• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

confit jelly

James Satriano

I made duck confit this past weekend and chilled the fat in an upside down mason jar in order to remove the "jelly" before storing the legs in the fat. Is there any good use for this wonderful looking jelly. I made a brown duck stock from the carcasses. Can I add the jelly to this? Should it be frozen and added to sauces or do I pitch it.

I made duck confit this past weekend and chilled the fat in an upside down mason jar in order to remove the "jelly" before storing the legs in the fat.  Is there any good use for this wonderful looking jelly.  I made a brown duck stock from the carcasses.  Can I add the jelly to this?  Should it be frozen and added to sauces or do I pitch it.

Horrors! NO!

Back away from the garbage can immediately before I have to get the fire hose out!

You can toss it into the stock, but I would use it as an additive to sauces. I am sure there are other suggestions coming up the pike...

When I make potstickers, I put a small cube of confit jelly in each dumpling. Adds a nice flavor and when you bite into the dumpling, the melted jelly gives an unexpected squirt of juice.

I ran out of homemade chicken stock so I added some confit jelly to some store-bought broth. It was great!.

Bill/SFNM

I was at a book signing for the Bouchon cookbook a while ago and got to ask Thomas Keller this very question. He suggested that, if it's not too salty, emulsifying it with some walnut oil and maybe some thyme would not be a bad idea. Unsurprisingly, he was right.

That duck rice sounds heavenly.

I roasted a chicken last week, made my usual pan gravy with flour. I would normally add water or stock, but I ran across the confit jelly in the fridge and added a slug. WOW!!! Best gravy I've made in a while.

• Similar Content

• By SobaAddict70
      I LOVE pickled ginger. In fact, in some instances, moreso than sushi or sashimi itself. When I was first introduced to sushi, it was my least favorite part of a sushi meal. Now it's the opposite.
      Besides sushi/sashimi, what other uses for pickled ginger are there? And how do you make your own? What goes in the pickling solution? Fresh pickled ginger (not premade) is undyed and a pale beige in color, whereas the premade version is a slight tawny pink.
      Any suggestions?
      Soba
    • By daniel123456789876543
      I have been making pancetta for the first time. I have experience with the curing process doing things like bacon and cold smoked salmon in the past but this is the first time I have ever hanged anything.

After a week of curing it has had 11 days  hanging so far (I was planning on taking it to 28 days hanging) Although I foolishly forgot to weigh it. 
      It smells really good like some awesome salami and the outer rim of the pancetta looks lovely and rich and dark.
      It was a recipe by Kuhlman in one of their charcuterie books.
      But when I inspected it today it had the mould growing on it as in the pics below. I have since scrubbed the mould off with white wine vinegar and returned it to the cellar. Is it wise to continue?

Daniel

• By liuzhou
      Following my posting a supermarket bought roast rabbit in the Dinner topic, @Anna N expressed her surprise at my local supermarkets selling such things just like in the west supermarkets sell rotisserie chickens. I promised to photograph the pre-cooked food round these parts.

I can't identify them all, so have fun guessing!

Rabbit

Chicken x 2

Duck

Chicken feet

Duck Feet

Pig's Ear

Pork Intestine Rolls

Stewed River Snails

Stewed Duck Feet (often served with the snails above)

Beef

Pork

Beijing  Duck gets its own counter.

More pre-cooked food to come. Apologies for some bady lit images - I guess the designers didn't figure on nosy foreigners inspecting the goods and disseminating pictures worldwide.
    • By Smarmotron
      What sorts of mustards do you like? The type of mustard I like is pungent without a hint of sweetness (fie upon honey mustards), but not too vinegary. Inglehoffer's Stone Ground tends to be rather good, but it's got a little too much vinegar (overpowers the taste of the mustard). What sorts of mustards do you like? Any brands? Or do you make your own?
    • By Eldictator
      Any ideas on how I could put a honey centre in a jelly pastille