• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bananas

Suvir Saran

I have over 30 Bananas at home.

I was thinking I would make a large bowl of Banana Cream Pudding, but that would use only 10 maybe...

What do I do with the rest?  Any ideas??? :rolleyes:

A better question is: How on earth did you wind up with "over 30 bananas at home" that you don't know what to do with? :blink:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

A better question is:  How on earth did you wind up with "over 30 bananas at home" that you don't know what to do with? :blink:

A silly friend of mine gave them to me.... He owns a store... had these ripe bananas. I make many dozens of banana breads with his ripe banana in the fall to give away to friends.. and now.. in the middle of the summer.. he has sent this big package of ripe bananas.... :wink:

Banana Cream Pie

Bananas Foster

Bananas baked with Brown Sugar

I know these will barely put a dent in your banana supply, but your post has made me head for the market...Banana Cream Pie tonight...there goes the diet (again) :rolleyes:

would you have a recipe for that banana cream pie y ou will make later?

Would love to try it as well. :biggrin:

A better question is:  How on earth did you wind up with "over 30 bananas at home" that you don't know what to do with? :blink:

A silly friend of mine gave them to me.... He owns a store... had these ripe bananas. I make many dozens of banana breads with his ripe banana in the fall to give away to friends.. and now.. in the middle of the summer.. he has sent this big package of ripe bananas.... :wink:

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't think it was banana harvest time in New York City. :biggrin:

You can always just throw them in the freezer as is, then use the pulp later to make your banana breads.

Or, make your banana breads now and throw THEM in the freezer.

That'd get a lot of your autumn work out of the way ahead of time! :rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

A better question is:  How on earth did you wind up with "over 30 bananas at home" that you don't know what to do with? :blink:

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't think it was banana harvest time in New York City. :biggrin:

You can always just throw them in the freezer as is, then use the pulp later to make your banana breads.

Or, make your banana breads now and throw THEM in the freezer.

That'd get a lot of your autumn work out of the way ahead of time! :rolleyes:

All I want to throw anywhere at this time.. is my back.. something threw it totally out of shape.. and I am much pain. I wish I can throw it back in shape.

:smile:

I've never had samosa chaat outside of an Indian restaurant, Suvir. Where I've had it, its usually not an item found on the regular menu (you sort of have to be in the know. [g])

Its basically meat-filled (or veggie) samosas that have been split open and topped with chopped onions, tomatoes, (other veggies like cucumbers and lettuce), tamarind sauce, coconut milk, yogurt, cilantro (or other herbs) and other ingredients depending on the restaurant -- but those are your basics for starters. Its very filling and satisfying -- sort of like bhel puuri.

Serving it with banana chatni sort of came as a flash of inspiration. [g]

SA

All I want to throw anywhere at this time.. is my back.. something threw it totally out of shape.. and I am much pain.  I wish I can throw it back in shape.

:smile:

Suvir, poor thing, that's awful. My husband has an excellent chiropractor near Washington Square - if you think that might help, let me know and I'll PM you his number.

I've never had samosa chaat outside of an Indian restaurant, Suvir.  Where I've had it, its usually not an item found on the regular menu (you sort of have to be in the know.  [g])

Its basically meat-filled (or veggie) samosas that have been split open and topped with chopped onions, tomatoes, (other veggies like cucumbers and lettuce), tamarind sauce, coconut milk, yogurt, cilantro (or other herbs) and other ingredients depending on the restaurant -- but those are your basics for starters.  Its very filling and satisfying -- sort of like bhel puuri.

Serving it with banana chatni sort of came as a flash of inspiration.  [g]

SA

Thanks SA!

So the restaurants you eat it at make it with coconut milk? That is interesting.

Thanks for sharing the details. I love the samosa chaat the chefs make for me when I visit restaurants.. and like you said, it is only served to those in the know.

I thought maybe you were making samosas at home. I was impressed just to know that you know about it.. and would have been even more so if you said you cooked them at home.

