• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finding Foie Gras in Chicago

Well, New Year's Eve is coming and we are going to serve foie gras.

We generally get it from Fox and Obel, but they obviously aren't selling it anymore. I called to make sure since restaurants are defying the order, and I was hoping they would be also. The woman politely informed me that it is "banned in the United States." Long pause. My response: "No, not the U.S., but thanks for your help."

Anyhow, does anyone know of any places in the north suburbs that I can buy it? I know I could go online, but I thought I would ask around first.

Thanks in advance.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

Well, New Year's Eve is coming and we are going to serve foie gras. 

We generally get it from Fox and Obel, but they obviously aren't selling it anymore.  I called to make sure since restaurants are defying the order, and I was hoping they would be also.  The woman politely informed me that it is "banned in the United States."  Long pause.  My response: "No, not the U.S., but thanks for your help." 

Anyhow, does anyone know of any places in the north suburbs that I can buy it?  I know I could go online, but I thought I would ask around first.

Thanks in advance.

Urban Harvest, 4 S. Vail St., Arlington Heights, usually stocks it, though it's best to call ahead at (847) 632-0860 to make sure. When I called in August, their price was $38 per half pound. The Treasure Island store at 911 Ridge Road. Wilmette, also usually carries foie gras; it was $43 per pound in August; they also advised calling ahead: 847/256-5033. Sunset Food Mart stores, including 1451 Peterson Road, Libertyville, (847) 573-9570, will special-order, at approximately $50 per pound, with a few days' notice.

I'm assuming you're looking for raw fresh foie. If you want prepared terrines or pates, there are lots of other options.

LAZ

LAZ covered most of the options I know of (Sunset, Treasure Island). I believe that Foodstuffs will also special order it for you. Additionally, I've had success ordering it via the internet from Hudson Valley Foie Gras.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

:cool:

Legally: c'mon up to Foodworks in Evanston, on Central Street, or to Whole Foods at Church and Chicago, where the nice butcher counter will special order for you, if they don't have precisely what you want in the house (well, they did for me last year anyhow...).

Illegally: Go to Sam's.

:raz:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Thanks everyone. I've never seen whole canned lobes...I wasn't really looking though, since we would just go to F&O and have a piece cut for us. How big are they generally? I guess I can call also.

Evanston looks like my best/easiest bet.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

If you are going to prepare it yourself, you can get fresh whole foie gras from Chicago Game & Gourmet on Ogden. You must call first. They only take checks. They are a purveyor to the trade, but will do individual orders.

Fox & Obel are ridiculously uninformed (and snotty) when it comes to the foie gras question. My understanding of the ban in Chicago is that it extends to prepared foie gras served in restaurants. It is still legal to sell raw or cooked foie gras for preparation/presentation and consumption off premises (although obviously not a "to go" order:-) When I tried to enter that discussion with them, they were just plain rude. I had hoped they might be willing to special order, as at the time I was only looking for a slice of raw foie, which I had seen there in the past, rather than a whole foie.

Been to F & O about three times, total, and except for the lunch meeting, where the food was decent but not earthshaking (but best available in the Navy Pier area), I remain completely mystified by the success of this place.

Edited by annieb (log)

Fox & Obel are ridiculously uninformed (and snotty) ....

... I remain completely mystified by the success of this place.

AMEN!

Tim

I think the issue with F&O is that they because they run a store and a restaurant out of the same location, they are being extra cautious in regard to foie gras. Yes, it can be legally sold on a retail basis but they probably have decided to steer completely clear of the entire matter, and not have any of it in house. That policy actually makes sense to me, even though it might alienate a few prospective customers.

I really believe mail order (or internet) is the best way to go in this case because ultimately the mail order supplier is going to be producer from whom the local source orders the foie gras in the first place. Additionally, interstate sales do not incur sales tax and that savings -- plus the fact that the local retailer isn't adding his margin to the sale -- usually ends up covering most of the shipping costs.

=R=

• 2 weeks later...

Gepperth's on Halsted (near Armitage) had fresh foie gras last time I was there, a few weeks ago.

1964 N. Halsted St., Chicago

Tel: (773) 549-3883

As others said above, my understanding is that the ban does not extend to sales of fresh, raw foie gras.

Slight tangent, but did anyone see the Trib article today on the FG scofflaws? I was delighted to see I'd been to most of the restaurants that have received warning letters from the Health Department for serving FG post-ban. :biggrin:

Slight tangent, but did anyone see the Trib article today on the FG scofflaws?  I was delighted to see I'd been to most of the restaurants that have received warning letters from the Health Department for serving FG post-ban.  :biggrin:

It was definitely an interesting article:

When the letter came from City Hall threatening punishment if he continued to serve foie gras at his North Side restaurant, Doug Sohn framed the warning and set it beside his cash register.

And he kept serving the fattened duck liver without a care.

"We displayed it proudly," said Sohn, owner of Hot Doug's, a gourmet sausage eatery where the daily special can include smoked pheasant topped with foie gras chunks. "My customers and myself enjoy foie gras."

Almost four months after an ordinance went into effect that forbids serving the rich delicacy, many chefs and restaurateurs are shrugging, if not thumbing their noses, at a law that has led to charges of an overly invasive City Council.

Let 'em eat foie gras, they declare by Josh Noel

=R=

Grade C livers arrived by DHL today from Hudson Valley. Livers run about a # and are $19.50/# plus shipping.So far the authorities have not busted me. I suggest you follow the same course of action.

BTW the aged Magre Duck Breasts are to die for.-Dick

Let me tip the hat towards a few others I worked with regularly, always a good experience. Both Moulard and Muscovy, Venison America; Muscovy from Grimaud Farms and, through Great Ciao, duck and foie gras from Au Bon Canard/Christian Gasset. Christian is an extraordinary farmer, one who cares deeply that what he does is done properly; and he is a pleasure to work with.

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais