• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Traditional French Desserts

SweetSide

(also posted in the France forum)

My daughter is having a party in her French class at school and I need to prepare a dessert for the class that would traditionally be served in France during the Christmas season. However, the Buche de Noel has already been "taken" by another student, so that one is out.

As for other things, while I can name and prepare a long list of French pastries, I haven't a clue as to what would be most popular during the Christmas season.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

A Paris-Brest would be a great idea! Your daughter could learn the story behind its creation and tell it to the class too!

Short version of the story - It was a dessert that was created on a train that went from Paris to Brest for some important individuals... royalty maybe, not remembering right now... and the chef came up with this creation and it was named the Paris-Brest because that's where the train was going. I tried to search for a better version of the story and the only thing I came up with is that it was created in honour of the Paris-Brest-Paris race, which is not correct.

Other items are the St. Honoré dessert, Croquembouche or Macarons. Good luck!

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

(also posted in the France forum)

Here is the thread in the French forum: click

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thanks for all your suggestions! It's tough to choose, but in the France forum, the idea of the Galette de Rois (Kings cake) was also mentioned and struck a chord with me. I love the idea of the little feve in the cake for the kids to find. And, it is definately a very seasonal cake.

Funny how we don't celebrate the Epiphany here in the US, but I did make one of these in pastry school and loved it.

Thanks for the other ideas -- if my daughter nixes this one (better not!) at least I have others to choose from.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

You (and especially the kids in your daughter's French class) should know that a very, very, very French dessert is Pain Perdu , which is nothing more than what we know as French Toast, and although it's served here for breakfast, it's only served in France as a dessert. And at Christmas time, they make it with the flavorings of pain d'epices (spice bread), which is nothing more than those spices sprinkled over it. It's a most traditional, and most delicious dessert, and might also be a great lesson in French culture for the kids:

gallery_11181_3830_1225.jpg

I've spent many a Christmas season in France! (Although I don't have too many memories of being all too conscious at the end of a French Christmas-Week Dinner, this being a combination of the foods and the wine.)

(The above version was served at the restaurant A l'Arbre Vert, in the village of Ammerschwir, in the Alsace region, where they take Christmas eats especially seriously.)

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's