• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-Spicy (hot) Thai in Thailand

I'm going to be spending about 10 days in Thailand this February. Bangkok, for sure, and probably Chiang Mai and Phuket. Normally spicy hot food would be a plus, not an issue. But I'm on a medication that makes my mouth hyper-sensative to peppers or any other source of heat. Example - I've had to go from aged provolone to ho-hum provolone on hoagies.

My worry is that I will have a hard time dining/eating well in Thailand if I have to eliminate even moderate spicy heat. Is the a valid concern? If not, and I hope the answer is no, what suggestions do you have for ordering mellow Thai Cuisine above and beyond Pad Thai.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Anything garlic-pepper is not usually spicy hot (a little black peppery hot), things like yum pla dook foo (puffy catfish salad??) which have identifiable peppers which can be avoided...I can't remember anything else right now, and I'm late for work! But have no fear. You can do fairly well even if you can't eat very spicy food.

I would definitely go off the meds......

Barring that, many of the fish dishes will be fine, and the mains - the savoury dishes like stir fried whatevers - won't be abusive.

If you get to the farang oriented places (Condoms, Baan Khanitha, etc) they'll be able to work to your needs.

Plus, there's a great selection of European restaurants to work with, but I assume that this is not what you're after on this trip.

So we get back to....ditch the meds.....

The least hot food I had in Thailand was at ethnic Chinese places. We went to a pretty classic Cantonese seafood restaurant in Songkla and a dim sum breakfast spot in NST that were not spicey at all. Things like rice porriage, kway teow and lad nah dishes where you add the chilles yourself should also be manageable (these are usually from stands, not from restaurants). You're not going to get the best eating experience but you won't go completely hungry either.

regards,

trillium

Not being able to eat spicy food in Thailand is a hassle but there are still a lot of really good food options available. The only really good restaurant meal I've had in Thailand that wasn't spicy was at Sara-Jane's in Bangkok, it's a fantastic Issan restaurant. You'll probably be better off eating street food and at the open markets. Eat as much roti as you possibly can - it's best with sweetened condensed milk and a little sugar on top. I ate a lot of whole grilled fish at night markets in the northern part of the country, those are very rarely spicy. You should be able to eat the various grilled meat people are making on the sidewalks in Bangkok. There are also all sorts of incredibly good fried foods (crazy good fried chicken) on the street all over Phuket and elsewhere. If all else fails, drink insane amounts of young coconuts and sugar cane juice - either will do a great job of putting out the fire in your mouth after you eat too much spicy food.

Yes, that's true, the fried chicken is unbelievable, you'll have to check it out and see if it's ok with your mouth, some of it had chillies as part of the marinade. The grilled and deep fried fish is another good option, that came with the chilli relishes on the side. The deep fried pork belly that you can buy as a snack with sticky rice is probably not that spicy either. Many of the snacky things tend to have chillies or a spicy relish served on the side, so you can avoid it if you need to. (But I feel sad that you have to!). Oh, and what we call kueh and what Thais call khanom aren't spicy either, they're steamed rice flour snacks flavored in various ways, mostly all sweet.

If you're up for an adventurous breakfast, have one at the tea stands that set up early on the sidewalks, just make sure you specify that you want your soft boiled eggs separate from the tea. If you're there early enough there will perhaps be khanom, bao, or Chinese crullers to eat with your tea and eggs. Oh, and figure out how to order real coffee instead of nescafe if you're a coffee drinker.

I recommend the Thai Food book published by Lonely Planet. Great eating advice.

regards,

trillium

I am vegetarian, and travel a lot so I am used to avoiding things! My first recommendation is to figure out how to ask in Thai if it has hot peppers in it, then half your battle is won. When I was in Thailand I ate gallons of congee which was part of the breakfast buffet in every hotel I stayed in. it is bland and you get to add what you want. I avoided the shrimp, but you wouldn’t have to! and there is something very very delicious about its bland smoothness and all the crunchy tasty things you add.