• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

holiday food orders to benefit Katrina victims

squids

Today's Washington Post has an article that lists a few places to order items "in a small effort to help the mom-and-pop foodmakers who are still suffering more than a year after Hurricane Katrina"

Mayhaw Man runs a website that showcases some of these vendors. Please post additional links and phone numbers if you have them...I am looking to send mailorder to family, and thought others may be interested in the same. Thanks!

Today's Washington Post has an article that lists a few places to order items "in a small effort to help the mom-and-pop foodmakers who are still suffering more than a year after Hurricane Katrina"

Mayhaw Man runs a website that showcases some of these vendors.  Please post additional links and phone numbers if you have them...I am looking to send mailorder to family, and thought others may be interested in the same. Thanks!

Cafe du Monde Beignet mix & coffee always make for a nice gift. The company was hit hard, but it is recovering. They served them hot at the James Beard Awards this year, and they were fan-freakin'-tastic. I figure if the Marriott catering staff can make them in bulk and not screw them up, the mix must be pretty fool-proof.

Cafe Du Monde Mail Order

Edited by lizard (log)

Thanks for the response. I have seen a few gift baskets in my web searches that contained the mix or coffee, but hadn't thought to go to the actual website! I must say I am a bit surprised, though, that there haven't been more suggestions. I would think that this would be a good way to support the economy of the area?

Here are some suggestions that I listed in OffBeat:

Know someone missing a taste of New Orleans? Can’t be in the Crescent City for Christmas? Order a few sweet or salty delights. Hubig’s Pies sells fried pies by the dozen and T-Shirts with its portly pie man. Pralines by Jean ships three flavors of pralines, and Southern Candy Makers creates everything from fudge to spiced nuts. Tee-Eva’s (tee-evapralines.com) can ship pralines, pies, or an entire feast of red beans and jambalaya. Central Grocery (866-620-0174) sends out muffulettas and olive salad. The Gumbo Shop puts together a gift basket with their cookbook, a seasoning mix and hot sauce. Both Zatarain’s and Pure Cajun have plenty of ingredients for making a Louisiana meal. For Christmas delivery, most places need to receive orders by the second week of December.

Except for Zatarain's, all are local.

Brocato's may be doing mail order. That hadn't decided when I last spoke to them.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Southern Candy Makers creates everything from fudge to spiced nuts
including, IMO, the best pralines in the French Quarter.

Everything I've tried there is top quality.

Thanks for chiming in--I actually just placed an order there, and they couldn't have been nicer. (and I found out afterwards that my boss also recommends this place--she has 2 daughters that went to school in NOLA--and one of them is still at school and living in NOLA currently.)

That Post article above mentions Roman Candy. He has gotten a zillion orders out of that piece as, apparently, many people consider it to be kind of an iconic snack. It's funny how many of the orders have been placed by people that I can only assume are expats-they're pretty easy to spot, what with names like Comeaux, Sheixneider, Landry, Landrieu, etc. ya gotta figure that they are from here some way or another.

The stuff is good, it's really inexpensive, and fits easily into any sized stocking. Also, it's really made in the back of a horse drawn wagon (it's the only place that Ron CAN make it), and that makes it better. The horse drawn wagon flavor goodness comes out in every filling destroying bite.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...