• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sufganyiot 2006

Swisskaese

Tapenade and I made our annual Hannukah pilgramage to Roladin Bakery for their designer sufganyiot.

gallery_8006_298_49908.jpg

We got the following:

gallery_8006_298_39411.jpg

Left to Right:

Creme Patissiere - Filled with vanilla pastry cream and coated with white chocolate and Chinese pecans.

Forest Fruits - Filled with pastry cream, forest fruits, creme de cassis and white chocolate. Coated with white chocolate and a pink macaroon.

gallery_8006_298_171340.jpg

Left to Right:

Havana - Filled with milk chocolate ganache, coconut milk and espresso. Coated with bitter chocolate ganache and toasted coconut.

Jamaica - Filled with bitter chocolate ganache and dark rum. Coated with bitter choclate and hazelnut croquante.

Chag Hannukah Sameach! Happy Hannukah!

Thanks for the photos; those look and sound delcious!

I bet your homemade ones tasted delcious too. I can't remember if I asked you this before, but do the basic sufganyiot sometimes have rum and lemon zest in the batter like Austrian Faschingkrapfen typically do?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thanks for the photos; those look and sound delcious! 

I bet your homemade ones tasted delcious too.  I can't remember if I asked you this before, but do the basic sufganyiot sometimes have rum and lemon zest in the batter like Austrian Faschingkrapfen typically do?

No they don't. They are usually plain. I really like the Austrian Faschingkrapfen. I have a recipe for them, but I have never made them. I will have to remember to make some next year.

Swisskaese, Hi.....

Yesterday, would you believe after lunch at Tel Aviv's Messa Restaurant, I decided to stroll home instead of taking my usual taxi. I walked past Roladin. I got about 30 meters away, turned around, went back, stood at the counter on Ibn Gvirol street and with not an iota of guilt devoured two chocolate coated soofganiot, those filled with a lovely custard filling. That, I will comfortably admit, was the best 13 Shekels (about US$3.00) that I've spent in many a moon.

Wow. Those sufganiyot look fabulous. I'm tempted to lick the computer screen.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Can anyone comment on how easy it is to find sufganyiot in NYC this time of year? Are there an amazing variety of flavors available as well?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

We ate our Roladin soufganyiot over a two-day period and they were delicious.

I had the Forest Fruits and Havana. The forest fruits was filled with a very berry pastry cream that was creamy and had a hint of creme de casis. The white chocolate did not overpower the pastry cream and the white chocolate covering was not too sweet.

The Havana had a nice chocolatey, coconutty, creamy filling with a hint of coffee.

Today, I read an article in our local weekend magazine describing some of the local ethnic restaurants that were serving ethnic "soufganyiot". Actually it is an article about ethnic desserts that are similar, and I use the term loosely, to soufganyiot.

Ethiopian soufganyiot - A whole wheat yeast dough that is formed in rounds and panfried. They are served with honey.

Moroccan Sfenj - Which I made above. A local restaurant is serving them with chocolate, vanilla and caramel dipping sauces.

Japanese soufganyiot - Tempura'd lychees

A local bakery is also selling matcha soufganyiot. They are soufganyiot filled with matcha pastry cream.

Chinese soufganyiot - Steamed dumplings filled with a date and nut filling.

Thai soufganyiot - Pa tong ko, yeast batter fried in the shape of fingers with or without a sweet sauce

Spanish soufganyiot - Churros with a chocolate dipping sauce

French soufganyiot - Beignets filled with vanilla cream and forest fruits.

Turkish soufganyiot - Deep fried bagels sprinkled with powdered sugar

Greek soufganyiot - Lokumades with a honey, vanilla and cinnamon sauce

I can't remember if I asked you this before, but do the basic sufganyiot sometimes have rum and lemon zest in the batter like Austrian Faschingkrapfen typically do?

I can't speak for most Israeli sufganiyot, and my recipe doesn't call for any, but if you do a search on sufganiyot recipes many of them call for some alcohol (not necessarily rum) in the dough.

I didn't have any time to make any this week - I sure wish I could get some of the 'designer' ones here that you've shown us Michelle! I'll try to make some later this week... dulce de leche filling with a chocolate glaze sounds very appealing at the moment...

PS: I would think that most Jewish bakeries in NY would have them this week.

Can anyone comment on how easy it is to find sufganyiot in NYC this time of year?  Are there an amazing variety of flavors available as well?

I got a sufganiyah (?) at Moishe's on 2nd Av. near 7th St. I think it may have been the first time they made them. I don't have a basis for comparison to other sufganiyot, but I liked it.

Michael aka "Pan"

Can anyone comment on how easy it is to find sufganyiot in NYC this time of year?  Are there an amazing variety of flavors available as well?

All the kosher stores carry them but I always find them to be disappointing. For a sufganiya to be really good it has to be eaten still warm. Once they cool they become kind of leaden.

It's possible that in parts of Brooklyn they doing designer sufganiyot, but they haven't it made it into Manhattan. But then, we have a paucity of kosher bakeries.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs