• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mistral or the Herb Farm

I haven't eaten at The Herbfarm, but I'm willing to guess the evening will be more romantic at Mistral. (I've heard about the teaching aspect of Herbfarm, and I think that would make for a great evening, but not the most intimate experience on an anniversary.)

In our particular case, the food counts for more than the atmosphere. We're already bracing ourselves for the need to dress like grownups...

--Dave

Without knowing more about what you are looking for in a dining experience, it's hard to say. I've eaten at both and they're very different.

Think of dining at The Herbfarm as a performance. Basically you are dining with a group of people eating the same thing on the same schedule. There will be breaks for introductions (the "dog and pony show") and to stretch your legs. The service is good and the food can be great. I'm not a fan of the frou frou decor of the dining room and the dog and pony show to be unbearable.

I've had one stellar meal at Mistral and one so-so meal at Mistral. Both times the service was iffy and one time bordered on rude. But, if I were to pick one place over the other, it'd have to be Mistral.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I've had one stellar meal at Mistral and one so-so meal at Mistral. Both times the service was iffy and one time bordered on rude. But, if I were to pick one place over the other, it'd have to be Mistral.

Interesting. Why? I'd hate to go out for a special occasion for so-so food and rude service.

The OTT decor, the dog and pony show and the banquet feel to the experience at The Herbfarm are deal breakers for me. I think the chances of getting a good meal are better at Mistral. And I've heard that some of the offending servers are no longer there. Again if I had to pick between only Mistral and The Herbfarm.

Edited by LEdlund (log)

I haven't eaten at Mistral but have been to the Herbfarm. I don't think the decor and ambiance are at all romantic but staying at the Willows Lodge was!! We enjoyed our dinner at Herbfarm quite a bit but I agree with LEdlund about the country kitsch decor.............

I'm still very much a Rover's fan. We did go to the Herbfarm for an anniversary dinner a couple of years ago. It felt like Knott's Berry Farm. The romance left when the original restaurant burned down. (They couldn't even spell "anniversary" correctly on the little card they made for us.) The room was noisy and we really didn't like the not-so-gentle reminders to visit the gift shop!

And after all of that, the food wasn't all that memorable either...

It felt like Knott's Berry Farm.

What a great description of The Herbfarm :biggrin:

For a 15th Anniversary meal featuring a Seattle Tasting Menu.... I would call Crush, Union or Veil and see what they could put together for me.

I am a huge fan of the Le Gourmand tasting menu and accompanying wines. Rovers is great as well but the room and service at Le Gourmand just reek of romance.

Steve

It felt like Knott's Berry Farm.

What a great description of The Herbfarm :biggrin:

For a 15th Anniversary meal featuring a Seattle Tasting Menu.... I would call Crush, Union or Veil and see what they could put together for me.

I'll be the dissenter here (but I am always the dissenter when eG talks about the HerbFarm) but if you are serious cooks, as opposed to only beng serious diners, you should definitely consider the HerbFarm. The food is inspiring if you cook and damned good even if you don't.

Tell them it is your anniversary and ask for a table that fits the two of you. For us, that has meant a couple of times close to the kitchen, so I could watch, and once by the guitarist, so someoneElse could watch. If you are feeling flush, book one of the HF suites next door, arrange a tour of the good wine cellar (and see "corkscrew guy") and select a bottle to have waiting in your room. See corkscrew guy in any case.

btw, for a web site where most of you like the trendy "must put on goggles before entering my kitchen because of the lasers" kind of place, you really should shush about the amusement park references, ya know. Because lasers and foam is pretty darned Disneyland in many people's book. :shock::hmmm::laugh:

PM me if you want more info about the HerbFarm from someone who actually likes the place.

PM me if you want more info about the HerbFarm from someone who actually likes the place.

Weeelllll! Since kitchenmage stepped out on the proverbial limb to defend the Herbfarm, I guess I don't have to be the first.

I love Jerry Traunfeld's cooking. I've had food there that still lives in my mind and on my taste buds. Tell them it's a very special occassion, and book a room next door. I think you'll be quite pleased.

Born Free, Now Expensive

I love Traunfeld's cooking too. And I'm a serious cook as well. Which is why it was so hard to take all of the "entertainment" at the Herbfarm. It is nothing like the original.

Keep in mind that the original poster is looking for a great place for an important -- and romantic -- dinner. I find the current Herbfarm dining experience lacking in both areas. Your opinions may differ. I've been to Le Gourmand for an anniversary dinner as well and the entire evening is much more magical there (and Bruce and Sara Naftaly's food is right up there with the best in the city).

Believe me, I wanted to like the Herbfarm much more than I actually did.

FWIW, I found Union to be the most forgettable restaurant I've been to in Seattle. Literally: I cannot remember a single dish that we had, which is not normal.

My favorite so far has been Veil, despite their cold decor. Wasn't a single dud among our plates, the salted peanut butter ice cream lived up to the hype, and one dish was so good the person who ordered it firmly refused to share.

If the folks at Veil could be convinced to change their decor, it could be one of the most prominent restaurants in this town.

Now...all that said, I'd throw in a nod to Tilth: Simple, warm decor, and wonderful, original food.

The Herbfarm would be by far the most romantic, delicious, memorable experience in your list. The speeches are relatively short and somewhat interesting for a first-timer, though a bit tedious on repeat visits. The rest of the evening, both food and atmosphere, are unlike anything else in the PNW. With an overnight at Willows Lodge you're really talking memorable, but even without it, The Herbfarm should be your choice.

Mistral has excellent food, but I think the Herbfarm is better and more interesting. And Mistral has a sterile atmosphere. Union has fine but unmemorable food. I'd take Rover's, Campagne, or Crush over either of those.

I wonder if Lark would give you a curtained off table for two.

I think my first meal there (the day they opened as it happened) may have been my most memorable. I bet John could pull off a great special dinner.

Lampreia is also a great special occassion place, but there is something a little off about the whole experience. Dated, though with whiffs of brilliance.

• 2 weeks later...

We've just returned from dinner at Union.

Now, you may ask, "why, on the night of your anniversary, are you online"?

After six days without power (it was restored last night), and with Internet access missing until sometime this afternoon, well, we'll be wallowing in our online access for a bit.

This was one of the finest meals I've ever had, on par with (or a bit better than, it's hard to be fair since it has been a few years) a dinner I and some friends had at Restaurant Gary Danko.

The initial six courses were selected by the chef, which made it things even more interesting, since we didn't know what was coming.

The first course was the finest oysters I've ever had. I'm not sure I can do them justice, so I won't try. However, don't order them for anyone who thinks the proper way to eat an oyster is to suck that thing straight down. It would be a nearly criminal waste.

The second course was a wonderful beef tartare, with pumpernickel rounds.

The third course was mussels (amazingly large, sweet, and meltingly tender) with braised leeks, butter, and saffron.

The fourth course was sea scallops, served with ham hocks and lentils. Cooked perfectly, and not a combination I'd have thought of. Admittedly, that may be because I, as a rule, hate lentils. The fact that they worked for me in this dish is saying something.

The fifth course was muscovy duck, with a port wine reduction, and vegetables. Absolutely delightful, and my second favorite dish (after the oysters) of the evening.

The sixth course was the Pave d'Affinois cheese plate. I have a weakness for cheese (my initial response to the approaching wind storm that kept us without power for six days was to stock up on cheese, crackers, bread, and wine. This would have worked for a normal storm, but was insufficient after a few days).

Finally, we also ordered a Butterscotch Creme Brulee to split.

An absolutely wonderful anniversary dinner, especially welcome after spending nearly a week without power.