• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Park Slope

Pumpkin Lover

I've only been out there a handful of times; I'm seeing a show this Friday around 8 and I need a place to eat. I know about Applewood, Blue Ribbon, Al Di La, la-di-da -- any cool, small, relatively new places I should check out when I'm out there? I'm thinking an early dinner, probs around 5:30.

Can't really help you on any new or undiscovered places -- but I tremendously enjoy Blue Ribbon. Haven't been there for a while but I am really wanting to go back there.

Eric

"Undiscovered" is difficult. For a discovered, but not on your list, place (or should I say DISCOVERED!!!!!!), I recommend Franny's (Flatbush & Prospect Ave), since you can actually be there at a civilized hour and maybe get and hold a table for a while. Franny's isn't very big, it's certainly cool, and the food and drink are of mighty high quality.

For actually in Park Slope, I quite like Moutarde (the bistro across the street from Al Di La). Long Tan (5th Ave. & Union) looks like a generic, boring Pan-Asian place, but is IMHO shockingly tasty, especially if you go with the specials.

[EDIT: Cafe Steinhof, on 7th Ave & 14th St., is nice for local flavor. The food is not to my taste, but those friends with more of a liking for heavy Mittel-Europeen (in this case Austrian) food find it quite tasty. The beer and wine are of excellent quality as well.]

Edited by Mayur (log)
Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

My local favorites are Rosewater, Applewood and Blue Ribbon on the upper end of the scale, Toto and Steinhoff for the mid range stuff and Tacos Nuevo Mexico for awesome 1 buck goat tacos.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

My local favorites are Rosewater, Applewood and Blue Ribbon on the upper end of the scale, Toto and Steinhoff for the mid range stuff and Tacos Nuevo Mexico for awesome 1 buck goat tacos.

Seconded on Tacos Nuevo Mexico.

Applewood, really? Why does everyone like that place so much?

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

Here is the dinner menu of Cafe Steinhof: click

They're open for dinner at 5:00 and have a late night menu from 11-1:00 am.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"