I love samosa chaat with simple potato samosas. It is my favorite. And yes the cilantro and tamarind sauces are excellent with it.

Will let you know how the banana chutney is. Thanks for the recipe. :smile:

Banana Jam

(this is supposed to be Indian!)

8 ripe bananas, mashed

3 medium lemons

3 cups sugar

3 cups water

a piece of fresh ginger about an inch on each side, peeled

cloves, to taste

1. Peel the lemons, cutting the zest into thin strips. Set aside.

2. Juice the lemons.

3. Make a simple syrup by boiling the sugar and water for about ten minutes. Add the lemon juice, rind, bananas, the chunk of ginger and cloves.

4. Simmer for 30-45 minutes, stirring from time to time to avoid scorching. Remove the ginger before transfering to sterilized canning jars.

The jam will be a pale yellow mush. You don't even need to test it for jelling.

Do you make jam? If not, I've posted detailed insructions on the cooking thread in answer to a request on preserves and canning.

Banana Jam

(this is supposed to be Indian!)

8 ripe bananas, mashed

3 medium lemons

3 cups sugar

3 cups water

a piece of fresh ginger about an inch on each side, peeled

cloves, to taste

1.  Peel the lemons, cutting the zest into thin strips.  Set aside.

2.  Juice the lemons.

3.  Make a simple syrup by boiling the sugar and water for about ten minutes.  Add the lemon juice, rind, bananas, the chunk of ginger and cloves.

4.  Simmer for 30-45 minutes, stirring from time to time to avoid scorching.  Remove the ginger before transfering to sterilized canning jars. 

The jam will be a pale yellow mush. You don't even need to test it for jelling.

Do you make jam?  If not, I've posted detailed insructions on the cooking thread in answer to a request on preserves and canning.

Thanks Sandra!

It sounds wonderful.

I will make the Jam and let you know how it comes out.

I can a lot. In fact I have sitting on the table 12 Pints of Apricot Jam, 6 Pints of Peach Jam, 6 Pints each of Blueberry-Lemon and Blackberry Jams and 6 Pints of Tomato Chutney, all of these I have made in the last week.

I love canning. It is so much fun. And is a great way of sharing a simple gift with people. It is food that multiplies and makes people happy.

Thanks again for this lovely recipe. :smile:

My pastry skills suck -- samosas are a little out of my league....for now.

SA

The pastry for the samosa is really easy to make. You will become an expert after making it just once. Believe me.

Maybe someday... I can show you how easy it is by doing a demo. I have not yet tested a recipe for the pastry, or else I would share it with you.

I make it by feel.

• 3 years later...

I was given a big box of bananas and I'm trying to figure out what to do with them. I'm going to mash up a bunch in banana-bread sized portions and freeze, but other than that I'm out of ideas. I'd like to find a way to preserve them. I've made banana preserves before, which are good, but I still have a lot left from last time. I've frozen them in chunks for making smoothies, in halves for chocolate-dipped bananas, and mashed for banana bread. What I'd really like is recipes for banana hot sauce, banana chips, or unusual things to do with them. Thanks.

I was given a big box of bananas and I'm trying to figure out what to do with them.  I'm going to mash up a bunch in banana-bread sized portions and freeze, but other than that I'm out of ideas.  I'd like to find a way to preserve them.  I've made banana preserves before, which are good, but I still have a lot left from last time.  I've frozen them in chunks for making smoothies, in halves for chocolate-dipped bananas, and mashed for banana bread.  What I'd really like is recipes for banana hot sauce, banana chips, or unusual things to do with them.  Thanks.

I was given a wonderful recipe for an asian inspired braised lamb shank. The recipe uses bananas and I bet you can make a tonne of the "braising liquid" and freeze it. In fact I have a tub in the freezer. I think my tub used like 3 bananas.

[LINK]

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I thought getting a monkey was a good idea? :biggrin:

You would probably want to supplement its diet with Purina Monkey Chow though. You DO NOT want to have a monkey with the runs! :shock:

SB (remembers a friend who had one) :sad::sad::sad: