• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raleigh man on Iron Chef

debbiemoose

Walter did great! He was so calm compared to alot of contestants. I missed the start so I am not sure why the little kid as a sous, but I assume it was for a good cause of some sorts.

Venison was a good choice compared to some of the recent battles.

Yep, the theme was ostrich. I wasn't too excited about Chef Royal's dishes to be honest (burgers and satay seemed rather boring to me somehow and his plating wasn't terribly creative either imho) but all the judges seemed really impressed with the way everything tasted.

I loved the idea of him mentoring a 12-year old. I don;t know how common this is but I was so impressed that he brought him along that i ended up rooting for him just for that.

Bryan, I'd love to read the article. Can you post a link?

-w@w

I think Alton Brown summed it up when he said(on Royal), "it wouldn't suprise me, given this chefs history, for them to just make ostrich burgers". Wow cant say Im suprised with the show, Royal clearly hasn't touched a knife or pan in years. (LOL if i hadnt predicted the result) Geez I cant think of anyone more deserving of a spot on Iron Chef, hahahha, aside from that he actually beat kora who ccooks on the regular...

Edited by ChefSwartz (log)

The complexity of flavor is a token of durable appreciation. Each Time you taste it, each time it's a different story, but each time it's not so different." Paul Verlaine