• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese Ingredients in Non Japanese Recipes

GlorifiedRice

Furikake on popcorn! Genius. I'd never heard of that, so thanks for sharing. Jason, just wondering though: how do you get the furikake to stick to the popcorn? At what stage of popping do you add it?

Sesame oil is another great idea. Popcorn just takes a few minutes to pop-- do you really think the flavour would disappear in such a short time?

Totally off-topic, but here is our nifty popcorn maker in action. Bought in Japan from an online outdoor goods shop (I can't imagine lugging this contraption along for a camping trip though).

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

Totally off-topic, but here is our nifty popcorn maker in action. Bought in Japan from an online outdoor goods shop (I can't imagine lugging this contraption along for a camping trip though).

I have a similar one that I brought all the way from Canada! I ruined the pot part, though, and haven't been able to use it since.

Which online place did you get it from? I was going to get another one when I'm home at Christmas, but if the price is right, maybe I can just the same one you have!

Furikake on popcorn! Genius. I'd never heard of that, so thanks for sharing. Jason, just wondering though: how do you get the furikake to stick to the popcorn? At what stage of popping do you add it?

I have the ground up furikake ready to toss with the popcorn the instant I've dumped the popcorn in a bowl, and shake vigorously. Sometimes I melt bit of butter in the hot pan and shake the popcorn while drizzling that on, but I'm more likely to do that with truffle salt.

The popcorn must have some fat coating it in order to have any prayer of the furikake sticking, though no matter what, some always seems to settle to the bottom of the bowl.

Sesame oil is another great idea. Popcorn just takes a few minutes to pop-- do you really think the flavour would disappear in such a short time?

I think the sesame oil will burn without added high smoke point oils. The good part of the sesame oil flavor would be overpowered by that. Though I have added some sesame oil at the very end of popping.

Edited by JasonTrue (log)

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

My wife uses miso in a risotto and serves it with grilled mackeal

Furikake in fried rice.Salted kobu in fried rice.

Nori and or furikake in wafu spaghetti are also some of her specialties.

She use her home made pickles ginger in various things especially salads

All very oishii.

There's this Japanese show that I watch here called Fit for the King, and most of their recipes are incorporating Japanese ingredients into western foods. One example that I remember off the top of my head was some sort of pink colored shrimp (starlight shrimp? I forgot the name) was used as the filling and part of the batter for crepes.

My mom encouraged me to use miso with a bit of soy sauce as substitute for soy bean paste for Chinese cooking if I wasn't able to find bean paste here.

Pot-cooked baked beans - hiden-mame are an extra-big greenish dried soybean, perfect for long cooking (though they lose their green color). Cooked on "okayu" setting in the rice cooker, they come out tender but whole.

A teaspoon each of pickling salt and black sugar was rubbed into one of those strips of pork belly you can get in Japanese supermarkets, and the meat left overnight before being fried in a bare pan until the fat ran, then sliced and fried again till crisp. Meat removed and added to beans in rice cooker.

Plenty of onions cooked slowly in the pork fat, then added to the rice cooker and allowed to cool a little (because hot ingredients upset the rice cooker sensors), then the whole thing cooked again on okayu setting with an additional small amount of salt.

Transferred to a skillet and cooked slowly to evaporate liquid, with chopped daikon leaves added in the last 30 minutes. The small amount of sugar rubbed into the pork is enough to leave a faint sweetness in the dish.

Served with herbed polenta, grilled...but a millet polenta would have worked well too. Everybody in the family enjoyed this, luckily for me!

Helen, that sounds delicious! I was drooling on the keyboard at the description of the pork...

I don't have much to add but at a party once my friend made a shrimp cocktail sauce with just ketchup and wasabi that was really good.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"