• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a source for Irish food products

Hi,

I have just received a wonderful looking cookbook called, The Irish Pub Cookbook.

I live in Victoria but am sometimes in Vancouver . I am looking for a store that carries Irish cheeses and butter etc.

Does anyone have a source for products like these?

Thanks.

Edited by kimabima (log)

Not sure about victoria, but I know that Les Amis de Fromage carries a few Irish Cheeses. Also, there is a butcher in N.Van has some British food products (maybe some Irish thrown in there.) Any particular cheese you are looking for?

< Linda >

Hi Kimabima,

I use a lot of Irish goods in my businesses, but mostly as menu items.

That said, I could sell small amounts to you if you are interested.

For cheese, I currently have St Gall, Gubbeens, Cashel Blue & Dubliner.

You can get details on these items at http://www.nealsyarddairy.co.uk/thecheeses.html

KerryGold is the most famous and best Irish butter produced, however I have never seen it in BC....if you find it let me know.

Cheers,

Sean Heather

MAY THE WIND AT YOUR BACK ALWAYS BE YOUR OWN, MAY THE ROAD RISE TO MEET YOU AND SPLIT YOUR FOREHEAD AND IF YOU COULD SHITE WALKING YOU'D BE A HORSE OF A MAN

Funny sig line, sean.

What do you want to make? Is it specifically a cheese thing, or have you a yearning for tayto crisps (potato chips) and dennys rashers (bacon)? ok ok, you're not an Irish expat searching for the... finer tastes of home...

If there's anything non-perishable, I might be able to put together a care package! (this offer has a short shelf-life, though, I'm making the traditional irish move to london in January)

Thank you all for the replies.

It was Kerry Gold butter that I was looking for. It is used in every recipe in this sumptious looking book.

If you like Irish or pub style food I highly recommend you take a look at the book, The Irish Pub Cookbook, byMargaret Johnson. Fabulous photos, easy to make recipes and interesting descriptions of famous pubs around Ireland.

The bread recipes call for coarse flour with Odlum or Howrad's brand being recommended. I don't imagine one can find that in around these parts?

As far as cheese go I think I maybe able to find some in Thrifty's and perhaps a deli or two in Victoria.

Sean, are you in Victoria?

I will be in London in February- does cheese travel well?

Edited by kimabima (log)

I will be in London in February- does cheese travel well?

If you are in London (U.K.?) the Borough Market is chock a block full of Irish cheeses and breads.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Kerry Gold butter can be found across the border. Try Hagens in Bellingham. I see it there sometimes. You won't (shouldn't) find it in Canada, as I am of the understanding that there is not supposed to be imported butter allowed, so as to protect the sale of domestically made product. That is why you don't ever find French butter here.

You won't (shouldn't) find it in Canada, as I am of the understanding that there is not supposed to be imported butter allowed, so as to protect the sale of domestically made product.  That is why you don't ever find French butter here.

I thought this too, but I saw Italian butter for sale on Granville Island a few weeks ago. It was about $15 for half a pound, I think.

Cheers,

Anne

Yes hard cheese does, especially if it is vacuum packed.  Hard cheese should cause you no problems with customs. 

Check with customs. Canada has dairy quotas - I once paid $4/quart in duties for some whipping cream from the US.

You won't (shouldn't) find it in Canada, as I am of the understanding that there is not supposed to be imported butter allowed, so as to protect the sale of domestically made product.  That is why you don't ever find French butter here.

I thought this too, but I saw Italian butter for sale on Granville Island a few weeks ago. It was about $15 for half a pound, I think.

Sometimes things pass customs unnoticed. Otherwise you would see all kinds of imported butter everywhere.

Yes hard cheese does, especially if it is vacuum packed.  Hard cheese should cause you no problems with customs. 

Check with customs. Canada has dairy quotas - I once paid $4/quart in duties for some whipping cream from the US.

Good point. I wasn't really thinking of duties, more about whether it would be allowed in or not.

Importations of dairy products that are readily identifiable as originating in the USA not exceeding $20.00 in value and 20 kg in weight (per person), are exempt from all government department requirements outlined in this section.
Non-commercial importations of dairy products originating from any country other than the USA not exceeding $20.00 in value and 20 kg in weight (per person), must meet the requirements of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency's Animal Health and Production Division (AHPD), but are exempt from all other requirements outlined in this section.
Importers should note that quantities in excess of $20.00 may be subject to high rates of duty.

This information from: Canadian Border Services Agency

In my experience, they ask you if the cheese is hard, if it is no problem, if it isn't you may get a whole bunch of questions.

Cheers,

Anne

Hi

I've just returned to Vancouver after 18 years in London.

Sorry to be a bit of a party pooper, but Kerrygold is a bog standard, mass produced butter, as is Lurpak. I wouldn't bother seeking it out.

Unfortunatley my limited experience so far of (West) Vancouver is (i) very limited choice of organic and small scale production produce and (ii) prices that are higher than London. I just don't know how anyone can aford to live in Vancouver.

Having said that I think I might start up a Vancouver version of Waitrose.

There are many gastro pub cook books on the market if you are interested, although most of them are British.

Hi

I've just returned to Vancouver after 18 years in London.

Sorry to be a bit of a party pooper, but Kerrygold is a bog standard, mass produced butter, as is Lurpak.  I wouldn't bother seeking it out.

Unfortunatley my limited experience so far of (West) Vancouver is (i) very limited choice of organic and small scale production produce and (ii) prices that are higher than London.  I just don't know how anyone can aford to live in Vancouver.

Having said that I think I might start up a Vancouver version of Waitrose.

There are many gastro pub cook books on the market if you are interested, although most of them are British.

Mark, I'll work for you if you set up a Vancouver Waitrose knock-off.

Cheers,

Stephen :smile:

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I think Monoprix are on a par if not better than Waitrose. I like Capers tho', they have a good local emphasis(tho' that's difficult to tell at this time of the year) & fairly sustainable practices(moreso if you consider SPUD's ecological footprint approach). A more discerning customer that demands better choices & then supports it with their wallet will ensure improvements. Afterall the UK & pretty well much everywhere else benefits/or not from the weight of it's history(which Canada lacks,no offence intended). I should mention something about Irish ingredients, in Chile i saw tons of Irish butter ,that was a result of infamous CAP policies, on the shelves of supermarkets for really cheap prices. A country with all the capabilities of Canada should be able to produce decent butter.

I think Monoprix are on a par if not better than Waitrose. I like Capers tho', they have a good local emphasis(tho' that's difficult to tell at this time of the year) & fairly sustainable practices(moreso if you consider SPUD's ecological footprint approach). A more discerning customer that demands better choices & then supports it with their wallet will ensure improvements. Afterall the UK & pretty well much everywhere else benefits/or not from the weight of it's history(which Canada lacks,no offence intended). I should mention something about Irish ingredients, in Chile i saw tons of Irish butter ,that was a result of infamous CAP policies, on the shelves of supermarkets for really cheap prices. A country with all the capabilities of Canada should be able to produce decent butter.

Monoprix is very nice; Helen and I shop at their Nice location when in France. A better wine shop selection than Waitrose although the Waitrose at Canary Wharf is a sight to behold. Mark....we are waiting for your Waitrose knock off in Vancouver :smile: I'm not impressed with Capers or Whole Foods. I'm not sure of this fascination with Irish butter. It's alot less tasty than butter from Australia, the U.K. or France.

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

MY BLOG