• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef Tenderloin Cubes

Lori in PA

Tenderloin is pretty flavorless to begin with, I'd go with a really flavorful preparation for it. My first choice would be Vietnamese shaking beef (bo luc lac) - marinate the meat in some fish sauce, garlic, salt, oil, and a pinch of sugar while it comes up to room temp (half an hour or an hour). Mix some slices of red onion, vinegar, soy sauce, salt, and pepper and set them aside. Cook the meat in a hot pan, toss the onions with some watercress and serve the meat on top. Make a dipping sauce with lime juice, salt, and black pepper mixed together.

We make a dish we call beef genovese. Cook off some rigatoni. While the pasta is cooking, cut several onions into 1/8ths. Season the beef with salt and pepper and let sit a bit. Saute the onion in a good bit of olive oil till tender and broken apart. You're not looking for totally limp. Remove the onions from the heat, and saute the beef in the same pan over relatively high heat. You're looking to put a bit of a crust on the beef while keeping it relatively rare inside. When the meat is done, remove the beef from the pan, and return the onions to the pan. Deglaze the pan with white wine. (sometimes if I want more "sauce" I'll add some chicken or better yet, veal stock). Add the cooked rigatoni to the pan, and toss to mix, adding in any juices that collect around the beef. Adjust seasonings; I like a good bit of coarsely ground black pepper. Plate the rigatoni, and top with the beef. Use a vegetable peeler to sliver a good quality hard cheese over the beef.