• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best baking treats as holiday presents

viann

I usually make up baskets of homemade goodies as gifts for teachers, DH's coworkers, negihbours, etc. I typically fill them with some assorted cookies (shortbread, almond crescents, gingerbread, etc.), homemade marshmallows, and usually a little cake of some sort. This year I'm making baby rum cakes - last year it was brandied cherry cake.

Breads like challah or brioche, wrapped up with some local honey or homemade jam, would make a lovely gift. Good quality cocoa mix with a couple of flavours of homemade marshmallows would be nice, too - the options are pretty endless!!

Quickbreads, like apple or cinnamon cakes, are good to make - they tend to keep very well, improve in flavour over a couple of days, and freeze well too (if needed).

Rugelahs, fig cookies (fig newtons), shortbreads and mini pecan pies.

I am in search of a solid spiced nuts recipe. Can anyone help?

Hi, I do a very simple one. I egg white per 500gms nuts, 2 teaspoons of ginger powder and a tablespoon of cinnamon, 1 cup of caster sugar to 500gms of mixed nuts. I used cashew, peacan and macadamia. Bake in a very slow oven 140d F. for about two and a half hours and turn the nuts a few times during the baking process.

Everyone loves this recipe and I have been nicknamed Mrs Nuts!

West Indian black cake -- started this last year and now there are those that expect it. Going to spring it on a new boss this year, who is from the West Indies, and I can't wait to see his face . . .

Gingerbread tiles made with a spekulaas mold of Santa Claus.

Orange and ginger florentines.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I have a spiced nuts recommendation - my father-in-law raved about the "Warm-Spiced Pecans with Rum Glaze" from Cook's Illustrated (it's in the New Best Recipe book, and probably online somewhere). He made them for Thanksgiving and said they were delicious - and the first thing gone from the pre-meal snacks :biggrin:

I like giving a good spicy gingerbread (the Guiness recipe is my current favorite) in mini-loaves or mini-bundt shapes, along with a couple of sauces - lemon curd is a favorite, and some people like it with chocolate...