• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine service at Robuchon

JohnL

I understand that Robuchon in the Four seasons has an interesting wine list.

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts etc.

also--I am planning a lunch there soon and my group

(three or four of us) usually bring our own wine when we dine together--always

interesting and/or usually pretty high end bottles.

Does anyone have knowledge of the corkage fee and policy at Robuchon?

Thanks!!!

:smile:

I actually thought the wine list was fairly uninteresting, and highly priced.

I have no knowledge, but I can't but think that the corkage fee would be through the ceiling.  But that's a completely uninformed comment.

Thanks--to elaborate a bit:

I was hoping to get some info and perspective before I call em.

we usually are willing to fork over fifty bucks a bottle maximum (grudgingly though)

in a high end establishment--this is Manhattan.

I don't know where I got the notion that they had an interesting list--one would think they would though given the nature of the cooking/menu so I am a bit suprised at your comment.

I gotta go peruse the thread about Robuchon here at eG.

That's why it was so glaring. You'd think they'd have this really interesting, deep list. And I just didn't think they did.

I don't know how many of you there are, but let's face it, there's NOPLACE where you can't find a good bottle for $150-$200 (double negative). So maybe you don't have to worry about it so much.

I went with a group of friends to eat at l'Atelier here in Hong Kong - my friend had booked a table for us and another table for her parents. Both our groups had extremely nice bottles of wine that were almost certainly not on the list (I didn't check). Both groups were willing to buy other bottles of wine and offered to pay corkage - but they wouldn't let us open our bottles; the sommelier said it was policy of all the Ateliers not to allow outside wine. Not sure if he was feeding us a line or if it's the same in New York.

• 1 month later...
the list is uninteresting because they appear to have simply inherited the wine from the previous FS restaurant.

That's an interesting thought.

One would hope that for food as interesting and inventive as that served at Robuchon

an enterprising sommelier would design a wine list that was also inventive and interesting.

Unfortunately, I can't access the list on line--so until I actually peruse it I can't comment.

Most of the comments on line seem to indicate it is quite pedestrian and expensive.

The main reason that we are interested in BYO is not price or quality.

My group is mostly in the wine business and we enjoy sharing our bottles.

Anyway--I will report back after our lunch! (if anyone :smile: cares).