can. A lot of fish like bass (european) make cloudy stocks. remove gills and blood sacks, snap the back bones in a few places.

Use a white mirepoix, sweated if you want but I don't, some black peppercorns and bay leaves. Make sure the stock gets nowhere near the boil for a clear stock, I like to keep mine at 85 degrees for about 20 mins, add the mirepoix for 20 mins then remove from heat and leave to stand for 10 mins before passing and chilling. Leave the bottom 10th of the stock which will be cloudy and chalky.

This should give you a clear but not too fishy stock.

I think everyone has already given some good advice, I just want to stress the removal of the gills from the head and a thorough rinsing of any blood on the head or on the bodies. When you crack the backbone, as noted above, make sure to rinse out any blood.

I am sure down in Cambridge you can get lots of striper bodies too.

• 4 weeks later...