• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bananas

Suvir Saran

Mitchell London makes the best Banana Cream Tart.

I wish I had the recipe..

The crust could well have been made with Graham Crackers... he then has some custard in the base. A very think layer of chocolate and then whipped cream and bananas... some more chocolate and then whipped cream and a banana cream and some chocolate.

But it has been a couple of years since I last had it...

Anyone have a recipe for a tart like that?

::puts hands on hips::

Well, Ms. Suvir, you didn't mention limits in your request.

heh

Yogurt, bananas, a TINY amount of date sugar. A similar amount of cardamom powder if I feel like it. That's about it.

so I suppose a chutney or raita is out then?

SA

Yogurt, bananas, a TINY amount of date sugar.  A similar amount of cardamom powder if I feel like it.  That's about it.

That sounds very good. Cardamom... ehhhh... I love cardamom...

I always grind my cardamom seeds into a powder fresh.. is that what you do? Does it matter? I think it does... but many friends tell me I am too fussy...

Thanks for the recipe... :smile:

SA

Yes I will not make t hose today..

But I love banana raita. It is a great raita for the summers.

I am lazy about cooking too much today...

If I make Banana raita, I will have to cook dinner.... I was thinking of taking friends out today.

SA

SA,

The chutney actually sounds amazing. I must confess, I have never had a banana chutney.

What is it like?

Do you have a recipe?

Can one make it with RIPE bananas?

I would be game for trying it out. If you have a recipe that is.

Thanks for suggesting it.. :raz:

On a recent trip to Belize I tried Marie Sharp's (famous for their hot sauce) banana jam. It was incredible on pancakes or biscuits - flavorful but not overly sweet. Don't know any recipes but it's worth considering - doesn't seem like it would be to tough to make.

On a recent trip to Belize I tried Marie Sharp's (famous for their hot sauce) banana jam. It was incredible on pancakes or biscuits - flavorful but not overly sweet.  Don't know  any recipes but it's worth considering - doesn't seem like it would be to tough to make.

Banana Jam.. never thought of it.... sounds nice.

Maybe I can make some of SA's banana chutney and try making some jam. :smile:

I'd freeze half for a lowfat snack

How do you make the frozen low fat snack?

Do you puree them? mash them? add anything at all?

Peel them, wrap in plastic and freeze. They're delicious as is, even better if you dip them in melted chocolate and chopped nuts before freezing.

well where to begin

I confess, I don't use freshly ground cardamom powder. I have a somewhat medium-sized glass jar of powder that I bought at a store in Jackson Heights a month or so ago. Kept in a cool, dark place, it lasts for a while although its probably not as good as if it were freshly ground, I suppose.

------------

Banana Chutney

1 ripe banana (or 2 to 3 ripe baby bananas), peeled and cut into chunks

2 T. toasted cumin seeds

2 T. grated coconut

2 to 3 serrano chiles (seeded and deveined if you want)

1/2 c. chopped cilantro

2 T. lemon juice

1 T. date sugar (use either jaggery or brown sugar if date sugar is unavailable; date sugar is really dried dates that have been pulverized, and is considered to be three times as sweet as regular sugar.)

Salt to taste

Grind all the ingredients, using either a mortar and a pestle or a food processor, into a paste. Add 1 t. of cold water every now and then if you want a thinner consistency.

Makes about 1/2 c. banana chutney. Use immediately, or within 1 to 2 days.

SA

On a recent trip to Belize I tried Marie Sharp's (famous for their hot sauce) banana jam. It was incredible on pancakes or biscuits - flavorful but not overly sweet.  Don't know  any recipes but it's worth considering - doesn't seem like it would be to tough to make.

I have a recipe for banana jam at home and I will post it tonight. It is truly delicious and very unusual. It is very easy to make.

On a recent trip to Belize I tried Marie Sharp's (famous for their hot sauce) banana jam. It was incredible on pancakes or biscuits - flavorful but not overly sweet.  Don't know  any recipes but it's worth considering - doesn't seem like it would be to tough to make.

I have a recipe for banana jam at home and I will post it tonight. It is truly delicious and very unusual. It is very easy to make.

Thanks Sandra!

Do you think it can be made with ripe bananas?

Look forward to the recipe and making the jam.

Peel them, wrap in plastic and freeze.  They're delicious as is, even better if you dip them in melted chocolate and chopped nuts before freezing.

Thanks Cathy!

I will try making these. Are these better with ripe or not so ripe bananas?

Also are these what I may have seen in Ben & Jerrys? They have these chocolate covered banana shaped things in their glass encased freezer. Could these be the same thing?

These sound very nice.